Questions about Upper School auditions

3 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

I truly feel for you 😢

But my heart goes out to all those I have shared this forum with over the years who’s Ds/Dds have graduated either last year or this with little hope of employment 😖 Who could have foreseen that this is how their dreams would end 😢

Yes, my DD2 is one of them... and now DD3 is in drama school with prospects disappearing too... 😢

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

I truly feel for you 😢

But my heart goes out to all those I have shared this forum with over the years who’s Ds/Dds have graduated either last year or this with little hope of employment 😖 Who could have foreseen that this is how their dreams would end 😢

My DD should be graduating this year. 
She stayed on her own over the Christmas holidays as she couldn’t return home. So looking forward to seeing her housemates this weekend. Now another lockdown. No idea what she’s going to do. Stick it out and stay put with online lessons or try to return home if she can secure a flight but then has to go into mandatory isolation. Not her 3rd and final year that any of them had hoped or planned for. Let alone thinking ahead to employment. 

On a positive note though, a local friend who graduated last summer, has just secured a 6 month contract in the UAE so there’s still hope 🤞🏼

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling disheartened this morning... I sent a video to the school that I would like to attend and I got a no this morning.  Its just that according to the video platform, they didn't even view my video, they just went by what I put on the form with the payment... not a UK school 

Edited by Oakley
11 minutes ago, Oakley said:

Feeling disheartened this morning... I sent a video to the school that I would like to attend and I got a no this morning.  Its just that according to the video platform, they didn't even view my video, they just went by what I put on the form with the payment... not a UK school 

I’m so sorry to hear your news. Without knowing the details of the school concerned, its rather difficult to comment. Please don’t take it to heart, in fact take it as a positive. They hadn’t seen your video so the decision was made on administrative basis not your ability and skills but could have been based on if the school is in the Eu with the decision purely on Brexit (outside their control) issues concerning potential students from the UK as well as the unknown quantity of Covid for this coming autumn and those from outside the country accessing the school. 
If the school is further afield that latter (Covid) could be the reason. 
Take a deep breath, keep the faith and don’t let this little blip stop you following your dreams. They might just need a tweak. ☺️

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, balletbean said:

I’m so sorry to hear your news. Without knowing the details of the school concerned, its rather difficult to comment. Please don’t take it to heart, in fact take it as a positive. They hadn’t seen your video so the decision was made on administrative basis not your ability and skills but could have been based on if the school is in the Eu with the decision purely on Brexit (outside their control) issues concerning potential students from the UK as well as the unknown quantity of Covid for this coming autumn and those from outside the country accessing the school. 
If the school is further afield that latter (Covid) could be the reason. 
Take a deep breath, keep the faith and don’t let this little blip stop you following your dreams. They might just need a tweak. ☺️

Thanks for that Balletbean, I suppose I feel a bit cheated that they didn't give me a chance.  The school is in the EU and I can try again in another few months but I'm just wondering if there's any point if they won't go further then my application form... I asked if maybe there was something that I filled out incorrectly but I got quite a short reply stating that it was at the discretion of the artistic director.

Just now, Oakley said:

Thanks for that Balletbean, I suppose I feel a bit cheated that they didn't give me a chance.  The school is in the EU and I can try again in another few months but I'm just wondering if there's any point if they won't go further then my application form... I asked if maybe there was something that I filled out incorrectly but I got quite a short reply stating that it was at the discretion of the artistic director.

I can feel your disappointment but maybe can be seen as a blessing. Hard I know but one that you have to take on board. How would you feel if you did secure a place,  paid the fees, arranged travel and accommodation but then couldn’t attend due to Visa or Covid issues? 
Keep the faith and maybe look closer to home, so there’s no gap in your training (as best as we all can) during these unsettling times. There could always be an opportunity to reconsider the EU in another year or two. 🤞🏼

• Like 1
On 14/01/2021 at 10:56, Oakley said:

The school is in the EU and I can try again in another few months

On 14/01/2021 at 11:02, balletbean said:

There could always be an opportunity to reconsider the EU in another year or two

I am sorry you were disappointed in this way,Oakley and I would second Balletbean. If you wait a little and continue with your training in the UK and expand your experience in different ways to strenthen you technique, knowledge and portfolio there will be opportunities to study in the EU later I am sure.

Even boards of institutions will be a little jittery right now with Covid restrictions and the impact of travel, lockdowns, continuity of training and the financial implications on businesses, nevermind arranging student visas for UK students, that extreme caution will probably a driving force.

Patience.

My DD is constantly changing her expectations, her plans and direction to fit in with circumstances. My musical D is now marooned with us at home and can't return to college, even if it reopens, because of the latest flight ban news.  

So keep positive and focused and your day will come.

Presently, some colleagues are looking at designing a new international course specifically to facilitate mobility as well as provide good training. Just wait and keep working towards your goals.