Matthew Golding to join Royal Ballet

calm down, calm down

Well, with our Agents Tamara Rojo (born in Montreal) now in charge at ENB and David Nixon (born in Chatham, Ontario) in charge at Northern B, we now have only to infiltrate Scottish B and BRB and our quest for world domination (which until now whe have managed to conceal under our generally unassuming demeanour)  is well on its way. Mwahahahaha

• Like 8

I've never seen Matthew Golding dance so won't judge, I'm happy to get to see a new dancer. But the thing that surprises me most is that I seem to remember that Kevin O'Hare seemed to be saying he wouldn't be looking into importing dancers or having guests. Does anyone know what made him change his mind? 

Or am I misremembering the particular circumstances or phrasing that make the recent casting decision in line with what he was initially announcing?

I think another Canadian Principal for the RB would be good, Jason Reilly for Onegin, Rudolf, de Grieux etc. :)

I'm moderately excited about Matthew Golding, he created a huge buzz dancing Solor, an obvious choice for the classics as he combines good partnering with exceptional technique, he won't be too overshadowed by Natalia Osipova.

• Like 3

I think another Canadian Principal for the RB would be good, Jason Reilly for Onegin, Rudolf, de Grieux etc. :)

I'm moderately excited about Matthew Golding, he created a huge buzz dancing Solor, an obvious choice for the classics as he combines good partnering with exceptional technique, he won't be too overshadowed by Natalia Osipova.

So am I right in thinking he is the style of dancer that will be competing with Bonelli, Kish, Pennefather for roles, as opposed to the roles usually performed by Watson and McRae? Sorry, don't know much about him at all.

I don't know much about him but I imagine that he is in the category of danseur noble. He's also tall (probably over 6 foot). I notice from the DNB website that he first made his mark in Don Quixote and so I assume that he also has a bravura side to him.

Reilly is not for sale  - Karen Kain tried to lure him away once, he had already signed the contract and then decided to stay at Stuttgart. With his Canadian Ballet director, by the way ;)

And his Canadian colleagues Evan McKie and Miriam Simon etc etc. We really ARE taking over the world. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• Like 6

I was in Lewes this morning and coming in October to one of the music venues there is a mini folk event with all Canadian singers!!

Now what' this thread about...oh yes Matthew Golding coming to RB.....might have to bring a body guard with him unless Kevin O Hare promotes SOMEONE from the ranks!!

I have never seen Matthew Golding so I am viewing this as an opportunity to see another dancer from outside RB without having to trek a million miles to wherever to see him.  It amazes and saddens me at the same time that people are so quick to castigate dancers without giving them a fair crack at the whip.  As ballet fans I think we should be supportive and encouraging, whilst accepting that not everyone is going to be perfect and not everyone is going to be liked, but live and let live.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 11

I have never seen Matthew Golding so I am viewing this as an opportunity to see another dancer from outside RB without having to trek a million miles to wherever to see him.  It amazes and saddens me at the same time that people are so quick to castigate dancers without giving them a fair crack at the whip.  As ballet fans I think we should be supportive and encouraging, whilst accepting that not everyone is going to be perfect and not everyone is going to be liked, but live and let live.

When I posted my comment/opinion it was not about "castigating" a dancer, Don Q Fan, I am all for being supportive, encouraging and " live and let live". I do have an informed opinion and it happens to differ from yours and others but it's not because I have a different opinion that I am castigating a dancer.

We don't all think alike, we have different tastes and preferences, and that's one of the reasons why Art in its many forms - and the debates that come with it - is so exciting. 

• Like 1

I think Matthew Golding is a fine dancer & I am pleased he is joining the Royal Ballet. Some of the comments on this site are rather spiteful. Hope Matthew doesn't read them!

Constructive criticism is one thing, spite quite another.....

Susan

• Like 10

I too have been rather taken back by some of comments on this board.  I prefer to share the optimism expressed by SusanR and DonQfan, while respecting that we are all different.  I only enter into this fray (which I was intending to leave aside) as I was interested in a comment made by (currently) the youngest Paris Opera Ballet male etoile, Mathias Heymann, regarding bringing different dancers into a resident company's fold.  I thought it was interesting because we hear here from a specific dancer's perspective in a comment such as was brought up by him, himself, and not via a specific question assuming you take the transcription at its face value. (I don't think Heymann has danced in London yet so he may be unknown to those whose ballet watching is strictly limited to UK boundaries.  He is I think - at least from what I have seen - a fine talent.)  In the interview which was conducted with him on the occasion of the POB's opening at the Bolshoi in Paris he is most generous about the Royal Ballet and, especially about F. Bonnelli to whom he gives abundant credit for helping him during his recent shin injuries.  He remarks - and I thought it was both interesting and relevant in light of certain commentaries on this board and in other forum items of a similar ilk elsewhere:  

"One thing I’m really in favour of is guest artists, like the Bolshoi’s Evgenia Obraztsova in La Sylphide last June. When there are 150 of us being together all the time, it’s easy to get comfortable, and guests do bring diversity. They’re an inspiration both for the audience and for us dancers."

(Of course I quote this fully acknowledging the fact that POB has, of course, always been a larger and, indeed, much older company [and school] than the Royal Ballet.  That said I would have felt that the sentiment might - at least in some small part - be shared with other dedicated members in larger resident ensembles.)  

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 3

I saw Matthew Golding dance with Tamara this year in Swan Lake in the Round at RA Hall.  He is a wonderful talent, with superb lines, great jumping ability, elegance and great partnering skills.  I very much look forward to seeing him again at RB!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've just seen Matthew Golding in Wheeldon's Cinderella (on Sky Arts) and now I understand some of the comments on this thread.  Have to say I think he will be a useful addition to the RB's rank of principals - particularly in the classics.  I can also see why Bruce thinks we'll need the sunglasses - such dazzling pearly whites!  In his defence, Prince Charming is a pretty one-dimensional role with little scope for more complex emotions.  He can come to this Cinders rescue anytime he likes.  Very easy on the eye, despite being blond which I always think is a disadvantage in male dancers.

Re the ballet itself - has anyone else seen it either by the Dutch National Ballet or San Francisco?  I enjoyed the production a lot and I hope someone brings it the UK.

Linda

I am currently in Berlin and saw Matthew Golding for the first time last night in Malakhov & Friends The Final...I thought he was a creditable dancer up there with the rest of the men and I thought to myself that he will partner Osipova very well in due course...looking forward to seeing him with both Tamara Rojo and Natalia Osipova very soon!

• Like 4