POB Summer school 2014

afab

Out of sheer nosiness I had a look at the height/weight charts, how bizarre! They have a difference between max & min height of 3cm but that spans the entire year, so for example a girl 8 years 1 month of 135 cm is ok but one of 8 years 11 months of 136cm is not, although they are actually shorter or am I being stupid? Similar thing with weight and those dancing say 10 hours a week will surely have a bigger muscle mass than those dancing 2 hours a week.

• Like 2

Hi afab, do you mean that the POB school doesn't adhere to their height/weight regulations when admitting new students - and if so, I can't imagine why they would keep them on the website, which seems to state baldly that students who don't fall within the stated parameters will not be considered. I have to say they have always seemed bizarre to me, as it is patently obvious that in any class of 10 or 11 year olds there will be some who have very little further growing to do before they reach full adult height and some who won't 'shoot up' until their mid teens and yet all of them may eventually be the 'desired' adult height and shape for classical ballet.

Having said that, it must work for the POB school...;-)

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 1

They do adhere to it and they don't at the same time. When DD1 auditioned, a while back now, I met a mother whose DD was way too small and she had a wrist Xray with her to show her "bone age"...

When DD2 auditioned last year, she was older than what you find on the chart because of her date of birth, hence taller and heavier, and it was no problem to be allowed to audition. On top of that, we filled the form in November and she auditioned in May so she had grown and put on weight of course. They simply asked her if her weight there was the same as her weight at home...

Ha

• Like 2

I suppose they do. But they are also known for assessing out kids who are at adolescence either too tall, not thin enough or not tall enough (especially boys). Don't forget that their aim is to provide dancers for the corps de ballet... But of course all of this doesn't apply to the SS.

The POB sounds more and more like a sort of club!!

Don't mention Degas have just had a go at them about their website and general customer service especially as they charge the earth for their leotards!! Another sort of POB (pay of billionaire)! ;(

• Like 3

? Free one?

I thought you were referring to the billionaires club at first :)

The POB would hardly be free after all the years of fees paid out for training to actually get there!!!

It does worry me though all this insistence on being ultra thin etc but anyway this doesn't apply to their summer school presumably. Or does it?

I downloaded the form which is linked above and that is where I found this weight/height chart.  Some children are naturally thin and fine boned but I think limiting children at such a small age is quite tragic.  It is such a shame that certain schools have certain looks and then cut out such a lot of talent.  I do love to watch POB but I also love the ATB where girls are more muscular.  nose off despite faces comes to mind! 

• Like 1

I will Sheila

But first I know its the wrong place but thanks so much for getting the Dancers Nutrition book to me so fast etc. Ive already read the first five chapters and I think I might order another copy and send it to the POB!!!

Seriously I will tell you the saga in a PM it was with the French site I think as it sent me to Europe!! Needless to say I didn't buy anything but then they are horrendously expensive though admittedly beautifully designed! And I couldn't get any sense out of them!

And I do hope the POB have good nutrition experts looking after their dancers so that they don't all have osteoporosis by the time they are 40!!

To get back to topic though I can't believe that the POB would have height/weight restrictions for a summer school surely not.

A summer school should be open to all who have the required standards to attend it.

A chance even for students to enjoy the expertise of teachers and the facilities there and the kudos of having been to the school even though they normally may have no chance to get into the School itself as a permanent student(well as permanent as any student at a ballet school can be these days it seems)

They shouldn't be using the summer school as an extra auditioning procedure......they already have more than enough students trying to gain a place there every year in the usual way.

The school can do what it likes, just like The Royal Ballet International summer school does, which is audition by photographs. I have never seen a large student at The Royal, sorry but I haven't. I actually looked at photographs of older POB students and to me they looked like ballerinas just perfect. They didn't look too thin, not in the photographs I saw anyway. So I think the weight thing is a guide line. When we have filled in application forms for ballet schools in England, all of them ask for students height and weight and the same question to the parents, not sure if the weight thing is still on there for parents anymore? The point I'm making is we can all have a point of what the school should or shouldn't do, but at the end of the day it's the schools decision. I don't think it mentions weight for the summer school but it does say for those aspiring to be professional dancers. Therefore the course is not there just for fun, it's serious training. If the body isn't right for serious ballet training it will get injured, especially in point. If the tone of my comments have come across as brisk, I didn't intend it to, just writing as I'm thinking and not saying it all too well.

When we have filled in application forms for ballet schools in England, all of them ask for students height and weight and the same question to the parents, not sure if the weight thing is still on there for parents anymore?

I *sincerely* hope not!!

• Like 3

Yes I agree Tulip they should have reached the required standards for a summer school some discrepancy has to be in place but not too much the height and weight thing.....some children attend at quite a young age....though don't know what age you have tobe for the POB one. At YBSS last year there seemed to be girls from about 11-16 there......all of a very good to excellent standard for their age.

But in the end I suppose it is their Summer School (the POB I mean) just a pity from my point of view if there are these weight and height restrictions as not all aspiring dancers will be intending to go to POB as a company.