5 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Bless you all.  I found out that my posts were being stalked by my daughter & her friends so that contributed to my continued silence!

You are missed Pictures. 

My posts are also stalked but I do have a reserve ID for emergencies!! I mostly ask or say things that I would to DD anyway...

1 hour ago, theother51 said:

Not to mention spending the entire weekend unpacking, washing, ironing & repacking!

Managed to fit in taking dd to visit previous dance school, taking ds to sports practice, cinema trip, taking ds to his show rehearsal, shopping & tonight a family birthday meal so far!

I've found that getting them to travel by train helps as they don't have to bring their washing home and they can't carry too much else.

Of course this depends on age and suitability of railway routes....

Pictures, you really have been missed! Perhaps you could set up an alternative ID for posts which your DD may not appreciate, as Sarah suggests? 

2 hours ago, Harwel said:

If I remember correctly from a discussion on this forum, that there was a child offered a 100% scholarship last year because she posted the letter on her Facebook page.  I seem to remember a few parents of hammonds studenrs being surprised that the child had posted it as they are requested to keep the information private.  

At an event last year (it might have been Prize Day or the end of year show I can't quite remember) the Principal gave a speech about the launch of the Centenary Fund & how the school knows that there are not enough MDS awards & school bursaries to go around  & how a bursary was not enough for some families generous though they are. Also funding for talented music/drama students. 

She announced that a Bursary fund was being set up & that there would be a Prep School Scholarship set up for a student entering In Year 6 & below. 

It it is therefore feasible that should an exceptionally talented student appear, that such a scholarship might be offered if it was felt appropriate. I don't actually know & parents are supposed to not make specifics known.  

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
Auto correct

2 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Pictures, you really have been missed! Perhaps you could set up an alternative ID for posts which your DD may not appreciate, as Sarah suggests? 

I'd end up getting confused!  I did try that a few years ago when I asked a fairly personal dd related question & I kept logging in as the wrong person!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sarahw said:

I've found that getting them to travel by train helps as they don't have to bring their washing home and they can't carry too much else.

Of course this depends on age and suitability of railway routes....

Yes, that was supposed to happen but she got offered a lift!

5 hours ago, theother51 said:

I have seen a local dance school in the past refer to one of their students having been offered a "full scholarship". As I knew the mother of the child in question I knew that they were in fact on an MDS. 

For certain incomes the Mds could be viewed as 100% scholarship so perhaps this is what they meant?

Boarding dance fees for Hammond next academic year are roughly £27,000. So 50% bursary is worth £13,500.

I may be able to dig up the sliding scale I was sent last year - will look on computer.

Hmm -have found it but don't understand it. Possibly around £100,000? But don't quote me!!!

Yes Sarahw  ..... I was thinking around that figure too, the number of other dependant children you have can make a slight difference too. It of course depends if you are given a 50% bursary as well.

All need to be aware that anything finance wise will be reviewed annually & is subject to income etc for all bursaries & MDS at (all) schools. So, the amount you need to pay after MDS may go up or down & the % value of a bursary can similarly go up or down dependant on circumstances. This can cause quite an issue if not expecting it!!

• Like 1

Those with a DC taking up a boarding place at WL would have to be earning around £20k a year before they would receive 100% funding (not taking account of any dependent children or adults) and those earning £100k would get about 50% funding.  Even an MDS place can be totally unaffordable.

13 hours ago, theother51 said:

I have seen a local dance school in the past refer to one of their students having been offered a "full scholarship". As I knew the mother of the child in question I knew that they were in fact on an MDS. 

One of our local schools have just done the same thing in the last few weeks and we know that the DC was offered an MDS.

Edited by Newdancermum
  • Like 1

Full scholarships do happen. We know of a child who got one a couple of years ago, and was genuinely 100% 

Edited by Pointetoes
  • Like 2

Hi, I am new to all this, so I am sorry if I am going over things already covered.  My daughter has auditioned for the Hammond for Year 7 entry 2017.  She has not been lucky enough to gain an MDS, but is on the waiting list.  Is there anywhere else that I would be able to gain some sort of funding to enable her dreams to come true or is it a case of try again next year?

Hello DanceTaxi and welcome to the Forum!

I am sure that some of our members will be able to chip in with advice.

There was a previous thread with links to funding bodies. It had quite a few obscure funds that contribute to all sorts of projects. Sorry I can't remember where it is but am sure if you scroll through funding something will match. 

On 18/05/2017 at 13:16, DanceTaxi said:

Hi, I am new to all this, so I am sorry if I am going over things already covered.  My daughter has auditioned for the Hammond for Year 7 entry 2017.  She has not been lucky enough to gain an MDS, but is on the waiting list.  Is there anywhere else that I would be able to gain some sort of funding to enable her dreams to come true or is it a case of try again next year?

We are in the same position, we were offered a bursary but we are not able to raise the remaining fees to make it viable.  It does ask if you are in receipt of any other funding on the Hammond finance forms so if you manage to raise any other funds they might reduce any bursary offer.

Sorry if my questions have already been answered, I have looked through but couldnt find anything. 

These are specifically for Hammond and Elmhurs year 7. 

How far in advance is it advisable to apply for the auditions? 

Are the audition classes capped at a certain number? (So could potentially be full if you don't send off your application form early enough).

Can you choose an audition date that is more suitable for you or are you given them? (And I'd need be can it be changed to one of the other dates?) 

Thank you

For Elmhurst, everyone gets an audition and I requested which on was more convenient for us and was granted it. Apply early to get your choice. Good luck ?

• Like 1