Graduation - what comes next?

Pas de Quatre

Following on from the thread about graduate contracts I thought it might be useful to open a more general discussion.  Some lucky dancers do find a job on graduation, but many more are left considering their options.

There are various "finishing" years, graduate companies and apprenticeships that new graduates can apply for - normally selection is by audition.  Once upon a time apprenticeships were paid, and although it was less than a full member of the company, it was still a living wage.  These paid apprenticeships appear to be an endangered species though, and most apprenticeships these days are a placement as part of a post-graduate diploma or MA.  Not only do you have to pay for the privilege, but student loans are not available, so living costs have to be found somehow.

It is a constantly evolving field, so it would be helpful if anyone else has more information to contribute.

• Like 6

Well given that this year's intake for just RBS, ENBS, Elmhurst, Central and Rambert is about 180 students (give or take a few) and I have no idea how many more are at Tring, Hammond and Northern Ballet School, I should think that many are left considering their options after graduation!

• Like 3

And that's just the number in this country. When ds was auditioning for jobs in Europe there were students from all over the world. I think sometimes we forget how well they've done to get any kind of job with the competition out there (and not just graduating students - there are also dancers auditioning who are already in jobs).

• Like 8

In addition to those Ribbons mentions there are Northern Ballet Academy, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Ballet West and also from next year the new school of Ballet Theatre UK.  There are not that many classical ballet jobs, so one option is to branch out into Contemporary or Jazz., possibly with extra training along the way. Then there will also be the graduates from Laban, London Contemporary Dance School and Northern Contemporary Dance School auditoning for Contemporary apprenticeships & jobs, and Laines, Birds, Urdang, Kate Simmons and others for the Jazz route, cruise ships, West End etc.

So anyone who has a contract in any of the fields has done really well.

• Like 4