Different contemporary styles?

taxi4ballet

Well if this 'snobbery' does exist, it's not in places like the Royal Ballet or why would they be actively embracing choreographers such as Wayne McGregor?

Also contemporary lessons form a major part of the syllabus at Upper School.

I'm sure it doesn't at the RBS but most people don't know much about the RBS and what's going on there however admirable.

Just the within the public generally and some ballet schools/teachers.

I think it started right at the beginning when Martha Graham developed Contemporary style as a reaction to Ballet which she deemed at the time as unnatural and more rigid. She wanted a freer form of Dance.(but then of course that style took on its own restrictions)

There was a certain mistrust from both sides for a very long time which of course has now been broken down and there is much more interaction and so on.

But not everyone has caught up with this more modern approach to accepting ballet and contemporary side by side unfortunately!

Just to add to the music and movement post when I say there was a "deterioration" I meant that from the teachers side.....as they were then less involved in producing own lessons. The kids were happy with any movement as it got them out of the classroom whether it came from the teacher or a taped voice!! I thought the lessons were okay for 5-8 year olds but not that good for older kids.

If the class is compulsory then I feel strongly that it should be taught by a teacher and not a student!!!!

If it was a recreational dance club then a sixth former might be acceptable - IF the club was optional AND if a teacher supervised throughout all the classes. I would not be happy with my dd participating otherwise!

I saw a GCSE dance at a prize giving evening. 1 of the dancers was very good (trained), another of the dancers was good (trained) but the rest couldn't keep up, did not know the dance at all and thought it was all a giggle. my then 9 year old dd could of done better. Yes I don't know much about dance but you could see that it was not good.

Well I've just come home from watching 4 amazing dancers from Retina Dance Company " chucking themselves about and rolling around on the floor" albeit with the most fantastic technique :-D.

The more contemporary I watch the more I absolutely love it even if I don't always understand it!

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 6

LinMM, you took the words out of my mouth when you suggested that the GCSE dance teacher may feel threatened by a classically trained dancer attending the class. Obviously I have no idea whether this is part of the issue, but it happens so often in many different scenarios. DD loves and excels in sport but she and her other academically able friends have noticed that awards for sporting excellence are almost always given to those pupils who struggle with academics, even when their sporting achievements are not on a par with those of the academic pupils, almost as though the sports teachers don't like acknowledging that some pupils do well in several areas of school life. There may be an element of this in the GCSE dance teacher's attitude towards a classical dancer who excels in ballet.

Well I've just come home from watching 4 amazing dancers from Retina Dance Company " chucking themselves about and rolling around on the floor" albeit with the most fantastic technique :-D.

The more contemporary I watch the more I absolutely love it even if I don't always understand it!

I think my dd isn't a fan of rolling around on the floor because she comes home covered in bruises, and with grazes on the top of her feet!

• Like 3

For those who may interested, Louisa Chester of the CDA link I posted above sent me this email which has a little more info about the course:

The Contemporary Dance Association (CDA) is a new creative and inspiring contemporary dance syllabus aimed at students aged 9+. 

We offer Bronze Silver and Gold awards, then Lower and Higher Intermediate followed by Advanced and Advanced Plus. From Lower Intermediate the examinations must be followed in order.

The syllabus is designed to teach a strong understanding of contemporary dance following Graham and Cunningham techniques. Pupils and teachers will also be allowed to follow their creative and artistic flair in the choreography and improvisation sections of each examination.

Weekly Ballet lessons are essential to run alongside the syllabus, as its the foundation of all contemporary dance, hence why we asked to be accredited with a board that undertakes ballet. 

To gain membership if no prior contemporary training has been undertaken you will need to study the syllabus and enter the Higher Intermediate Examination to gain Full Teacher Status. The length it takes to study the syllabus depends on the experience of the teacher, we also have teaching reference DVDs to refer back to.

The membership fees for becoming a member and the exam specification, cd's and dvd's are available on our website

Courses are available either in Leicester or at your own studio, prices depend on location and hours spent. Most school have had courses to learn the work and then referred back using the DVD.

• 5 months later...

WatkinsDance Contemporary Summer Course Age 14-19 at the Rambert School, London 2nd - 5th August 2014

Are you aged 14-19 and looking for something to keep you engaged this summer?

WatkinsDance Summer Course 2nd-5th August 2014. Ballet, Contemporary, African, Creative and WatkinsDance Rep. Guest teachers include: Bawren Tavaziva, Hannah Kidd, Holly Noble, Katie Cambridge and WatkinsDance dancers Lauren Wilson and Ellen Yilma.

Fee:£150.

To book your place please download a booking form from the website and send to: Anna@watkinsdance.co.uk http://www.watkinsda...mer-Course.html

WatkinsDance, I couldn't help noticing that you have put the same advert on four threads, all today.

Since it was me who started this particular thread, it would be helpful to me if you could possibly help by giving an explanation of the different contemporary methods and styles...?

Thank you

• Like 1