POB Summer school 2014

afab

Ive just looked at the Summer School Page for the first time (sorry) and it is confusing.

The initial introduction has a very good statement of intent as I would have hoped from the POB.

But when you want to find more info on admission to this Summer course it sends you to the page which seems to have the criterior for their longer courses but not the Summer School!! This is where this height and weight chart comes up.

Not that clear to me perhaps Ive missed a link there!

? Free one?

I thought you were referring to the billionaires club at first :)

The POB would hardly be free after all the years of fees paid out for training to actually get there!!!

LinMM, we're getting away from the SS here but the POB school is free. One pays for boarding only (if one boards) and it's about 500 euros a month. No training necessary to get in since they pick on physique at age 8 and over. From the age of 11, you have to be able to mix in one of their classes. All training at conservatoires is free in France... At the even of your 13th birthday, you're too old to apply for POB school!

• Like 1

I'm sure I read recently that Sylvie Guillem left POB as she got too tall and that must have been a few years ago...surprising they haven't modernised since.

Sylvie Guillem left the POB not the POB school! When you get in the company and especially with her talent, your height is irrelevant! She left to do other things...

I was just being curious  and wondered what their requirements were for full time at 16

Too late to get in at 16! You have to apply before 13... Only people invited can get in after 16 and it's very rare!

You all seem to be very confused about the SS.

Let me try and help!

There is a page for the SS with everything you need to know to apply called "Summer Intensive":

http://www.operadeparis.fr/en/L_Opera/L_Ecole_de_Danse/Stage_ete_EcoleDanse/

You need to send a specific video to apply and 2 photos.

Then there is a link to apply for the ballet school. It has nothing to do with the SS and that's where you find the charts with height and weight.

http://www.operadeparis.fr/en/L_Opera/L_Ecole_de_Danse/admission.php

One can get in between the ages of 8 and 12 (included) and after that age, only by private audition or having been spotted or having won an international competition...

That's it folks! I hope it is clearer...

• Like 4

Thanks afab Ive now got the POB!! I think!!

Well that's a turnout for the books that the tuition there is actually free!! Wish we had a similar one in UK. So obviously it's subsidised/funded by the State then. I think that is or at least was the situation in Russia too. If you were picked then you got the training for free. You can then see WHY they are SO choosy about who gets this training but would be nice if they picked more of a range of height and so on especially these days. If only they could find a lot of taller boys to train then they could be less fussy about the girls heights too!!

• Like 1

Getting back to Summer school only....yes the dates are a bit difficult for UK students....forgot French schools start their hols the end of June(wish we did....then you get the lightest days of year on holiday)

However school and public exams will be over by that date so if anyone's child should be lucky enough to get on it I would think it would be okay......though Heads can officially fine parents now for taking kids out of school interm time in UK. I think for something like this they would probably be a bit lenient....it's not exactly lying on the beach in the Costas somewhere is it?!!

• Like 1

Not related to summer school but looking at requirement heights for 13 year olds and comparing them to UK centile charts the range is form 25th centile to 75th centile - where you would expect the majority of the population to sit anyway.For weight slightly different, just btw 9th-25th centile to 50th. Think generally most French children look slighter built than ours when holidaying in France so suspect they will be using different charts. DD danced with some POB students at a summer school this year and they looked healthy.

Such a shame so many of the European summer schools are before the end of our academic year, my DD would love to try for some of them.

• Like 1

Thanks afab Ive now got the POB!! I think!!

Well that's a turnout for the books that the tuition there is actually free!! Wish we had a similar one in UK. So obviously it's subsidised/funded by the State then. I think that is or at least was the situation in Russia too. If you were picked then you got the training for free. You can then see WHY they are SO choosy about who gets this training but would be nice if they picked more of a range of height and so on especially these days. If only they could find a lot of taller boys to train then they could be less fussy about the girls heights too!!

although Russia is only free if you're Russian sadly- international students have to pay ($15,000 for Vaganova, think something comparable for Bolshoi).

Yes it's a shame not more scholarships to Russia for really talented pupils but then at least they have got that for Russians and obviously the French have......or can a foreigner be accepted at POB and it would still be free for them too....afab??

In UK there isn't an equivalent....I know there are scholarships but no school which has a general policy of offering free tuition to their successful applicants.

I don't know LinMM. I have the feeling it is free for all but I can't find anything confirming it... There are a few foreigners, literally maybe a couple. They have been recruited in international competitions directly by the director.

• Like 1