Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

51 minutes ago, lspendl828 said:

Since DD got a no for WL finals, does it automatically follow that there's no hope of a Mids place? Am I being mindlessly optimistic keeping my fingers crossed?-_- 

Not at all!  I personally know 3 people who didn't get finals but got offered an MA place, with 1 of them being on the waiting list first.  Continue to be optimistic, it definitely does happen. :) 

• Like 3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Danceintherain said:

Not at all!  I personally know 3 people who didn't get finals but got offered an MA place, with 1 of them being on the waiting list first.  Continue to be optimistic, it definitely does happen. :) 

Fingers crossed for us this year then! No finals again for year 8, DD would love to get Mids. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Danceintherain said:

Thought I was just being deluded! That's so good to hear there's still hope. x

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dancer123 said:

If you get finals for Year 7 I am assuming you don’t automatically get Mids but do you have a good chance? Still can’t believe we are going to finals as never got a JA place. Feeling a bit scared!

My DD had Y7 WL finals, wasn't offered a WL place, but was then offered MAs.  You'd think it would get them a better chance, but I wouldn't like to say for sure, you can send yourself mad trying to analyse it all!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dancer123 said:

If you get finals for Year 7 I am assuming you don’t automatically get Mids but do you have a good chance? Still can’t believe we are going to finals as never got a JA place. Feeling a bit scared!

I must admit, that I thought the Mids places were more likely to go to the DCs that got Finals but I'm happy DD's still in with a chance. :)

Well done to your DC.

• Like 1

My DD was one of those who didn’t get WL finals in Y7 and waiting list for MAs. She got an MA place offered in the June and then WL Y8 finals the following year. So don’t give up just yet, lots happens once all the finals take place, subsequent offers & acceptances. Good luck to all. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Petalviolet said:

Hope everyone had a good time at YDA finals today! Good luck!

Can anyone tell me - at the Tring preliminary audition for Y7 Dance are the candidates interviewed? Or is that only at the later funding audition? 

Yes my DD was interviewed. There were not preliminary auditions like the other schools.  It was one audition and then you were told if you had a place or not/and/or if you were invited to audtion for an MDS funded place.

We were are YDA today and were quite impressed.

good luck to all!

• Like 1

Thank you for replying - I’m a teensy bit worried about Tring interviewing mini pv as just this week I overheard her discussing Ballet future, fees and scholarship details with her piano teacher and how daddy wants “Joon to go into the light” (great grandma June is languishing is some comfort in a care home up North and may well outlive us all). There was a lot of warning coughing from me waiting outside. 

• Like 11

I know (from here!) that dance teachers can get audition feedback from RBS but just wondered how they go about it. I want to ask DDs teacher to request feedback before the Elmhurst final but feel it's only right to give her all the information she needs to make it as hassle-free as possible. I'm wondering.........

• who to ask for
  • telephone call (general number on RBS website?) or email (general queries on RBS website?)?  Is there a better way to do it?
  • does she need to book an appointment to receive feedback at some later date? Call up out of the blue?

A few pointers from anyone that's already done it would be appreciated. Thanks v much.

I'm notoriously bad for over-thinking things!!<_<

7 minutes ago, lspendl828 said:

I know (from here!) that dance teachers can get audition feedback from RBS but just wondered how they go about it. I want to ask DDs teacher to request feedback before the Elmhurst final but feel it's only right to give her all the information she needs to make it as hassle-free as possible. I'm wondering.........

• who to ask for
  • telephone call (general number on RBS website?) or email (general queries on RBS website?)?  Is there a better way to do it?
  • does she need to book an appointment to receive feedback at some later date? Call up out of the blue?

A few pointers from anyone that's already done it would be appreciated. Thanks v much.

I'm notoriously bad for over-thinking things!!<_<

Was your daughter at WL finals at the weekend? Did they not give her some verbal feedback?

I have telephoned to ask for feedback about unsuccessful Associate candidates a few times over the years and have always been given helpful advice on why that particular candidate was not taken.  Although I also had successful candidates, I don't think this influenced anything and they would be gracious with any teacher making enquiries.  Just ring the main school switchboard in Covent Garden and say why you are ringing.  In recent years it has been Sylvia Hubbard who has called back.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Petalviolet said:

Thank you for replying - I’m a teensy bit worried about Tring interviewing mini pv as just this week I overheard her discussing Ballet future, fees and scholarship details with her piano teacher and how daddy wants “Joon to go into the light” (great grandma June is languishing is some comfort in a care home up North and may well outlive us all). There was a lot of warning coughing from me waiting outside. 

Out of the mouth of babes... 

I know my DD normally goes very quiet and shy in interview situations... so not sure how things will go and you never know what they will say :)

On 14/02/2018 at 12:25, lspendl828 said:

I must admit, that I thought the Mids places were more likely to go to the DCs that got Finals but I'm happy DD's still in with a chance. :)

Well done to your DC.

You can end up tying yourself in knots trying to work out who and why individuals get finals/mids places over others. Dd was JA for 2 yrs didnt get RBS final for yr 7 but got mids place from waiting list. Never made RBS final for yr8 but got a place at another vocational school - same story for 2 of her friends also. 

So, never give up. Things change very quickly. Once places have been offered in March/April and places are acceptanced/declined  - remember some dc will be offered several places - then all the movement starts happening on the waiting lists. Places are sometimes offered from Easter Intensives and Summer Schools.

Good luck everyone, xx

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Anyone auditioning on 13th March for Hammond?? 

We stand two chances, Little and none but thought we’d say hi anyway! 😆 DS is so excited to do his “one on my own!” 👍👍👍 xx

I'm there with my dd. She auditioned last year and absolutely loved the school. We're not very hopeful as place are so hard to get but she's excited for a day at the school.

• Like 1

Yeah, DS is just treating it as a day off school and a nice lunch! He’s not convinced on the singing but he’s happy to sing in a group or with instruction. Funny enough when he did the boys day, he said his fave thing was the musical theatre. Kids eh? 

Can I ask if you used an app to chop the music?? Thanks, MM xx

22 minutes ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Yeah, DS is just treating it as a day off school and a nice lunch! He’s not convinced on the singing but he’s happy to sing in a group or with instruction. Funny enough when he did the boys day, he said his fave thing was the musical theatre. Kids eh? 

Can I ask if you used an app to chop the music?? Thanks, MM xx

I used audiotrimmer.com

Good luck on the 13th x