Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

1 minute ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Seems an age ago when Dd auditioned for Lower School. She sang Quiet from Matilda. 

These days she cuts her own music for her dance solo & sorts her own sheet music. 

Good luck to  both of your dc. 

That's one of the songs my dd has in her final choices so far. She loves it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, thanks guys. DS said tonight he’s hoping for another snow day again this week so he can practise his solo. Lol! 😂 I just love how they take it in their strides, I’m the one having kittens about if he’ll be ok when in reality I know he’s cheeky enough to look after himself! 😆😆

• Like 3

Hi 

After attending an Elmhurst LS audition in January just to see what it was like, DS is now preparing for the Final auditions on 14th March. We're very new to this and wondered if anyone knows roughly how many children get callbacks/attend finals? Also what is involved in the "parent/candidate discussion" and orthopaedic assessment. He's a BBO scholar and loved Elmhurst when he danced there as part of Scholar's weekend which prompted us to apply. 

Any pearls of wisdom gratefully received, thanks...

Hello PBM, well done to your DS. My DS auditioned to Elmhurst last year and is now very happy there loving the vocational training. 

The parent/candidate discussion is just an informal chat between the member of staff and your child. I just sat there listening to my DS answers about his favourite subjects at school, plans for the future, ways to cope with possibly being homesick etc. It was very relaxed and nothing to worry about . During the orthopaedic assessment a physiotherapist will check your DS joints and spine, ask him to do a couple of stretches. If you have more questions feel free to send me a private message 

Edited to add that there were around 45 ish girls and 35 ish boys at finals (if I remember well)

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Happymum said:

Hello PBM, well done to your DS. My DS auditioned to Elmhurst last year and is now very happy there loving the vocational training. 

The parent/candidate discussion is just an informal chat between the member of staff and your child. I just sat there listening to my DS answers about his favourite subjects at school, plans for the future, ways to cope with possibly being homesick etc. It was very relaxed and nothing to worry about . During the orthopaedic assessment a physiotherapist will check your DS joints and spine, ask him to do a couple of stretches. If you have more questions feel free to send me a private message 

Edited to add that there were around 45 ish girls and 35 ish boys at finals (if I remember well)

Hi Happymum, congrats to your DS. Thanks for that information it's reassuring. He's going for the experience and has already said if he's not successful this year he'll be better prepared for next year's round of auditions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Just wondering for those of you who have already been, what do they look for in a solo? DS is torn between trying out moves he’d like to do but hasn’t quite perfected or going simple. 

We’re overthinking this, can you tell??? 🤣🤣🤣

Agree to go simple. DD did a festival ballet solo that she's been doing for the last 18 months or so  in her audition and got offered a place. It's a very simple routine, and one that she's almost outgrown technique-wise, but it was one she could do very confidently and 'perform' as Pictures said, without worrying about some tricky step that she wasn't 100% on. 

• Like 3

Thanks for this. DS has (with his sister) choreographed a ballet solo to the theme music from The Hobbit. (One of his favourite films). We’ve tracked down a piano version of it and it sounds gorgeous. 

Two weeks to work on his performance of it now...oooooooooooooh!! 😄😄😄

• Like 3

On 05/03/2018 at 11:43, Picturesinthefirelight said:

That sounds great. And the fact he choreographed it himself shows creativity. 

Has he got his singing music sorted?

I called the school, as DS is not a natural singer really. They said he can just go in with the teacher and do some vocal exercises. Hopefully he will be ok with this. All getting a bit close now...😯😯😯

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

I called the school, as DS is not a natural singer really. They said he can just go in with the teacher and do some vocal exercises. Hopefully he will be ok with this. All getting a bit close now...😯😯😯

Yes, please don't stress.  We had asked for my DD to not do the singing part, but they asked her to on the day anyway - she sang Happy Birthday.  She can't hold a tune at all, and was really shocked on the day when asked to sing.  She decided to just do it with a smile on her face, and she's been offered a place there.

• Like 4

DD at Elmhurst finals on Thursday. Any thoughts about wearing her JA (Royal) tracksuit on the day? Easy to change in and out of but maybe not appropriate??

Definitely not wearing her JA leotard - got a nice leo in a colour that suits her. :)

Be glad when this is all over and I can stop obsessing about every little detail! My hubby is so grateful I've found this forum......:lol:

23 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Does anyone have any experience of the WL waiting list? How many are on the list for Year 7? Do places ever come up? I’m feeling rather lost!

