Professionals "doing their own thing" in open classes

alison

This came to mind during my most recent ballet class: some years ago, a friend of mine (who's also a dance teacher) attended an open, professional-level class, and found a dancer she recognised from one of the major companies there as well.  Fine, it does happen, of course, except that this dancer was very much doing their own thing and seemingly using the class for a pre-performance afternoon warm-up, rather than following what the teacher was setting.  My friend felt this was very discourteous to the teacher.

Does this happen a lot, and if so, do you find it discourteous?  Of course, for all I know, the dancer in question might have asked (and received) permission from the teacher beforehand.

Very, very rude! I think the teacher should have asked them to either follow the class or leave if it was disrupting the rest of the class. Unless you need to simplify the steps or have an injury or weakness (which the teacher should be aware of) I don't find it acceptable for anyone to do this and a professional, in particular, should know better.

I've no personal experience, but I struggle to understand why anyone would go to a class of any kind if they didn't want to listen to what the teacher said. seems very odd to me. Surely if someone just wants a practice space there are other, better ways to do that?

• Like 2

You've just posted my sentiments entirely Pups mum. Why bother to pay for a class you obviously don't feel you need!! Unless of course the dancer knew the teacher and had asked to use the class as a warm up still a bit odd though!