Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Would thoroughly agree with Picturesinthefirelight - make sure you know the words of your song and your monologue - it always seems to me that Hammond value the students who care enough to think things out for themselves, and can make themselves stand out  - to learn a speech other than the set suggestions, to be able to explain what is happening at that point in the play, to choreograph something themselves and to learn the words of a song.  I would look at possibly some of the less popular musicals.  If you are the 15th student singing, for example, something from Les Mis, in in the afternoon but you are not very confident you will not hold their interest in the same way as if you are the only student singing something from say an early Sondheim, which is probably musically very interesting.

My DS certainly wasn't the worlds best singer but they explained that they need to know what they are taking on and how the balance of talents would pan out.

Good luck to your DD - there are some wonderful teachers at The Hammond.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear meadowblythe,

Thanks for advice on Hammond my dd main focus is dance

And as I previously stated she is so very nervous about singing

That she says no to doing the audition.

I think she could just about manage a monologue even though she doesn't do drama.

I wish she had a little more confidence but that's easy for me to say.

I'm not the one who is doing it :/

I will be sure to show her all the comments and see what she thinks .

Thanks

How about having a few singing lessons beforehand to work on a song and get a bit of confidence? I'm quite happy singing in a choir myself but went all warbly the day I had to sing on my own to the director!

• Like 3

I took individual singing lessons for about six months at the Manchester School of Music,also Speech and Drama.Never did anything with either but the standard of teachers was excellent. For the singing,I was assessed to see if I had any sort of a voice that could be trained.I had to first of all sing the scales to someone who decided I was a soprano.It was also to assess if I had some sort of a voice.They would not take on someone who was completely tone deaf. I think the fees were £75 a term, plus the same again for the Speech and Drama. This was some years ago now.

Hi Swan Princess I may be able to find this out next Tuesday as am doing a class there Tuesday morning(for adults) you will probably find out quicker on the Forum though!! Am also in touch from time to time with a parent who has a DS there at the moment so I can ask her too!! I am not sure what the academic side is there for their vocational students but it is a fairly smallish concern so you would get plenty of attention in ballet class etc!!

I should imagine its optional but am in the process of finding out!!

They also do a "post grad" training which seems to be largely concentrated on dancing skills/artistry and general development as a dancer and you can also take "A levels on this course......which is obviously aimed at post 18 year olds.

The London Russian do seem to do alot of performing too and have links not only with the local community and a round London but within Russia for exchanges and so on but if there are others on here who have dc's already training there they may know more about this. :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the A'levels are optional or not because my dd is definitely doing A'levels! Regarding funding, they will definitely advise about this but it is a very small school and you need to speak to them directly about it.

I would definitely say the training is fantastic and you have the advantage of VERY small classes. What's also great is that they perform loads, as Lin says. The next performance is on Friday 15th November 7.30pm at Cadogan Hall (Chelsea, Central London). Tickets are always for sale to the public and I would recommend anyone who is interested to try and get to the performance because it would give you an idea of the level the children are dancing at.  Both vocational and non-vocational students perform by the way, so some may be less polished than others. There is no "tried and tested" route here really however - inasmuchas they won't be able to give you a long list of alumni and where they are now dancing or what companies they are with, because not many have been through the system yet. I think there are only 4 or 5 currently in the sixth form but I may be mistaken. My Dd's teacher taught the first (or is it second) boy to be accepted for the Bolshoi school from this country and there are currently ex-bolshoi school students there who are post 18 year olds. Hope this helps and feel free to PM me!

and I should add that there are some great perks and privileges for example the opportunity to watch Bolshoi dress rehearsals in the summer at the Opera House in the best seats in the house. (my DD got to see Jewels and some older students saw 2 or 3 dress rehearsals including the one that was amazing I think it was Flames of Paris) I think some older students may even have been invited to take company class with the Bolshoi once or twice as well. the school does require 100% commitment however and they won't let you dance anywhere else if you are with them - but I think lots of places are like this. I've come across students from the well known vocational schools in the past who were attending various extra lessons, workshops, summer schools etc. "in secret".

