Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We auditioned in Bath, there were 4 audition groups, 104 children in total! 

1st group had all year 6s applying for Ma/White lodge with 1 boy. 

2nd group was a mixture of year 6 and year 7’s applying for Ma/ White lodge.

I then left so didn’t seen the 3rd or 4th group.

Just curious on Ja uniform, we were told not to wear ours but many were in full uniform x

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Welshy said:

We auditioned in Bath, there were 4 audition groups, 104 children in total! 

1st group had all year 6s applying for Ma/White lodge with 1 boy. 

2nd group was a mixture of year 6 and year 7’s applying for Ma/ White lodge.

I then left so didn’t seen the 3rd or 4th group.

Just curious on Ja uniform, we were told not to wear ours but many were in full uniform x

Hi Welshy yes we were in the second group, yes we were told they could wear their JA leotards or if the girls didn't  feel comfortable in them they could wear something that prehaps flatters them a bit more as long as they feel beautiful she said that's fine 😊 We don't have many leotards so my dd was happy to wear hers..

1 hour ago, AuntieNora said:

Hi All What do you wear for individual solos for Tring? 

My dd just wore the same as she had been wearing for the rest of the audition. She said that everyone else in her audition done the same 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, junedancer said:

DD just put on a plain matching skirt over the leotard, just to make it a bit different and it fitted the music and choreography, for one of her audition solos.  The trouble I had getting the matching skirt - but she was really happy so that helped!

Thank you, just what I was thinking! 

Hi everyone

This is my first post on BalletcoForum but I have been a silent observer (ie over my wife’s shoulder) for some time as DD navigates the world of ballet.

DD is in year 11 and at ballet vocational school, wanting to pursue a classical ballet career. Little did I think when we ventured into this world of ballet what the future would hold. I want to do everything I can for DD to develop a talent she has and enable her to fulfil her dreams. I think it’s fantastic to know exactly what you want to do as a career and be completely focused on it.

However, it does come at a price not for just for parents but the rest of the family but that it what I supposed we have signed up for.

Having successfully negotiated the world of lower schools (rejections, offers, injuries and recoveries) I find myself staring into the abyss that is ‘Upper Schools’. I naively thought this would be straight forward – oh how wrong was I!

I wanted to share my experience so that it may help others as their DD’s and DS’s pursue their dreams. However, before I start, can I just say this is my opinion only (my lovely wife and DD don’t know I am doing this) and it relates to classical ballet only as that is all I have experience of.  

My advice to anyone looking at Upper Schools is as follows:

