Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dancermum have u looked at Notpushymum forum ? Prob get answers there . Think at all the MT schools it's ballet jazz singing and acting type auditions but my DD is at MT sch and it was the dancing that got her place ! She had never sang or acted but now loves it. I would ring them I'm sure they would be happy to help .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, my daughter is on the reserve list for Dada for Laine for Diploma and just wondered if anyone on here knew of anyone not taking a Laine dada in favour of going to another school. She was devastated when we found out yesterday and I just wanted to see if it was realistic that she still stood a chance? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dancemaddad said:

Hi Everyone, my daughter is on the reserve list for Dada for Laine for Diploma and just wondered if anyone on here knew of anyone not taking a Laine dada in favour of going to another school. She was devastated when we found out yesterday and I just wanted to see if it was realistic that she still stood a chance? Thanks in advance

I think there is still movement as DaDA doesn't work for everyone.

My boy was offered full scholarship for Laine and his friend offered DaDA  which was no good for him.. We turned down the scholarship, his friend was invited to funding audition and was offered scholarship so that released a DaDA. That's just from the one school so could be happening all over .I think lots of posters have said the same thing re movement.

Good luck!

• Like 2

A few years ago I had a pupil with three offers, degree course and two dada. I seem to remember there was a central body administering dadas and May was when she had to make a decision. She chose one of the dadas which of course released a dada for someone and a place on a degree course (different institution) for someone else.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 22:34, Dancemaddad said:

Thanks for your response w445403 that is encouraging do you know if it was recently that the dada was turned down? Just wondered if it would have already been taken into account before the waiting list was released? Thanks 

it was about 2 weeks ago I think. Hope things work out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 15:13, sarahw said:

Hi - we're trying to get on top of US audition photos. Central have no current or previous photo information on their web site. Can anyone remember what photos they've needed in the past?

Many thanks!

I will pm you

Oh no …………….. the dreaded developpe photo again! I remember the good old days when I thought it was just about lifting your leg up as high as it would go - but no, got to think about turnout and relaxed arms and not grimacing and ‘alignment’………… We also have a mercifully short list - dd has 2 schools that she really really wants to go to, plus another 2 that she might want to go to so we’ll apply! Back-up is local 6th form and then adding a few MT schools to the list for entry at 18. Deep breath, and here we go ……………..

I know audition leotards have been discussed before - I remember reading about them in the days when our need of one was too distant to bother making notes! Searching ‘audition leotard’ draws a blank. So, what are the preferred choices of leotard styles and colours? To what extent does one choose a leotard to stand out? I’m thinking high leg, not black or blue…….

My Dd's JA/MA teacher is a fan of the Carla Arabesque Leo, although with the straps shortens & some of the front ruching removed. Beautifully high legged which helps make those with the long legs short bodies have incredibly long legs & those that don't look longer legged. She hated the children to wear their associate Leos as she suits the panel know who they are already. 

• Like 1

Dans-Ez D911 is a very flattering camisole leotard with high cut legs and an adjustable neckline so it can be plain or gathered. Not sure if it is available in colours other than black or purple though?

It has served DD well as an exam leotard and audition leotard as it isn't too low at the back and the high cut is at the hip bones so it doesn't look overly high-cut in a 1980s Jamie Lee Curtis fashion....

• Like 2

On 14/08/2017 at 20:34, Legseleven said:

Dans-Ez D911 is a very flattering camisole leotard with high cut legs and an adjustable neckline so it can be plain or gathered. Not sure if it is available in colours other than black or purple though?

It has served DD well as an exam leotard and audition leotard as it isn't too low at the back and the high cut is at the hip bones so it doesn't look overly high-cut in a 1980s Jamie Lee Curtis fashion....

Dans-Ez D911 looks like a very flattering cut. Any idea where to buy it? Out of stock at Dance Direct and style not showing on the Dans-Ez website. I wonder if it's been discontinued?

2 hours ago, arabesque1 said:

Dans-Ez D911 looks like a very flattering cut. Any idea where to buy it? Out of stock at Dance Direct and style not showing on the Dans-Ez website. I wonder if it's been discontinued?

