Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NicolaP17 said:

That is fantastic news TooTu I bet she is thrilled how lovely, celebrations tonight 😄 Good luck for finals.

Thank you NicolaP17. She was absolutely thrilled & is looking forward to the finals. Still have RBS audition coming up so it's a confidence boost before that too

• Like 1

It was a no for my DD for year 9. The worst thing about the rejection is not having any idea about why? This is the place she wants to be, she has done summer school, audition workshops and loves it more and more. Not sure it’s worth trying next year for year 10 or whether we should just continue associate classses and apply at age 16

Edited by hgib23
  • Like 2

My DD auditioned at elmhurst in November and got a no for finals, having seen the last ten minutes of the class I could understand why - the panel was spoilt for choice! The standard was incredibly high with some beautiful dancers. DD was fine as she realised they could only take a few, and if she wasn’t chosen it wasn’t that she wasn’t any good, just others on the day had more of the ‘something’ the panel was looking for. Well done to all through to the next round and hugs to the ‘not nows’ x

• Like 4

It's so difficult not knowing why? It would be nice to get some feed back, my dd isn't overly flexible but when I went into watch the last 10mins I thought she danced beautifully. I am not saying she didn't make finals because she wasn't flexible enough she obviously needs to work on that this year but it would be nice to get some kind of feed back on lines of improvement needed. 

Sometimes there are simply not enough places for all the talented dancers. It's as simple as that.  That doesn't change much in the later stages of training, partly because there are not enough ballet contracts for all the graduates.  

Often, a "no" at this stage is just a "not yet". It's not necessarily a "never".  So very well done indeed to those with a "yes" or Finals.  To those with a "no", you might find that your DC bounces back more quickly than you. :) 

My advice would be to take it all a term at a time, assume for the time being that a "no" is just a "not at this time", and above all, try to enjoy the journey with your child.  It's so easy to only concentrate on the destination, whether that's a place at a school or a paid contract, but the truth is that without a crystal ball, there's no knowing what might happen in the future.  Each class, performance or audition that a dancer enjoys and learns from is, and should be, a joy in itself.  

• Like 15

@NicolaP17 my dd was an associate last year when she auditioned so we did get feedback. They gave brilliant feedback and said her musicality and dance were great. However she is hypermobile and it went against her as they found fault with her muscle tone. She worked so hard this last year to improve her strength and still got a no this time round. My dd is just content that she gave 100% this time as nerves were clearly visible. I though she looked fab at the audition but there were kids who just seemed to have a little bit more spark if that makes sense.

• Like 7

Oh really that is great to hear, gosh you see I would only wish for my daughter to be hypermobile I never knew the problems that come along side it... good for her for trying again this year, yes your right all the children looked and danced beautifully. My dd is a JA she only started ballet less than 2 years ago so I'm super proud of what she's achieved already. They get so much out of every audition. She thought her Elmhurst audition went better than her MA and "White Lodge audition " 🙈 Bless her.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2018 at 07:53, hgib23 said:

It was a no for my DD for year 9. The worst thing about the rejection is not having any idea about why? This is the place she wants to be, she has done summer school, audition workshops and loves it more and more. Not sure it’s worth trying next year for year 10 or whether we should just continue associate classses and apply at age 16

So sorry for your no ☹️

My dd auditioned for year 7, made finals and got a no. 2 months later she was spotted by a member of staff at a ballet class and offered a place. She is now in 6:1.

My Ds started ballet that year aged 12 and was spotted at the same ballet class and invited to be an associate. We did a 7 hour round trip every Saturday 😬 He auditioned twice for lower school and never made finals. He did an audition for upper school but it was again a no. He started his A levels locally and applied for the RBS advanced associate program, he was offered SAs in Covent Garden and we began another 7 hour round trip Saturday ! He was planning to audition for degree programs on completition of his A levels but thought he would give Elmhurst one last bash. He got in !  4 th attempt ! He is now in 6:2.

It’s been a rough ride but perseverance and the support and belief of a fantastic local teacher has paid off. There have been tears and traumas and there are tough times to come too.

My advise is, don’t give up something that you love because someone says no. What’s right for you will not pass you by and you must grab every opportunity as it comes along. 

Good luck to your Dd xx

• Like 25

4 hours ago, Sarah2203 said:

@NicolaP17 my dd has never wanted to try RB. She has friends who go and they find it very strict. My dd is a total livewire and probably not what they are looking for. My eldest dd probably would have thrived with them though as she is the complete opposite to my youngest.

this is a thing , you look at  different schools and their  histories and  linkages  ( including some  not  so  obvious ones  unless you  do your research -   like the links between Herbal Hill and Quarry Hill )

5 hours ago, Sarah2203 said:

@NicolaP17 my dd has never wanted to try RB. She has friends who go and they find it very strict. My dd is a total livewire and probably not what they are looking for. My eldest dd probably would have thrived with them though as she is the complete opposite to my youngest.

I totally agree with you Sarah2203,

My DD was invited to audition at ENBS after a successful SS and audition workshop, it was hard but we decided not to go ahead. We walked away from a school, she couldn't put her finger on anything in particular at the school, just a vibe. It wasn't for her even though it works for so many.  

It is hard but I am proud that my DD was confident enough to say no thank you. Just like not all pupils suit all academic schools.  

It's not that there is anything wrong with one compared to another (far from it) but it is very important to take that one step back (en pointe, obviously) to look at the bigger picture.  

• Like 11

@balletmummy the JA scheme in Sunderland hasn't extended. Is was discussed last year but they said not financially viable ☹ my dd and about 10 of her friends did the full three years and we'e told they could stay on for year 7. Suddenly in July we all got emails to say no yr 7 could continue and no extended scheme would be available. 

• Like 1

DD has her RBS audition next Wednesday.  She's in her last year of MAs so will be hoping for an SA place, should a full time vocational place not come her way.  In case you weren't aware, you won't find out about MAs until Easter time, the first results will be for WL finals.

My heart just melted when I was in my DDs bedroom and saw her lightbox has been changed to an Elmhurst finals countdown, and her dressing table had Elmhurst finals notes - what to remember, how to conduct herself, etc.  So lovely to see how much she wants it (but also makes my heart ache because she's still a long way to go yet).

I love reading everyone's updates, and keeping my fingers crossed for all those waiting on results.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, NicolaP17 said:

Good luck to your daughter Danceintherain she sounds very focused  I really hope she gets the result she deserves...

I have a long wait then... will we find out by email or letter do you know?

Thank you NicolaP17.  RBS give results by email, so no waiting around for the postman, just the constant refresh of your inbox - I'm not sure which is worse, haha!  I hope you hear soon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NicolaP17 said:

Is anyone else feeling a little anxious about the RB results? We are not expecting to make it to finals but an MA place would be a dream, but after reading over some old chats MA's places seem like gold dust.

My DD is in the same position. She was never a JA so we have very low expectations! It was a great experience for her though and has been a real confidence boost, whatever the result. 

• Like 1

My Ds y10 is waiting anxiously for RBS results, and Summer School at WL. Ds has a final for Elmhurst and ticking of the days on the calender and imaging what it would be like to be offered a place bless him. This is his 3 year of auditioning and his first final. Two more auditions to go Tring and Hammond where he was offered a place. Unfortunately didn't get a MDS. Good luck to all you dancers out there waiting for your results.

Edited by Wollysocks
Hadn't finished
  • Like 4