• Start looking early. When I say early I mean when they are coming to the end of year 9. I say this because its all about trying to get yourself seen well in advance of ‘audition year’ so schools are familiar with your DD’s/DS’s name and their abilities.
  • Every DD/DS has weakness’. Know what they are and work on them. Trying to get schools/teachers to have open, honest and frank conversations is very hard but do push for it. That way you know exactly what DD/DS has got to do. Of course, there are things like turn out that you can do little about, however compensating work can be done to help.
  • If possible, do not limit yourselves to the UK for summer schools/Upper schools. This does depend on how independent DD/DS is but there is a whole world out there with schools as good as the UK. It will broaden your DD’s/DS’s repertoire not to mention the life experience it brings.
  • One of the reasons my first comment say’s start looking towards the end of year 9 (at the latest) is really important, is if you’re thinking of international schools. 
    • American Schools – there are some great schools in America which should be considered but to do that you should be trying to get on their summer intensives in Year 9 and Year 10 (if not earlier). This way the schools see you and are likely to have a place lined up for you (if good enough) for their 'Upper School' equivalent. Scholarships are also available. If you leave it until ‘normal’ UK auditioning time, it’s likely to be too late (not impossible) but you won’t have any experience of the school you are applying for, which makes it nerve racking and the position my DD finds herself in. The downside to American summer intensives is that they start before the UK summer holiday begins so you will either need to take them out of school early and join the intensive late. In my opinion, if they want to pursue a career in ballet, then take the risk and take them out of school early in the summer (I can’t believe I’m actually saying that as it goes against everything my natural instinct is telling me but for a DD so focused on classical ballet, it would have been the right thing to do if only someone had told me).
    • European Schools – Like America there are some great schools in Europe which should be considered. Ballet classes in the more well known schools (apart from the odd exception) are taught in English so that’s not a problem. Summer schools in European (timing wise) are more like the UK so that’s not an issue. If affordable, it is good to give them exposure to other styles/methods of teaching and meeting other similarly mind ballerinas from around the world. This is the important bit - If you believe DD/DS can turn ballet into a career and they are good enough, then consider taking them to one of the top European schools early and do GCSE’s through online schooling. That way they are well placed to join the Upper Schools when the time comes. As with the American schools, I didn’t knew about this at the time but subsequently noticed what other people who are ‘in the know’ had done successfully.
    • UK Schools – Yes there are some great UK schools and if your DD can get into one they want then that’s fantastic. However, if they don’t and they want options then these are limited outside of remaining UK schools if you have not already considered what I said above re American and European schools.
  • Private Lessons – wow, now that takes expense to a whole new level. DD has had privates with some great teachers who have really helped her over and above the school she attends. Being in the middle of UK audition season right now I think it has been worth it as there were areas DD needed to improve on. Are they absolutely necessary – no they are not, as I have seen quite a few DD’s get great schools without the need for privates.
  • Body Shapes – as I am even typing this I nervous about saying the wrong thing but here are my views for what they are worth. European and Far Eastern DD’s tend to be thin, flexible with great on-stage presence from years of competitions and show performances.  That is what the world stage looks like and what a lot of International Upper Schools are looking for. There I’ve said it. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, that’s just the way it is (or at least what I have seen). There is a school for everyone, it’s a matter of trying the find the right one for them
  • Audition by DVD – DD’s/DS’s will never look as good on DVD as they do in person. Whoever is reviewing the DVD has the time to replay over and over again so all DD’s/DS’s blemishes are visible. Don’t take the making of these lightly. Whilst they are only there to get DD/DS in the door to be seen face to face, they have to be done properly. As painful as it might be, keep doing it over and over again until its right. Also, don’t do the audition DVD to early, try and get the timing right when DD/DS looks in good shape (physically and mentally) as it will come across on the DVD.

I am sorry this has been such a long opening post on the forum but it has been playing on my mind for some time to air what my experience has been so hopefully it can help others.

• Like 18

NaiveDad, you couldn’t have said this better.  Thank you so much for posting this fabulous summing up and advice for parents who have the time before them to make the right choices.

We are in the same boat as you timing wise, but I wish I’d known way more, far sooner about the International programmes out there and how from Year 11 your child will be competing for classical Upper School places on a World stage, alongside the highly trained European and Asian children who as you say are slim, flexible and dynamic on stage as well as in class.

I would like to add that as lovely as Associate schemes can be when they are younger, they are not necessarily the road to future success.  There are many children who go all the way through Associate Schemes and get no Upper School places.  I’m glad we spent our time and money elsewhere.

Your Saturdays could be better spent not spending hours in the car or on trains getting to London for a class, but having a few hours with a very good private teacher who will work specifically on your child’s weaknesses, leaving them time to go out shopping with friends, spend time with their family or just watch TV!

It’s an incredibly tough profession to break in to and I would advise any parent of a younger child to do tons of research on what’s going on worldwide and how children the same age are being trained, because many British ballet companies are full of primarily International dancers and if the aim at the end of the journey is to get hired, your child will need to be in a position to compete with them...

• Like 7

Welcome from me too, Naivedad, and thank you for your very comprehensive post.  As Jan said in the Upper School thread, we don't normally allow duplicate posts in multiple threads but it's no bad thing to be thinking ahead to Upper School and beyond. 

