Questions about the practical aspects of life at Vocational School

Anna C

• 2 years later...

I recently took one of my pupils to an audition, which was about an hour and a half away from us, it made for a very interesting car journey. She's 10 and currently a Royal JA looking to audition for white lodge, Tring, moorland and elmhurst for year 7 entry. Her questions caught me completely off guard, I was expecting questions about what colour leotard she would have to wear . I did assure her that I would try and get her some answers so her it goes, any help would be much appreciated....

My little ballerina would like to know

- What sorts of meals will she have breakfast/dinner/tea (she asked this several times so I think this is an important one!)

- Will she have a shared bedroom or a dormitory

- Will she have chance to meet the people in her year before she starts

- How many "real" (academic) lessons will she have

Obviously auditions haven't started yet so we've no clue as to how she will get on, but the more she knows the better it may change her mind about auditioning or make her work even harder who knows!

Any info I can pass back to her would be great, thanks in advance

I think that these things may vary across the schools she is considering and would be great questions to ask at open days or at audition day tours. I think that generally all year 7 students share bedrooms/dorms, numbers in each vary from school to school. Most schools mix academics and dance in a day and she will do roughly the same amount of academics as she would at a local day school because she will be heading towards a similar number of GCSEs (or their upcoming replacements). Most schools offer an induction day at the end of the summer term and the new group will be able to meet each other and exchange contact details. I think that food may be the most individual aspect she is asking about - schools will have different providers which impacts on the quality and style of what is offered and also may have different approaches to healthy eating and degree of autonomy over choice, particularly around non meal time snacks. I'm sure lots of forum members will be able to give you more specific information about these individual schools from their own experiences.

If I answer from an Elmhurst perspective then I'm sure others can give you answers to your pupils questions from other schools.

Yes three meals a day all taken in the school bistro, some choices and always a vegetarian option and a salad bar. Snacks proved during school days also in bistro. Dd feels the quality and choice has improved over the years. At weekends although meals taken in bistro the houseparents may organise theme nights and have films and pizza for example.

School days are longer to accommodate the hours of dancing and academic study. And they mix between dance and academics during the day. She will study all the regular subjects English, maths, geography, history, science, art. I can't remember exact number of each it works out to be roughly 50/50 split between academics and dance. In the lead up to summer show dance overtakes academic studies.

Until year 10 it is shared twin bedrooms, then single bedrooms until sixth form when move into flats with shared bedrooms again. They get to put down who they would like to share with each term but they sometimes get disappointed. They do change rooms every term and have to pack up and bring everything home.

Elmhurst have always run an induction day for lower school in the last few weeks of summer term where they meet each other, the teachers, get a proper look around the school, get fitted for uniform.

What sensible questions she had for a 10 year old!

Tring lower school so years 7-9 dance in the morning. They start at 8.30 and finish about 12 or 12.05 something like that. They then have academics in the afternoon until 4.45. They then have prep (homework) 4.45-6 and they then have supper. At about 3.45 they have a quick 15 min break for tea.

My DD loves the food. Every few weeks they have brunch at 11 on a Sunday when they can go into the dining hall in their pyjamas if they want to. They sometimes have cooked breakfasts but I'm not sure how frequently. I can't always get clear answers from my DD as she is too busy telling me about other things. She definitely talks more now. I can't get her to shut up!!

There are 7 in her dorm. Some dorms have less.

They had a taster day at the end of June so did a vocational class, a music class and an academic class and got to meet her year. She also met her form tutor, who is lovely so started school well prepared. Her form tutor also sent a postcard to her at the end of the holiday saying she was looking forward to seeing her, so that was special. My DD loves every minute at school and she is very happy. I am really pleased with all aspects.

I know Elmhurst have dorms with 2 in and a friend's DS has started there and is also very happy. I don't know any more specifics of that school though.

Hope that helps a bit. I will try and get clearer answers re food and I am sure others can give you more information too.

• Like 2

My dd attends a different school where your pupil isn't applying but she's been on summer schools at Moorland & seen the accommodation & food (which she said was lovely). The accommodation for younger children seems to be in bedrooms of between 4-6 children (though I didn't see all rooms)

An aquaintance's children were offered places there & both were invited for tAster days/weeks. I don't know if everyone went on the same day one was a child offered a prep school place & the other a child offered a football place & both had previously been associates/Academy members.

Ds says food at Tring can be a bit variable - really great to start with, great on Audition days and when special guests arrive by standards can slip In Between these times. I have to say though, he is supper picky and at home it's good to see that he is nowhere near as picky as he was. When he went to Moorlands summer school, he thought the food was fantastic! Apparently they have an amazing chef.

• Like 1