Split sole versus full sole tap shoes

Moka

I need to purchase some new tap shoes for my dd and I was wondering what type of shoe was best to get? We currently do ISYD exams, I know they have recently changed some of their tap syllabus and wonder if there is a preferred style for my dd to use. My dd is 10, tap shoes aren't the cheapest things to buy so I want to avoid spending out on something that's wrong and could affect her results.

Thanks in advance x

Could you ask her teacher to see what they suggest? I think they sometimes like the whole class in a particular grade to be wearing the same, either instep-tie or Oxfords. The teacher will know whether split-or full-sole would be best for your dd at her current level.

Shoes with Teletone taps were always recommended to us, as the teacher said they give the nicest sound.

• Like 1

Yes, when my dd did tap we asked her teacher which shoes were required. There are so many different types of tap shoes that your teacher should be able to advise you.

If I remember, for Grade 5 ISTD she had lace up Oxfords with toe and heel taps, but we bought black PU because the leather were considerably more expensive.

I have 2 DD who tap - one prefers split sole (Capezio) and the other full sole (Bloch). Both are oxford style with teletone toe and heel taps. Thankfully our dance teacher is happy for the girls to choose which they prefer and are comfortable dancing in. Shop around on line as they differ in price considerably.

I had never heard of split sole tap shoes before so I have just googled them. Very interesting reading! There's an awful lot of people saying how bad they are in terms of damaging feet, being unsupportive and dangerous, giving bad quality tap sounds and generally being unnecessary as you should be able to get onto your toes with correct technique anyway. I'm not and never have been a tapper, and would be interested to hear if our teachers think similarly.

Edited to add: my DD had to have Oxfords with teletone taps at both Tring and Hammond.

Edited by Regattah
  • Like 1