We just had one delivered from Planet Dance. They were on offer from Dance Direct so have sold out - twice the price from Planet Dance but at least they have some. It is a lovely leotard! https://www.planetdancedirect.co.uk/Dans-ez-V-Leg-Microfibre-Camisole-Leotard

• Like 2

It seems to be so difficult to find a classical ballet leotard with a high leg and delicate looking straps that don't need shortening and altering at the front to get rid of the 'pinched in' look? As I understand it, it does help to appear exquisite for auditions and the cut of the leotard is important...

Hi all, Currently researching possible sixth form entry and wondering if those lovely DC that have just been offered a place for September could help. 

What Grade/Mark was achieved in the recent ballet exam. If that's not being too personal.  

My DD attended a couple of SS's and appeared to be a grade or two lower than most of the pupils at the same age and is now having a crisis of confidence and whether she is at the right grade to even apply let alone audition for sixth form. Watching the review at the end of the week of the SS I couldn't tell the difference but DD can't get this Grade level thing out of her head!

We are not sure what Grade/level the Vocational schools are expecting their new pupils to be at when they start. and therefore unsure what to expect at an audition. 

I hope some of that makes some kind of sense. 

Thank you

Balletbean, please please encourage your dd not to get too hung up on grades. It is my belief that upper schools are still looking for potential at 16, albeit a certain level of ability/technique is obviously required. If a school sees what they are looking for in your dd at audition, I think grade will be irrelevant and in any case, not all students will be on the same grade at time of auditioning for upper schools for a whole host of reasons. These schools absolutely know what they are looking for and I'm sure it comes down to so much more than grades. I speak as someone who knows nothing about ballet, but as a parent of a dd who has been through lower & upper school. Good luck with it all.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Moneypenny said:

Balletbean, please please encourage your dd not to get too hung up on grades. It is my belief that upper schools are still looking for potential at 16, albeit a certain level of ability/technique is obviously required. If a school sees what they are looking for in your dd at audition, I think grade will be irrelevant and in any case, not all students will be on the same grade at time of auditioning for upper schools for a whole host of reasons. These schools absolutely know what they are looking for and I'm sure it comes down to so much more than grades. I speak as someone who knows nothing about ballet, but as a parent of a dd who has been through lower & upper school. Good luck with it all.

Thank you Moneypenny, This has only happened since she has returned from a couple of the SS. Never realizing before how low her Grades were in comparison to her peers. 

It's so reassuring to hear your experience. I've tried to explain that even within a Grade marks can vary greatly and being of a higher grade doesn't automatically guarantee stronger technique. But we all know what teenagers can be like when they get a bee in their bonnet. Bless them all. 

I will keep on trying...........................  

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

Many vocational schools will set initial auditions around intermediate to advanced 1 level. This is in terms of steps and terminology not that they have to have them as some candidates will not have done any exams. Some schools do not do them. You could ask her teacher what she thinks. How did your dd cope in summer school? If she managed to keep up with her peers then that is a better indicator than grade.

• Like 1

Some students won't learn according to an exam system so won't have a 'last exam taken/grade achieved' to confirm. Others may not take exams or every exam, for various reasons e.g. exam fees or inability to attend an exam session. I'm sure your DD's teacher can confirm at what level she is working and this can be entered on the application form. A friend of DD's had been unable to take exams after grade 4 because of financial difficulties in her family - they prioritised classes over exam fees - but her teacher advised that she was working at an Advanced 1 level for her application forms and this was no problem. 

• Like 1

Do you mean the grade as in intermediate etc or pass merit distinction? 

I know students who have got merits and the occasional distinctions who have got places on top associate schemes. Similarly students who have consistently achieved the very highest distinctions that can't get places because they aren't the right build or they have always been lucky with examiners and very showy over danced exams have wound up with top grades that would make an audition panel cringe. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. 

I must admit I thought it was based on Pass Merit & Distinction. I am obviously wrong. 

I watched the presentations at the end of the SS's as I was keen not to just watch my DD but also to see where she was pitched within her class and the rest. I felt that she held her own beautifully. However, as we all know the supportive words of a mum doesn't always work when it comes to teenagers and when they get something fixated in their mind no amount of reassuring words will work. They have to work it out in their own good time and way.

Your posts have been very reassuring and ones I will share to show DD, that it appears that even though the application paperwork plays some part it boils down to the audition and how they perform on the day. Just like an academic exam. On judgement day it can all go brilliantly well or pear-shaped. Fingers crossed. :huh: