2013 Graduate Contracts

Central has now published a list of 2013 Graduate contracts on its website:

http://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/ssgraduatesuccess.php/

As and when the info is published by other Upper Schools onto their websites, feel free to post links here. And if any parents have info about their own children that they are happy to share, feel free. :-)

• Like 1

Gosh what a journey this ballet world is. From going for auditions to achieving a place with funding, then 6th form and then when they graduate what happens next? So much to learn, it sometimes feels like a never ending journey, and I'm just the mum.

• Like 2

Gosh what a journey this ballet world is. From going for auditions to achieving a place with funding, then 6th form and then when they graduate what happens next? So much to learn, it sometimes feels like a never ending journey, and I'm

just the mum.

Not just the mum. The extra strong glue that holds things together and is there every step of the way either physically or in spirit. However long the journey is..

And yes it goes well beyond the training, professional life can make the training look like a party!

By and large its those with supportive parents who make it through.

So to all brilliant mums and dads on this forum thankyou for understanding your childrens needs to dance.

• Like 9

How about the Rambert? Does anyone know about them please?

I only know a few placements from the 2013 graduates: National Dance Company of Wales, Apprentice Dancer at Scottish Dance Theatre, Matthew Bourne, Balletboyz, Cullberg Ballet, Ballet Junior de Geneve.

In the past couple of years or so others have gone to Rambert Dance Company, Phoenix Dance Theatre, ENB, Northern Ballet, Scottish Ballet, Hofesh Shechter, Richard Alston and so on.  

It's disappointing to see that in the last two years BRB has only taken on one of Elmhurst's graduates (although another was taken on a year later). I wonder whether companies prefer to recruit dancers from the corps in other companies rather than new graduates from the schools. Both last year and this year ENB seems to have recruited a number of young dancers from overseas (I'm not sure whether they were all in companies) rather than graduates from its own school and from other schools in the UK.

Both last year and this year ENB seems to have recruited a number of young dancers from overseas (I'm not sure whether they were all in companies) rather than graduates from its own school and from other schools in the UK.

Maybe you weren't aware, Aileen, that ENB did take two graduates from a UK school this year.  Daniele Silingardi and Joan Zamora are both 2013 RBS graduates.

At long last Elmhurst have put up their 2013 graduates on the website. (gentle prod this morning may have had something to do with it)

http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/graduate-employment.html

Well done to them all from a very proud mum who's DS is in his first professional performance this evening.

Many many congratulations to your ds Kathy, and to all those who have got a contract this year. :-)

Several ladies who have "Graduate Placement" at Elmhurst - is that staying at school?

• Like 1

I had overlooked these two graduates from the RBS, Bluebird. Thanks for mentioning them. That doesn't alter the fact that ENB has chosen to recruit a number of junior dancers from schools and companies abroad rather than from its own school. IMO, the company let Kevin Poeung (an ENBS graduate) slip through its fingers but, happily, he is dancing in the UK, with NB, where he is already taking on large roles and making a name for himself.

It's disappointing to see that in the last two years BRB has only taken on one of Elmhurst's graduates (although another was taken on a year later). I wonder whether companies prefer to recruit dancers from the corps in other companies rather than new graduates from the schools. Both last year and this year ENB seems to have recruited a number of young dancers from overseas (I'm not sure whether they were all in companies) rather than graduates from its own school and from other schools in the UK.

I think the days of links between companies and associate schools are well and truly over. In these times of economic difficulty and globalisation, I think the ADs just pick the best dancers they can wherever they come from. 

BRB still seems to take most of its dancers from RBS, but Elmhurst, ENBS and Central feature in there. A bigger issue is that most of the women taken on in recent times seem to be Japanese or of Japanese origin. Not that I have anything against Japanese dancers but 'BRB' does seem to be turning into 'JRB'! :huh:

I only know a few placements from the 2013 graduates: National Dance Company of Wales, Apprentice Dancer at Scottish Dance Theatre, Matthew Bourne, Balletboyz, Cullberg Ballet, Ballet Junior de Geneve.

In the past couple of years or so others have gone to Rambert Dance Company, Phoenix Dance Theatre, ENB, Northern Ballet, Scottish Ballet, Hofesh Shechter, Richard Alston and so on.  

Thanks for this update. It'd be interesting if they'd publish a list. Bet the recent graduates wish they'd been amongst the first to use the new HQ.

At long last Elmhurst have put up their 2013 graduates on the website. (gentle prod this morning may have had something to do with it)

http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/graduate-employment.html

Well done to them all from a very proud mum who's DS is in his first professional performance this evening.

So pleased for you and your ds. Long may you enjoy saying my son is a professional Ballet dancer!

Congratulations to all graduates everywhere who have managed to get that elusive first contract!

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Interesting - fewer than in previous years, but we all know how hard it is to get contracts these days.  But I am curious as to why they no longer give individual's names and have erased them from previous years lists too.  Could it be that it is again mainly boys getting the contracts?

• Like 2