Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WL like the boys to be small!

Back to exams for a moment (although this is probably a topic for a separate thread).  Looking at most local dance schools - the majority of their students are going to be dancing recreationally and exams are something to aim for, and nice to see what result they can get.  Certainly, since my daughter gave up her aspirations of being a dancer at about 11, she has carried on working hard towards her RAD and ISTD dance exams and likes to get the highest mark she can (the same as with music exams - I'm sure most people who take them aren't trying to get into music college or have a career as a musician).

• Like 1

I think some of the subjects on offer at Gmmond not only benefit the children such as my dd who want to do musical theatre but the more ballet minded to. After all a drama class helps all form of dance, ballet tells a story with characters after all.

In Year 7 at Hammond the children get 7 ballet classes per week, 2 tap, 2 modern, 2 Pilates, 1 stretch, 1 drama & 1 vocal training.

I think people assume it is more musical theatre because lower school students do get the opportunity to take part in musical theatre productions if they wish and because obviously they offer a diploma in musical theatre aswell as the diploma in dance for their professional students (16+) However the lower school dancers do have a dance show each summer with the diploma dance students.  They also still have the opportunity to take RAD exams at the school, up to and including advanced 2.

• Like 1

dd is in Y9 and although has a couple of modern and tap lessons a week, has more ballet in place of pilates and stretch.  I don't think any of the schools do pure classical ballet all the time, I am sure (although I am happy to be corrected) even WL do National dance.  I think dancers need to be very versatile today, even if their heart lies with classical.  

Hi, if memory serves my right I'm sure it is when they have finished auditioning at every venue.

HI all. We were told yesterday at DD WL audition, that letters would arrive within a week or two for decisions on whether the dancers are through to the second audition in Richmond. (Bath centre)

HI all. We were told yesterday at DD WL audition, that letters would arrive within a week or two for decisions on whether the dancers are through to the second audition in Richmond. (Bath centre)

Yes we were at bath auditions for WL yesterday too and told the same...a week or two for full time but decisions about associate courses will take longer but will be before Easter. Very very competitive warming up sessions going on yesterday :-) definitely not for the faint hearted ....felt sorry for some poor souls that clearly didn't want to enter the warm up studio :-(

Yes we were at bath auditions for WL yesterday too and told the same...a week or two for full time but decisions about associate courses will take longer but will be before Easter. Very very competitive warming up sessions going on yesterday :-) definitely not for the faint hearted ....felt sorry for some poor souls that clearly didn't want to enter the warm up studio :-(

I'm not sure which class you were attending Amandalou, maybe a later class for the older Mid Associates? We were the first class, so mostly JAs trying for MIDs year 7. From my point of view it's difficult to see what is competitive warming up and what is simply injury avoidance. I encourage my DD to warm up and stretch because the body is stiff that early and I know she will be asked to do the splits!

I'm not sure which class you were attending Amandalou, maybe a later class for the older Mid Associates? We were the first class, so mostly JAs trying for MIDs year 7. From my point of view it's difficult to see what is competitive warming up and what is simply injury avoidance. I encourage my DD to warm up and stretch because the body is stiff that early and I know she will be asked to do the splits!

I wasnt at the auditions yesterday but from my experience some will warm up quietly and in their own space, others will make a very grand exhibition of their warming up process - often encouraged by over-enthusiastic parents - becomes a battle of the minds, good luck to everyone awaiting their results.

• Like 2

Yes it was a later older year group than yours and don't get me wrong I Agree with the whole warming up thing to prevent injury and enhance performance and my DD doesn't mind the competitiveness either as she can hold her own when she's got her ballet shoes on :-) I did find it a very competitive group (more so than normal) and even overheard a parent who I have seen at other events making a comment about my DD and sadly DD overheard her too. Luckily it made her more determined and didn't affect her performance. There were definitely children that didn't want to go into the warm up room as they felt intimidated as I saw it, which is a shame.