At the same time, there is sometimes a danger that the eventual destination becomes the be all and end all, and that can mean that we do forget to enjoy the journey.  This is vital, because if the student isn't getting joy from dancing, what's it all for?  Obviously every dancer has bad days, off-days, and injuries, but on the whole they really should come out of class feeling happy.  

Focussing on the "end game" all the time can also mean that we sometimes forget to give our dancing children the opportunity to change their path; be it from classical ballet to a different genre, or even to stop aiming for a dancing career and change path entirely.  

Secondly, in my humble opinion, ballet training and *good* associate training is rarely, if ever, a waste of time or money.   Regardless of where our children end up, the friendships, the fun, the sense of accomplishment, coming into contact with wonderful teachers, getting group corrections - are all such good experiences and something you don't always get from private coaching.   If you can afford both then you are giving your child the best of both worlds.   I wouldn't rule out one or the other as "better" or more likely to lead to Vocational school though.   Certainly there are some lovely associate dancers who don't end up at Upper School but there could be many different reasons for this.  

My advice has long been "Take it a year (or even a term) at a time".

In other words, do your research and ask lots of questions BUT try to enjoy every step of the journey along the way; don't just think about the destination.  :)

• Like 11

It is important to enjoy every step of the journey, I totally agree with that sentiment and for many students they are very happy to enjoy the journey and then divert to a totally different path in life.  It should be a happy one, but more often than not it impacts on the rest of the family and therefor should not be taken lightly.  What is important though is to be realistic about what those schemes are there for, what they offer, who is benefitting from them and whether they are giving realistic feedback to the parents about the students.  It's very easy to be naive about classical ballet training, we've all been there whilst on our journeys and I think NaiveDad makes some incredibly valid points that should be like gold dust for the parents just embarking in a journey which may lead to a decision which involves their child leaving home to train at vocational school.   

• Like 1

Absolutely, atacrossroads.  In the fickle, often rather crazy ballet world, other people's experiences are so valuable.  I'm always impressed at what a helpful and supportive place this forum is.  Planning and research is vital - but especially at audition time, where we get (understandably) stressed about results, it can be good to take a breath at times and try to take it all a day (or a class, or an exam) at a time. :)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Scottishballetmum said:

Well done. No funding for us but an offer of a place if we can afford to pay for it. Is this the standard let you down gently letter or are these places limited too?

Just wondering.

No, not everybody is offered a place, with or without funding.  Condolences on the lack of funding but congratulations on the offer. :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Scottishballetmum said:

Well done. No funding for us but an offer of a place if we can afford to pay for it. Is this the standard let you down gently letter or are these places limited too?

Just wondering.

Hi Scottishballetmum congratulations to you dd, may I ask were you also offered a bed and what year has she been offered?

my dd has also been offered a day place for year 8 without funding but we are on a waiting list for a bed.  We do not live close enough for a day place so still not sure if she will be able to accept?!?! So frustrating 😩🤔🤗

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ballet'n'broke said:

Hi Scottishballetmum congratulations to you dd, may I ask were you also offered a bed and what year has she been offered?

my dd has also been offered a day place for year 8 without funding but we are on a waiting list for a bed.  We do not live close enough for a day place so still not sure if she will be able to accept?!?! So frustrating 😩🤔🤗

I don't suppose they know how many beds are available until the funding auditions are complete. But same deal, no bed being offered in the first instance. 

MDS go to any year group auditioning in lower school (could be given to 6th form but not often - although junior school pupils on MDS can carry it on into 6th form).  Doesn’t seem to be any specific number for any one year - they give them to the students they want most. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In order to keep this thread at a manageable size, and relevant to Lower School auditions in general, I have moved all the recent posts giving results of 2018 auditions here:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/17041-good-luckaudition-results-2018/

Please keep this thread for general Lower School audition questions and post "Good Luck" posts and results from this year's auditions in the new thread.

Many thanks for your co-operation,

Anna C

on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

• Like 4