Genee Glasgow 2013

Nana Lily

The ATG group selling the tickets for the finals on Sunday at the theatre royal in Glasgow were advertising 10 to 15 seats still available yesterday so you might still be lucky Chelsea bun www.atgtickets.com .I can't wait to attend the finals on Sunday.DD and her ballet teacher are making the most of their Glasgow weekend by also going to see Scottish Ballet perform The Rite of Spring and Elite Syncopation on Saturday.

• Like 2

We are all going (apart from eldest son who sadly has to head back to school on Sunday morning). Will try to find you in the interval nana lily. We saw Scottish Ballet last night and it was WONDERFUL celb! Hope your daughter and her ballet teacher have a fabulous weekend.

• Like 3

Excuse format!

For immediate release
27 September 2013

Genée International Ballet Competition 2013:
Finalists and winner of new Dancer’s Own Choreographic Award announced

Twelve young dancers (nine female and three male), have been named as Finalists of the Royal Academy of Dance’s Genée International Ballet Competition 2013.

58 candidates from 14 different countries as far afield as the USA, Japan, Mexico, Thailand and Australia, competed in one of the world’s most prestigious international ballet competitions. The Finalists will now compete for gold, silver
and bronze medals on Sunday 29 September at the Theatre Royal in Glasgow, Scotland.

Desmond Kelly, Chair of the panel of Semi-Finals judges, said: "Having been heavily involved in dance education, one of the nicest things I can do now I'm retired is watch dance students doing what they do best - dancing. The judging panel all looked for the same strengths in the candidates - technique allied with stage presence, musicality and most importantly, classical line. The choosing of the 12 Finalists was absolutely unanimous."

The Dancer’s Own Choreographic Award, sponsored by Mondor, and new for 2013, was awarded to Padua Eaton (aged 16, from Great Britain). This award was created in response to the successful introduction of ‘Dancer’s Own’ in 2012. This is a section of the competition in which candidates are invited to perform a piece of original choreography
created by themselves, their teacher or a peer. As a competition Finalist, Padua will perform her own choreography as part of the Final programme on Sunday 29 September.

Finalists will perform in front of a judging panel of top international ballet professionals, including prima ballerina and President of the Royal Academy of Dance Darcey Bussell CBE, Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare, and Artistic Director of Scottish Ballet Christopher Hampson.

Finalists of the Genée International Ballet Competition 2013:

•  Isabelle Brouwers, aged 17 from English National Ballet School (German)

•  Larissa Crafford-Lazarus, aged 16 from Pro Arte Academy (South African)

•  Padua Eaton, aged 16 from Elmhurst School for Dance (British)

•  Jodie Herron, aged 16 from Pro Arte Centre (Canadian)

•  Sasha Leong, aged 15 from Sydney Ballet School (Australian)

•  Katie Rogers, aged 17 from Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (British)

•  Maki Sezuku, aged 19 from Elmhurst School for Dance (Japanese)

•  Kathleen Videira, aged 16 from Art of Motion (South African)

•  Natasha Watson, aged 17 from Ballet West (British)

•  Rory Ferguson, aged 17 from Tanya Pearson Classical Coaching Academy (Australian)

•  John Rhys Halliwell, aged 18 from English National Ballet School (British)

•  Pascal Johnson, aged 18 from Tring Park School for the Performing Arts (British/American)

This is the first time the annual competition has been held in Scotland. The event has previously been staged in
Wellington, Cape Town, London, Singapore, Toronto, Hong Kong, Athens and Sydney. The Final will take place on
Sunday 29 September at the Theatre Royal Glasgow. The Final has now sold out.

-ENDS-

• Like 2

The full results are up:

http://pilot-rad.org.uk/news/genee-2013-medallists

I've copied and pasted them below:

"High performance standards left the judges with difficult decisions, but they eventually awarded five medals. The full list of medallists is as follows:
No gold medals were awarded."

Silver medallists (two female, no male)

• Isabelle Brouwers, 17, from English National Ballet School (German)
  • Sasha Leong, 15, from Sydney Ballet School (Australian)

Bronze medallists (one female, two male)

• Natasha Watson, 17, from Ballet West (British) - winner of the level 2 Genée Dance Challenge 2010.
  • Rory Ferguson, 17, from Tanya Pearson Classical Coaching Academy (Australian)
  • John Rhys Halliwell, 18, from English National Ballet School (British) - finalist in the RAD's Fonteyn Nureyev Young Dancers Competition 2006 and winner of the RAD's Phyllis Bedells Bursary 2011.

The Audience Award, voted for by audience members on the night, went to John Rhys Halliwell.

The Dancer’s Own Choreographic Award, announced at last Friday’s Semi-final, was presented to winner Padua Eaton  who choreographed her own variation − by Armando Guadagno, General Manager of award sponsor Mondor.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

My friend in Oz will be pleased about Rory. Her daughter is at the Tanya Pearson Academy in Sydney. She also told me that Sasha Leong is a lovely dancer.

Not awarding the Gold sounds good on one level that they were all so good no one person stood out enough!!

• Like 1

It was a fantastic evening with an amazing atmosphere. The winners were all hugely deserving (although I would have liked to have seen a silver for John Rhys rather than a bronze) and we were thrilled to see Ballet West's Natasha Watson win a bronze. Loved Padua Eaton's choreography. Great that John Rhys also went home with the audience vote. I spent the intervals chatting as there were so many familiar faces. Great to see a few balletcoers too.

• Like 4

What an exciting and inspiring weekend of dance.My DD and I met up with so many friends ,balleocoers and teachers - great to support an event of this caliber in Scotland .We enjoyed cheering on the talented young dancers from my DD's school and also anyone or anything Scottish.I was disappointed to discover we'd missed a ceilidh on the Saturday night.Back to the dancing- for me suppressing partisan tendencies ,amongst the girls Sasha Leong from Sydney Ballet School really stood out, especially her breathtaking classical variation from La Bayadere.Maki Sekuzu ,a student at Elmhurst demonstrated beautiful classical lines and artistry in a simple white leotard.Padua Eaton's award winning own choreography " Computer Virus" was memorable for its quirkiness and originality (also Elmhurst).John Rhys is a witty and expressive performer rightly capturing the audience award along with his well deserved bronze medal.The opportunity for developing dancers to participate in the Genee coaching classes ,win or lose is reward in itself and something for our younger DCs to aspire to.

Edited by celb
  • Like 3