How qualified to teach?

drdance

From above:

"I am interested to know anjuli, how do people choose ballet teachers in the US and know that they are getting quality training? Perhaps there are other things that they consider which we don't?"

Well, actually we choose a ballet teacher the same way you do - sans paperwork on the wall.

By reputation.

By observing the teacher both teaching, communicating and interacting with students and parents.

By word of mouth.

By results such as attending a school recital.

I am sure that for you, too, those criteria eclipse any amount of paperwork.

I am much more concerned wiith what I see before me, than by what an organization says about one of its own.

This is true for other professionals such as a doctor, lawyer, etc.  They all have credentials - but we know there is a world of difference between one doctor and another even having graduated the same school.  When you are sitting in the doctor's office the stuff on the wall is comforting, but when he/she walk's into the room that paperwork fades from sight.

• Like 2

When I was looking for dd's first studio when she was 4yo, I was simply looking for an after school activity that she would enjoy and grow from. I knew nothing of the dance world and chose the studio based on the fact that it didn't do competition (too expensive for me!).

Within a few short years, my dd's enthusiasm and apparent skill for ballet exceeded the local studio's offerings. The teacher was wonderful to her and fostered a family feel and that was what counted at the time. She was a certified teacher with BA in dance as well as other credentials but had little experience in training a dancer at a professional level so we added associate classes which led to a full time place at vocational school at 11yo.

For the first few years at vocational, focus was primarily on technique, technique, technique! But there comes a time where that needs to applied to performance skills and at this point, I am of the opinion that a teacher with professional performance skills is essential. The wealth of personal experience that can be drawn from and shared is invaluable. All the former professional dancers who teach at dd's school have at minimum the 2 year teacher training program.

So accrediatation vs professional dance experience? Depends on the childs age/goals/needs.

• Like 7

I am not surprised that the US has produced fine dancers if many of them have Anjulis pedigree!

But I know some ex dancers who were horrified by the standards of some of the Ballet teachers in New York for example with apparently no regulation needed. Sadly many parents dont know what they are looking for so dont necessarily question whether a teacher is teaching appropriately to age,level etc. And I am well aware that there are unregulated teachers anywhere in the world.

At least some form of accreditation shows that a teacher has taken some responsibility for insurance, first aid and general welfare of students.

I have some sympathy with Anjuli over the RAD yeachers encountered. It was possible not so long ago before registration for teachers to teach RAD syllabus with fairly minimal training. This started to change when I began training and rightly so. I have mentioned elsewhere about the sort of training expected these days and it doesnt involved regurgitating syllabus. But sadly there are still many that teach that way.

• Like 3

You are right so hopefully you are one of the wise parents who can see who is right for their children and wouldnt dismiss a teacher just because he/she wasnt once a professional dancer.

And loads of qualifications doesnt mean a great teacher either. But as a parent,when looking a vocational schools it was important for me that teachers had undergone some form of teacher training. My personal experience of many ex professional dancers teaching had been often very negative as they didnt have a vocation for teaching.

I have to totally agree with Anjuli on all the points she just made.That is exactly how I chose my dds ballet teachers.Some have been qualified teachers,professional ballet dancers or neither.So for me it's much more than just that.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 3

miss.pointe have just had a look at the introduction video and I think it looks good!

This in theory could be used in ordinary schools...eg non ballet ones....though you could see in the video these pupils had obviously done ballet as well.

A pity they didn't LOOK a bit more joyous but then they were making an educational video. I'm sure the actual lessons were fun.

They seem to cover most of the basic styles anyway.

Yes, I think somewhere it says the students should have concurrent ballet training, too. Or perhaps they said something similar in an email to me. Does look pretty ok!