Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/08/2017 at 18:27, ArucariaBallerina said:

Sorry to awaken this thread again, but is it worth it to audition for year 11 entry into lower schools? Is there at all a chance of a place? I was debating as to whether to audition to RBS, Elmhurst and Tring, partly just for the experience before the 'main' auditions at 16+ and also because I actually enjoy auditions! I would probably need an MDS/funding help if the impossible happened and I was offered a place, are they offered at 15/year 11? 

RBS is nice in the way that all you need to do is tick an extra box for full-time, as I will apply again for Associates and SS, but Tring and Elmhurst would take a bit more time. But it's my dream to go to ballet school! Are there any cons to auditioning at all? 

Thank you :)

Schools as a whole don't take entry's for yr 11. I speak from experience, non DD was very ill in year 10, she missed approximately half the school year. We needed to get her closer to home so started investigating. We were lucky her old school took her back for year 11, if they hadn't she would have redone year 10. The ONLY reason they said yes was because she had been in the Junior School and therefore they knew her. It was hard work as she changed exam boards , some subjects she was unable to do the rest she had to catch up on. Thankful she is natural bright and determined but I simply would not recommend this route unless absolutely necessary. Having just had DD go through yr 11, juggling academics and dance has been tough. She was physically and mentally exhausted, and is only just starting to recover having put 110% into both. 

On 14/08/2017 at 18:27, ArucariaBallerina said:

Sorry to awaken this thread again, but is it worth it to audition for year 11 entry into lower schools? Is there at all a chance of a place? I was debating as to whether to audition to RBS, Elmhurst and Tring, partly just for the experience before the 'main' auditions at 16+ and also because I actually enjoy auditions! I would probably need an MDS/funding help if the impossible happened and I was offered a place, are they offered at 15/year 11? 

RBS is nice in the way that all you need to do is tick an extra box for full-time, as I will apply again for Associates and SS, but Tring and Elmhurst would take a bit more time. But it's my dream to go to ballet school! Are there any cons to auditioning at all? 

Thank you :)

Yes, I would say that there are cons to auditioning for year 11 to be honest. As others have already said, for the same reasons that the schools hardly ever assess anyone out in year 10, they hardly ever take anyone new into year 11. You would essentially be auditioning for places that don't exist. Even if you already understand that, the additional "no" responses have the potential to affect your self confidence. But even if they don't, there are 2 very important practical considerations - time, and money.

By the time you take into consideration the audition fees, travel, accommodation, meals whilst out, possibly new leotards/shoes etc auditioning is an expensive business. I think each of my DD's auditions set me back several hundred pounds. Plus I had to take  at least one day annual leave from work and she obviously had to have the same amount of time off school.

Obviously I don't know your family situation, and those things may or may not be an issue. But if I recall rightly, you've previously said that your parents have misgivings about you taking this route so putting a lot of time and money into an audition round that is almost guaranteed to be fruitless might not be the best idea.

Likewise, you want to keep your school onside if you can. The new GCSE syllabi are a lot more demanding than previously and your teachers will probably not be terribly keen on you missing school unless it's unavoidable. If you audition for 6th forms in year 11 you will be away quite a lot. Of course school can't actually stop you going, but life will probably a lot easier for you if they are supportive. In your shoes, I wouldn't risk that goodwill by being absent in year 10 at the beginning of your GCSE courses.

Year 10 is going to be busy enough for you. Schoolwork will move up to another level - and remember that no matter how much you want a ballet career it's a very uncertain world so don't neglect your school work. Plus I think you've posted that you've been accepted into 2 associate schemes, so they will keep you on the go too.

My advice would be to focus this year on improving your dance with your local teacher and associates, and make a solid start to your GCSEs so that you are in a good position going into year 11.

Give yourself, and your parents, a break from auditions this year and focus on optimising things for next year.

• Like 5

Thank you for your responses everybody :) I suppose it is definitely easier and better to wait... Especially since the chance really is tiny and my parents  and I want me to acquire a good set of GCSEs. And considering how many auditions I will go to in year 11, it is best to save time and money and effort! 

31 minutes ago, balletmum20 said:

Do many children get into elmhurst for year 9? Will they only get a place if someone leaves?  

Is it hard to get a place? 

New children have joined and others have left the current y9 group nearly every term since they started. More are joining in September. It really is a case of apply and see. They don't have a set number of places per year group so some are much larger than others. 

Edited by Farawaydancer
Edited for clarity.

• 3 weeks later...

After having a year off the audition circuit for DD to focus on training in multiple styles, she is now more determined than ever to progress down the ballet route and we're preparing for auditions for year 10 entry. As always, there are a number of audition dates for Elmhurst (2 in Nov, 2 in Jan) and I'm torn which to go for. A friend has recommended Nov to 'get it out of the way', and her DD was previously successful with her Nov audition, but then Jan would give DD another 2 months worth of training. I know it shouldn't make any difference, but with this being DDs last chance until 6th form, I'm keen to make the right decision. What are other's experiences?

7 hours ago, Danceintherain said:

After having a year off the audition circuit for DD to focus on training in multiple styles, she is now more determined than ever to progress down the ballet route and we're preparing for auditions for year 10 entry. As always, there are a number of audition dates for Elmhurst (2 in Nov, 2 in Jan) and I'm torn which to go for. A friend has recommended Nov to 'get it out of the way', and her DD was previously successful with her Nov audition, but then Jan would give DD another 2 months worth of training. I know it shouldn't make any difference, but with this being DDs last chance until 6th form, I'm keen to make the right decision. What are other's experiences?

Would January give an extra 2 months of lessons? When dd danced locally school used to close for most of December and didn't go back until a week after academic term started in January. 

Dd auditioned in January a number of years ago having had a very relaxed Christmas as I had no idea of the pressure or importance of audition and had been told no spaces in year 8 so we both went for the experience. She got in. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jane said:

Would January give an extra 2 months of lessons? When dd danced locally school used to close for most of December and didn't go back until a week after academic term started in January. 

Dd auditioned in January a number of years ago having had a very relaxed Christmas as I had no idea of the pressure or importance of audition and had been told no spaces in year 8 so we both went for the experience. She got in. 

Wow, that's fab she got a place! DD will have 2 weeks off classes over Christmas, and I know she'll continue with her strengthening during that period. I did speak with DD earlier and she'd like to go for a Nov date so not all the auditions she plans to take are in Jan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...