• Like 1

We've had some discussion about this in the past after we heard that the RBS had told students (or was it parents?) that they definitely shouldn't be stretching before an audition because they'd do what was necessary in the warm-up section before the panel start assessing them.  Wish they'd "police" the warm-up area a bit more maybe to discourage too much.

• Like 7

Well Amandalou, shame on the mother who made a comment about your dd!!! I don't know what is wrong with these people. but they are shocking examples of good behaviour to their children. We are relatively knew to this process as my ds has only been doing ballet for less that 2.5 years and a RBS JA for the last two but some parents amaze me. RBS etc know what they are looking for and no amount of back-biting/ bitterness amongst parents is going to make any difference. There is a girl who dances with my ds. She was chosen for Nutcracker and is obviously talented but her parents are unbelievable!!! After looking around White Lodge and having the privilege to watch year 11 girls practicing he actually said that he didn't think the dancing was up to standard. We are all at the mercy of these vocational schools and if some people could be a little more gracious it would be so much nicer. Always be nice to people when you are on the way up. You may meet them again one day when you are on your way back down.

• Like 11

We have a talented dancer with parents just like this at DD's studio. Neither of them ever danced and they know nothing about dance except what little they have gleaned via their daughter's lessons, but you could be convinced by their remarks that they have run world-class ballet companies and schools and are currently just slumming it with the ordinary children at the (non-vocational) studio.

Unfortunately 'ballet parents' are very much alive and seem to be ubiquitous - although I have also experienced sport parents and music parents, just different sub-species I think.... ;-)

• Like 4

At my son's White Lodge audition it was my poor dh who was intimidated by the over zealous warming up and power crazy parents. He texted me to say our ds ( with such little experience) had no chance against the super flexible band of boys who were apparently doing pirouettes as if they'd come out of the womb doing them. This really worried me as dh said my ds was too embarrassed to warm up with them.

Picturesinthefirelight - are you confirming then that there is actually no need to warm up before an audition?

• Like 1

I think you have to do what you have to do. I don't think you will ever stop those type of parents who over push their children.

Tring handled it very well on Monday as they didn't give children time to strut there stuff as you were not allowed to arrive before a certain time and then got whisked off very quickly for a talk.  However I felt so nervous for my DD on Tuesday at Elmhurst I wanted to stretch myself!!

• Like 3

Rest assured that no warm up is necessary other than to show off of , calm nerves or psych oneself up as the teachers leading the audition make sure the children are very well warmed up before any stretching or splits etc are done - they have to be seen to be taking every precaution !

I think they should put up posters in the waiting areas warning if the dangers of extreme cold stretches and that there will be a warm up as part of the class !

• Like 4

I wasnt at the auditions yesterday but from my experience some will warm up quietly and in their own space, others will make a very grand exhibition of their warming up process - often encouraged by over-enthusiastic parents - becomes a battle of the minds, good luck to everyone awaiting their results.

Yes I agree. I would just like to make it clear that I am not one of 'those' mums :) . I heard about a few of the girls in tears at the later auditions that day so am aware it was very competitive then which is really sad because it will put off a lot of kids attending these auditions again.

Yes I agree. I would just like to make it clear that I am not one of 'those' mums :) . I heard about a few of the girls in tears at the later auditions that day so am aware it was very competitive then which is really sad because it will put off a lot of kids attending these auditions again.

Yes that's true, I saw people in tears yesterday too....bless their little hearts I felt very sorry for some of them.

DS auditioned once or twice for a certain musical. Initial auditions were a maelstrom (great word - think that's my word of the day) of spinning, jumping, splitting boys. VERY intimidating.

Vocational school were calm in comparison. But what got me more with regards to ballet was the general dismissal of the Dads taking their children. I reckon it is even more intimidating for us. Luckily, I decided very early on just to talk to pretty much any and everyone, and am thankful for their welcome and advice. The ones that didn't really engage back were usually the jumping spinning splitting parents.

• Like 4