Congratulations!!  a waiting list place is a huge achievement for white lodge and as I understand it very few go on the list and last year certainly a year 7 girl was accepted off the wait list xx 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lspendl828 said:

DD at Elmhurst finals on Thursday. Any thoughts about wearing her JA (Royal) tracksuit on the day? Easy to change in and out of but maybe not appropriate??

Definitely not wearing her JA leotard - got a nice leo in a colour that suits her. :)

Be glad when this is all over and I can stop obsessing about every little detail! My hubby is so grateful I've found this forum......:lol:

It should be fine. In the lower Elmhurst associates lots are also Jas so Elmhurst are used to seeing dancers in the J.A. tracksuit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lspendl828 said:

My dd wore her Elmhurst tracksuit to her final audition but many others were wearing RBS tracksuits. Most importantly make sure dd wears a leotard that she finds comfortable and wont fidget in.

Good luck to dd. 

Xx

• Like 1

Argh, DS has come down with a virus and has his Elmhurst final on Wednesday. He's not really 'ill' but wiped out with a low grade fever - we've had slapped cheek doing the rounds at school so I suspect it will turn out to be that in the following days. Anyway this close to the audition he is panicking because he doesn't was to lose conditioning and seize up. I have no real knowledge of the ballet world. We kept him off his tap and jazz class today so he could rest, but he has his ballet scholars' class tomorrow. Should I send him? I think he should go as it's the last 'lesson' he'll have before his audition and he'll have a couple of days to recover, but equally don't want him to overdo it and then struggle at his audition. What sort of preparation should he be doing this close to the audition? All I get from his ballet teacher is "practise, practise, practise" and points he needs to remember. He's been doing 1-2 hours a day up to now of stretches, conditioning and dancing. I suspect I may be overthinking this, normally he just dances through stuff but this audition means so much to him I want to give him the correct advice.

Thanks in advance x

Sorry to hear that your son is unwell PBM. There's no right or wrong answer really, but personally I would prioritise rest over one more class. Remember they are primarily looking for potential at this stage, and the probability of anything he learns in one extra class making any difference to the outcome is very slim. However if he's tired, a bit washed out and not giving 100% in the audition he won't come across as well as if he is well rested and properly recovered from his illness. My similarly aged son doesn't dance but does a couple of sports fairly seriously and his coaches always stress the need to recover from illness before resuming training.

It's a bit like last minute cramming for an academic exam I think. That rarely adds anything of any value, has a tendency to cause stress and makes you tired. Sometimes it's better to just accept you've done what you can and try to get a decent nights sleep!

Plus there is the public health aspect to consider - if he does have an infectious illness it's perhaps better to keep him out of class anyway.

Hope he gets better soon.

• Like 3

I agree with Pups_Mum.  What rotten timing!  If it is Slap Cheek or anything else similarly contagious then do keep him at home and resting, not only for his sake but for his classmates' sake too.  He won't lose any technique by having a couple of days' complete rest.  

If it's contagious it would probably be worth letting Elmhurst know too.   I hope he feels better very soon.

Thanks. I suspect I'm jumping the gun with slapped cheek (over thinking again), I teach reception which is where our cases have been and he's in another building so less likely to have contracted it. It's more likely the cold his sister has had and he seems to be much brighter this afternoon so looking promising. He had flu before his preliminary audition and did ok so fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Oh no! PBM, I’m feeling for you and your DS. Take it easy. My DS has an audition tomorrow and has barely looked at anything today! Far too laid back...😂😂

Does anyone know if you can get any feedback from vocational auditions? Be interesting for future reference to know if DS had two left legs? 🤪🤪 (Going silently round the twist!) xx

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Oh no! PBM, I’m feeling for you and your DS. Take it easy. My DS has an audition tomorrow and has barely looked at anything today! Far too laid back...😂😂

Does anyone know if you can get any feedback from vocational auditions? Be interesting for future reference to know if DS had two left legs? 🤪🤪 (Going silently round the twist!) xx

Thankfully he wasn't down for long. He woke up absolutely fine on Sunday so attended his Scholar's class and then practised again after school tonight. He'll have an enforced night off tomorrow though as we'll be driving down to Birmingham and it will be pretty much straight to bed when we get there! 

I wondered about feedback too. I've seen mentions of feedback from WL finals but does anyone know if you can get feedback from Elmhurst? I am sure this is more stressful for the parents than it is DC, DS just loves to dance whenever/wherever he can.

Hope your DS has a great day tomorrow x

Just a reminder to keep this thread for general audition questions and answers - I have moved the recent good luck posts  here:  

Just a reminder to keep this thread for general audition questions and answers - I have moved the recent posts regarding this year's results here:  

• Like 2