Edited by Gingerbread
  • Like 1

Gingerbread has pretty much said it all regarding LRBS, my two started there 2011 and my eldest was the first student along with a boy student to start in their 6th form I'm not sure how many r doing A Levels but Think it is about 6 but don't quote me on that. My DD is doing Russian and French and I know that some are doing Art and RS. Highly recommend going to see the show that is what we did when we first found out about the school which was from this forum where we read about Henry Perkins who trained at LRBS and from there he went to Bolshoi.I can only say that my DDs have improved so much and they love the Russian Style.

• Like 1

Afab not sure if you can skip A LEVELS or not but at a guess I would say they would want all students to take them as they love education, my daughter has been pushed a lot in a good way with her academics. Just wanted to add enjoyed reading all your posts about the auditions in France especially as my hubby is half French.

• Like 1

I think that A levels are compulsory. The fees aren't huge but they are fees!! the school offers help to some students, My DD has an audition next week (eek) and will only be able to go (if she gets in) with help with the fees.  I feel very sad that we can't just send her......but we are reliant on scholarships or loans etc. Great to hear that others here have DC at the school and recommend it.....very heartening. My DD will need to board as we live too far away to commute!  all very scary.

Afab not sure if you can skip A LEVELS or not but at a guess I would say they would want all students to take them as they love education, my daughter has been pushed a lot in a good way with her academics. Just wanted to add enjoyed reading all your posts about the auditions in France especially as my hubby is half French.

Thanks Double Trouble! I suppose it would depend on how many A levels they would want DD to take. You see she would already have her French equivalent so she's not very keen on studying for the English ones as well! Bonjour de ma part au mari à moitié français!

Sorry I don't know anything about accommodation but there are students that live far away, I know of one boy who comes from Wales but don't know if his accommodation was sorted by LRBS. Best to call up or if auditioning ask when at school.Also regarding funding they do have bursaries but I don't know how many, they also have their own charity called kids love Lambeth where they perform in local schools and also Do lessons for children that otherwise would be unable to have ballet classes.Swan princess and Afab will pm u tomorrow.????

£22k+ a year - ouch! I'm do feel for you all this year again with the change in DaDA funding. My son's choices would've been severely limited if we hadn't have had the old DaDA system when he was going to upper school.

Good luck everyone

• Like 5

I'm not sure if the A'levels are optional or not because my dd is definitely doing A'levels! Regarding funding, they will definitely advise about this but it is a very small school and you need to speak to them directly about it.

I would definitely say the training is fantastic and you have the advantage of VERY small classes. What's also great is that they perform loads, as Lin says. The next performance is on Friday 15th November 7.30pm at Cadogan Hall (Chelsea, Central London). Tickets are always for sale to the public and I would recommend anyone who is interested to try and get to the performance because it would give you an idea of the level the children are dancing at.  Both vocational and non-vocational students perform by the way, so some may be less polished than others. There is no "tried and tested" route here really however - inasmuchas they won't be able to give you a long list of alumni and where they are now dancing or what companies they are with, because not many have been through the system yet. I think there are only 4 or 5 currently in the sixth form but I may be mistaken. My Dd's teacher taught the first (or is it second) boy to be accepted for the Bolshoi school from this country and there are currently ex-bolshoi school students there who are post 18 year olds. Hope this helps and feel free to PM me!

and I should add that there are some great perks and privileges for example the opportunity to watch Bolshoi dress rehearsals in the summer at the Opera House in the best seats in the house. (my DD got to see Jewels and some older students saw 2 or 3 dress rehearsals including the one that was amazing I think it was Flames of Paris) I think some older students may even have been invited to take company class with the Bolshoi once or twice as well. the school does require 100% commitment however and they won't let you dance anywhere else if you are with them - but I think lots of places are like this. I've come across students from the well known vocational schools in the past who were attending various extra lessons, workshops, summer schools etc. "in secret".

Julie I referred to that issue in my earlier post