Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Years 8, 9, 10 places can be very limited, it will depend on leavers, bed spaces, MDS availability and whether they want you. Elmhurst had extra auditions last summer as they hadn't filled all their places despite high numbers auditioning. I know there is at least a couple of free beds in one of the boarding houses. To be honest it's best not to try and rationalise it, it'll melt your brain, the odds are against getting in later up the school but for some it does happen, it's like a lot of things, right place, right time and it'll come together. From experience keeping at it can also help, they do notice and track some of the candidates they don't initially place.

Edited by DancingWellies
Typo
  • Like 4

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Hardworkingballetdad said:

Thankyou for your help, I’m just trying to work out when you audition for year 8,9 or 10 could there be no or 1 place available 

I thought I’d replied earlier but it’s gone missing....

It is impossible to calculate the odds but all I can say from my observations is that if they want someone enough in whatever year and there is funding available then they will find space!

• Like 3

Depends on the year plus what they have in the year above put they can take up to 15 of each. However this isn’t always the case as I think the Y10 are (or were) 15 girls & 5 boys. My DD’s year started as 15 girls but now down to 11 for a variety or reasons and the boys’ numbers have also fluctuated up & down. 

• Like 1

I think everyone offered a place is considered for funding.

Y7 and 8 entrants go to the finals and then may be offered none/MDS/bursary

Y9 and Y10 are reviewed on video and put into the same categories as above.

When my dd entered the school I know of MDS and bursaries in Y10 and bursaries in Y9. 

• 4 months later...

Hi.  Just wondering when the lower school auditions, for Elmhurst, are usually held and when they normally release the dates?  DC is auditioning, in the coming year, and I want to be organised.  Also, wondering when application deadlines usually are for WL and Elmhurst and whether everyone gets an audition?

Elmhurst auditions usually start in early November & I would expect dates/forms etc to go up in early Sept once term starts again. Most if not all who apply get an audition at both Elmhurst & WL. Think WL closing date is usually late October with auditions starting in early Jan. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I'm new, so apologies if there is already a thread.

My son is applying for Yr 7 entry to RBS, Elmhurst and Tring. We are quite realistic that he probably won't be successful this year as his physique is quite petite but good on him for wanting to have a go. We are filling in the question section for Elmhurst 'for what sparked your interest in applying to EBS. How much have other people put? Did you let your child complete or did you adjust it a bit (to make it read better)? My son is just 10, so I didn't know whether to make it more colourful.

Thanks

Moofa

9 minutes ago, Moofa said:

Hello

I'm new, so apologies if there is already a thread.

My son is applying for Yr 7 entry to RBS, Elmhurst and Tring. We are quite realistic that he probably won't be successful this year as his physique is quite petite but good on him for wanting to have a go. We are filling in the question section for Elmhurst 'for what sparked your interest in applying to EBS. How much have other people put? Did you let your child complete or did you adjust it a bit (to make it read better)? My son is just 10, so I didn't know whether to make it more colourful.

Thanks

Moofa

Hi Moofa,

My DD wrote two or three sentences after we had a chat about the sort of things to include. I didn't write it on my own as I thought it should come from a child's perspective with suitable language. She put down things like...hearing about the school through dancing friends at Associates classes and competitions as well as loving to dance. Not overly sophisticated.

This is her first week at Elmhurst and she's loving it! It's so hard to be without her at home though!!

Good luck to your son. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lspendl828 said:

Hi Moofa,

My DD wrote two or three sentences after we had a chat about the sort of things to include. I didn't write it on my own as I thought it should come from a child's perspective with suitable language. She put down things like...hearing about the school through dancing friends at Associates classes and competitions as well as loving to dance. Not overly sophisticated.

This is her first week at Elmhurst and she's loving it! It's so hard to be without her at home though!!

Good luck to your son. 

Hi Ispendl828

Thank you!!

Congratulations to your daughter that is fantastic news! Big hugs to you.

DS has been to an Open Day and is attending the Experience Day in a few weeks so I wanted it to come from him how he felt after the experience, so thanks for clarifying.

I have typed up the application but I'll let him handwrite his part so Elmhurst know it comes from him.

He is very small for his age and as I say his physique and frame hasn't developed, he can't do grand jetes yet as he hasn't the power (some other boys of his age are able to do them as they are bigger and stronger) but at least he can experience the whole process.

Moofa x

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lspendl828 said:

Most, if not all, of the boys in DD's year are similar in size to the girls. Don't think there are any big and powerful frames amongst them so don't be discouraged by his size. Like you see on here all the time, you just don't know what they're looking for! 😀

💕

• Like 1

On 10/09/2018 at 18:16, ButterflyBallerina said:

Do White Lodge do an open day ? would love to go and have a look around x

Yes, there is an open day at WL, usually in mid June that is open to the public. You can do a tour of the school and watch the children dancing too. I appreciate it’s a bit late if you were thinking of auditioning this year, though. 

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know how long it takes RBS to review video auditions? Do they wait for all the in-person preliminary auditions to run and then fill only from the video pool if they have space left over?

I should probably have asked this months ago, but our deadline was January 8th, so my kid is beginning to get ants in her pants.

The email confirmation that we received after submiting our video stated

“If you have submitted a video audition, these will be viewed together when the video selection panel convene and results will be emailed in January.”

so the results should be coming this week? 

Edited by Knh
  • Like 1

How did I forget this information may have appeared on the confirmation email?! I have been scouring the portal today trying to figure out what had made me think 'three weeks-ish' and that must be it!

/smacks forehead

Thank you (and good luck to your kid/s!)

We heard back today (from our RBS video audition). It was a “no” for my DD, but it is fine as she is the type that is motived to train harder with each rejection (though we are fairly new to this) 🙂 

I just wanted to post that the letter included stats that some members seem to be interested in from time to time— 200 video applicants and 1200 in-person applicants. So very competitive indeed!

Good luck to your DCs with prelim auditions this weekend and finals in a few weeks! 

It was not explicit in the letter but I believe it is for WL and CG combined.

(We applied for WL but the letter came from the Admissions Office of RBS and there was no mentioning of WL in any part of the letter. )

Hi

DS reached finals for Elmhurst Yr 7 last year, he auditioned again this year for Yr 8 but didn't reach finals. 

He attended the Hammond boys' day last week and we received an email inviting him to audition as the vocational staff confirmed he showed real potential for full time vocational training. 

Obviously the wording of the email has really cheered DS up but I'm sure they probably send such emails out to a lot of the boys. He was also unsuccessful for a YBSS scholarship this year so has had his fair share of knocks. We know it's a tough industry and I am in awe of his resilience and passion, but it's such a young age to deal with this. 

Fingers crossed this time is his time.

How do you help your dcs cope with rejection? 

• Like 2