DKs unwell and away from home

CeliB

So just had a call from DS's school nurse- he fell down the stairs and bashed his head on the wall - has been taken to hospital with concussion. Not being kept in but they have said no class for 2 days, no reading/computer/homework for 5 days etc. Had to speak to the nurse and ask her to do hourly neuro-obs for the next 12 hours as I am completely paranoid about head injury (when I was a nurse several centuries ago I once looked after a 15 year old boy who had been hit on the head with a cricket bat then sent home as fine and had  a cerebral bleed in the night and ended up totally [full body] paralysed, plus my younger sister had severe head injury after being run down on a zebra crossing 10 years ago and never regained her pre-accident capacity.....).

I suppose I don't really have a reason to post except to say I am really, really anxious, it's so hard when they are unwell (and on another continent) and you can't do anything. DS has a performance in a month's time which his AD has said is probably the most important of his career (he is dancing at a memorial attended by all the great and the good of the ballet world in the USA) and I am in fear that he will be still affected- my younger daughter had a head injury aged 9 (fell off her scooter) and it took her 6 MONTHS before she recovered from the effects (short term memory loss, emotionally fragile etc). I just hate not being there..... :(

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago, I was away on business and had a crippling sinus headache. What did I do but ring my Mum in tears. It was so lovely to know that my Mum was at the end of a phone line and could give me comfort from far away.

I am so sorry to hear about your son but I am sure he will be comforted by knowing that you are only a phone call away.

Very best wishes to you both that he has a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

All the best wishes to you CeliB and to your DS! Try and stay positive! He may just have a bruise for couple of days and that's it! Try not to imagine the worst. Hope he'll recover quickly and shine on the day of this important performance.

• Like 1

Thinking of you, CeliB. I hope that yor son makes a full and swift recovery. What is the news this morning? I would insist that your son be kept in for a few days just to be on the safe side. If he is in a US hospital and has health insurance I expect that the staff will be very cautious as they won't want a massive lawsuit if something goes wrong.

If they havent kept him in overnight then that can only be a good sign, if there was any doubt they wouldnt have sent him home.  Its amazing how much the human body can bounce without any ill-effect at times and then a simple twist of bump can leave it out of action for months.

Hope today brings brighter news - hugs.

• Like 1

However any head injury where actual concussion has occurred is worrying even though 95 percent of the time it's okay. When it happens to our own loved ones even more so if they are out of reach.....we usually manage to convince ourselves they are in that 5per cent of course!! :( Usually its fine though :)

Have you had any news this morning yet CeliB? Have you managed to speak to him yourself yet?

• Like 1

no news yet but am going with the tried and tested 'no news is good news'. And realise when I started the thread I was so overwrought I wrote DK instead of DC!- not sure what I was thinking- dancing kith/kin? who knows.... but suddenly woke up at 3am thinking 'oh no! now I will look even more demented'..

Anyway thank you all for your good wishes- I am sure I am worrying unnecessarily but I am so wary with head injury as have (alas) had more than my fair share of experience with it in the family. However as my dearest daughter pointed out, he wasn't unconscious for more than a micro second and is fit and young so will probably recover fast.

Will update when I hear more....

• Like 5

I thought you meant dancing kid at the time....which didn't quite go with the scenario you were posting somehow!!

I know there's a bit near the temple area which if you bash can easily knock yourself out briefly perhaps that's what he did.

Hope you will tell us about this performance of his next month....I'm sure he will stand out....but then am a bit biassed!!

CeliB, it would have been surprising if you weren't overwrought when you started the thread! Sending healing thoughts and prayers - for you as well as your son, it's heart-rending when our children are hurt, especially when you aren't able to 'ride to the rescue' - so you need prayers as well as your son!

Keep us in touch. Sending every best wish that he is fine in a couple of days. I feel down my stairs twice! I am clumsy...both times after a few days i was feeling much better. Our bodies are strong and its amazing how we bounce back. I am sure he will be just fine but i can only imagine your worry. He is in good hands tho by the sounds of it. Sending you hugs x

• Like 1

I agree with Livingonaprayer .  I was hit by a car when I was 13 and suffered a hairline fracture to the skull,broken elbow and wrist. My right leg was completely black with bruising where the car hit me [and sent me flying over the bonnet].4 nights on an adult ward in hospital [i had to be kept quiet to allow the head injury time to heal]. 6 months later I took an RAD ballet exam and you wouldn`t have known there had ever been anything wrong with me.! 

• Like 2