Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Julie apart from the two students who had been training at the international school at Bolshoi, the other 6th form students are mostly between 16 and 19 and it is very small at the moment. They also have students that are younger that train most evenings after school and on Saturdays . There are students there that have left other full time schools to finish their training at LRBS.

Just a question about the Hammond audition, does anybody know if the suggestions that they give for the Shakespear monologues are the only ones they can choose from or can they do a different one? DD has already been working on a different one in her drama lessons. I did ask the school but the answer wasn't clear and I don't want to look like a complete idiot by asking the same question again(even if I am a complete idiot for not understanding!)

Thanks

Dramascientist

Hi Dramascientist

Even though it is less than 12 months ago I cannot remember there being a choice of monologues.

I do remember that my dd did stick to the what they stated regarding the contempory speech (play post 1960) she found this challenging as she had never had individual drama lessons and struggled finding something suitable.

I would usually say stick with what the requirements of the school are, but your dd has to be comfortable with her choice. It is only a minute at the end of a long day ,and only my opinion,  if your dd makes it this far as some are let go at lunchtime, they will have already made up their minds about her.

Good Luck to your dd and all the  DC's and DP's auditioning this year it is exciting as it is  stressful.

Picturesinthefirelight Yes we had an invitation to audition and an information sheet with a selection of Shakespeare monologues.

Hairbelles maybe they have included some suggestions this year because people were not sure if they hadn't studied much Shakespeare?

Meadowblythe thanks for your pm, I'm really unsure about what to do because DD really likes the piece she's been practicing but I don't want her to ruin her chances just by not "obeying the rules" .

Aaaah I'm already stressed and its still a couple of months away!

Funnily enough I never thought to this question - my understanding (now!) is yes, some certainly do.  Just when I thought I could breathe ....

Might be worth asking at auditions although I dare say the answers will come flooding in here ...

I guess the other question is what happens then?  And presumably it is /for A level/Btec/Trinity/Degree courses ?

Moderators - should this be a new thread?

We are in Australia and putting together dvd auditions. Although my dd would love to be accepted into RBS, she realises that the rest of the world wants to go there too and that we would need to discover a money tree in the back yard to afford it. We plan to send the dvd to a number of schools in London (which is where we can get work). 

Does anyone know if ENBS is as hard to get into as RBS and Elmhurst?

Yes Pastel I am afraid ENB is just as hard to get into as RBS & Elmhurst.  They too are looking at the whole world.  Last year as well as regular auditions they held a one week summer school in USA from which two or three students were offered places.  (Someone else might know the exact numbers). 

• Like 1

Oh dear! Is there any hope?

Yes! But only if you audition!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Its good to be realistic though in order to prepare for possible/probable disappointment. But unless you try you never know! And anyone who auditions should be proud of taking that step because by proving you can go through it you prove you can pretty much tackle anything!

• Like 8

Thanks hfbrew! That's how my dd feels - nothing ventured, nothing gained. She is working on her audition material and feels that the work she puts in will improve her technique, no matter the result of the audition. I'm sure it is true and she is spending an extra hour each day at the studio practicing on her own.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any thoughts on a realistic number of auditions to attend - my thinking is go for the ones you really want, but in doing that if not successful it may then be too late to apply for others particularly if you need funding - what a conundrum!! :unsure: