Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

Thank you all for the fab feedback as always! I feel a bit odd because although dd has happily been cruising along on her path achieving and doing well in the various different dance opportunities that have been available to her, I have always viewed her separately to the children who are currently on the major dance journeys (Not that I ever doubted this is somewhere she would want to be.........eventually!) I just wasn't prepared for it right now! I really enjoy reading about all of the other dc's successes and feel for those who don't quite make where they are aiming for at first......But to think of dd as one of these children is a bit nerve wracking! In truth I don't know if she's ready yet. She's a lovely little dancer.....but at the top of those who will be auditioning.......Then no, she is probably a long way off. She would absolutely love to audition for White Lodge and Elmhurst as ballet is her first love, but I don't know whether to deter her or just let her go for the experience?! I might sound like I'm being harsh but I have assisted my own dancer teacher for nearly 20 years and although have no claims to be an expert I do have some knowledge of the ballet world and whilst I do totally believe that dd is truly gifted in some aspects, she definitely has other areas that need a lot of work too. She is also keen to audition for Tring but hasn't really said anything when I mentioned Hammond. For those with experience, is the dance course at Hammond purely dance or does involve other elements of performing arts? She would be mortified if she had to sing solo at an audition as it definitely isn't her strength! She takes classes in modern, tap, contemporary, musical theatre dance and creative dance on top of ballet lessons.
I have emailed her ballet teacher (Not the one I am assistant to!) to ask for some advice (I rarely get to see her in person as I'm always at work whenever she has to be dropped off or picked up from lessons)
Also, has anyone who has let their children audition for vocational schools noticed any difference in them if not successful? I would hate to see dd lose her love and passion for dance.....or even her dream. I have explained that no at this age doesn't mean it will be no in 2 or 3 years or even 5 when she finishes high school. (She will be applying for a year 7 place)

As an aside, at NYB this year she was significantly behind her peers grade wise but she didn't seem in the slightest bit put off by this and I did also wonder then whether she'd feel inadequate in any way but she absolutely loved the whole experience! 
As you can probably tell, I'm the pessimist/realist and she is thankfully the optimist with a head full of dreams reaching the sky! :)

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clara, I think the best way to cope with the audition rounds is to explain to your DD just how difficullt gaining a vocational place can be, but what fun you'd have together whilst trying.

We used the audition days as a treat to spend time together. Nights in hotels,using the pool where possible. Dinner together, free to chat without the usual distractions. Plenty of time to get DS ready before the audition.

We had a lovely time together, and DS never seemed stressed.

He was eventually offered a place at everywhere we auditioned, Tring , Elmhurst, and WL. He started yr7 at WL in September and I am so glad we got to spend that precious time together. I miss my little ballet boy so much.

• Like 11

Clara, I think the best way to cope with the audition rounds is to explain to your DD just how difficullt gaining a vocational place can be, but what fun you'd have together whilst trying.

We used the audition days as a treat to spend time together. Nights in hotels,using the pool where possible. Dinner together, free to chat without the usual distractions. Plenty of time to get DS ready before the audition.

We had a lovely time together, and DS never seemed stressed.

He was eventually offered a place at everywhere we auditioned, Tring , Elmhurst, and WL. He started yr7 at WL in September and I am so glad we got to spend that precious time together. I miss my little ballet boy so much.

How is he getting on Theodore,if you don`t mind me asking? Has he settled in?

It is hard not having him at home and i do miss him something awful. Still have to pinch myself that my little boy is at WL, just 2  and a half yrs after his first ever dance lesson. No one else in the family has ever danced, which makes it even stranger. No idea where the talent comes from. He went from 0 - grade 6 in 18 mths. Won a JA place after just 4 months.

Had a wonderful teacher though, who taught him one - one mostly. He also worked so hard, and grins like mad every time we drive through Richmond Park, back to his second home ( his words not mine).

• Like 4

So glad your DS is settled and happy Theodore - at the end of the day happy children who thrive is what we all want.

Clara - pictures in post 33 above tells you what a child in year 7 at Hammond will have on top of their classical ballet training.  Re singing solo at the Hammond audition - they do expect them to be nervous and it really is more about being prepared to have a go, a willingness to try.  On their website they state re the solo vocal "no previous preparation required as this is only an indicator for our own records and will not affect the overall outcome of the audition."   Different schools will suit different children - getting a place at any of the vocational schools is a huge achievement and as a poster above said - treat each audition as an enjoyable day out and a new experience.  My DD auditioned at 6th form level, not year 7, but she changed her mind about which were her favourites during the audition process as being at the school is very different to reading about it.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It's not too late! But get cracking on the forms and photos .

I agree if Ballet is the main focus do RBS and Elmhurst as the main thing and consider others as a plan b . Welcome to the roller coaster !

Yes we only put our forms in last week-end for WL and got the date for January today.  January will be a very busy month! :wacko:

• Like 3

I was going to say Young Dancers Acadamy. My ds did year 7 there (he was year 6 really) and got into year 7 at White Lodge.

My ds loves it at WL and today he said he was 'home at his other home'. He doesn't come home at weekends and I have to call him to remind him he has a mum and dad :(

I still wonder if he hadn't gone to RBS workshop 3 1/2 years ago because his sister did and was asked by RBS to audition what he would be doing today. He did a ballet class a week but only because he loved JA's and was required too. He was doing 3 nights of Street Dance though and got through to Paris finals! In the end he had to choose between Street Dance and Ballet. Ballet won by miles because of JA's and 2 performances a year for 3 years at the ROH. Loved it!

Edited by Spax
  • Like 1

He absolutely loves it. sends text just with ballet class was sooooooooo amazing. When i call in the evening it sounds like  they are having a riot.

I second that! The laughter coming from their dorm is so loud. My ds is in hysterics all the way through our conversation, or lack of conversation.

I would suspect that it would only really be practical if your DC was not edcuated in England or Wales as it would be extremely difficult with GCSEs subjects, not to mention the fact that no sooner would they start at their new school and they would be auditioing all over again for 6th form.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

To all the parents who are wondering about whether their child should audition because they are not ready to leave home .......My daughter wasn't ready to go away to Vocational School at year 7 so she carried on with her training and then succeeded in getting in MA'S and a full time place at Elmhurst in year 8. My advice would be to just to go with the flow - Your kids will tell you if the time is right and auditions don't harm anyone - very good experience for the real world!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Yes we had ours about 2 days before Xmas.  Our class is at 3.30pm so not a great time for DD as she tends to flag mid afternoon hopefully the nerves will be buzzing.  The lady said to me that if you live far away she will try and put your audition later in the afternoon as she is aware that some trains are infrequent on Sundays.