Dunkin Donuts Woe

Lisa O`Brien

Just heard on Sky News that Dunkin Donuts are to reopen stores across the UK,20 years after they closed. Well that`s really going to help the UK`s obesity epidemic,isn`t it???  BTW their donuts are divine. I used to practically live on them when I lived in Japan. Hope to God they don`t open one in Newry then, or that`s me buggered. [Hope I can get away with saying buggered] ??

• Like 3

Krispy Kreme is everywhere at the moment. They are totally delish. Probably the same as Dunkin Donuts though. How much different can an Americal donut be? We need an American to give us their opinion  :)

Well, here I am in all my star spangled Yankee doodle glory.....and my opinion is......

Drum roll, please

I haven't had a donut in decades.  They all seem to leave a greasy film in my mouth that I don't like....however, I'd be willing to try it again just to see if that was my imagination...so please send any samples ........

• Like 8

Krispy Kreme opened with great fanfare a few years ago in Canada, almost with the suggestion that we poor Canadians had been deprived of the REAL doughnut (though trust me, few nations yield to Canadians in their doughnut passion and we have plenty of good doughnut shops). Anyway, after a couple of years, KK closed down entirely in Canada and slunk away. Canadians, like Janet, found their doughnuts too sweet.

What you need in the UK is Tim Hortons.

• Like 1

Here, here Alison. My local Tesco has a Krispy Kreme franchise on the ground floor and the aroma wafts up the travelator. Instant nausea. I have actually eaten one, not because of the aroma, but because my other half bought some. I didn't like it at all - sickly sweet with a sort of oily chemical aftertaste.

Traditionally-spelled doughnuts are delicious, particularly the jam ones. Leave them alone, KK and DD!

• Like 4

When I was a kid my favourite treat during the annual trip to the Battersea Park fun fair was the stand that made hot doughnuts on the spot.  Could not resist them!   They actually opened a DD here and for a while had queues into the street for them, but somehow after a while the queues dwindled away and they eventually closed.  Much better for my figure as I have to confess to loving them - reminded me of my childhood treat!

• Like 2

The only doughnuts I actually really like are the freshly cooked ring doughnuts you get at funfairs etc. - possibly because they aren't too sweet. I find jam AND sugar too sweet - possibly because I had a Saturday job in a supermarket instore bakery and often had to fill doughnuts. :-D

I did have one KK doughnut which was rather nice - chocolate top, custardy filling - but it took me 2 days to eat it (combination of very small appetite and more of a savoury tooth). Dd loves KK as an occasional treat.

• Like 2

Spanner - that's what I used to love at Battersea Fun Fair!  The ring doughnuts hot out of the oil with a spot of powdered sugar on them.  Ooh just the smell!  I would not go home until I'd dragged my Dad to find the doughnut stand!!!  Funny that it's something I've remembered all these years!  I find the jam doughnuts too stodgy and sweet - these were light and melt in the mouth!

• Like 3

There is a dance component to this donut thread.....

I remember during a long rehearsal a stage hand brought in several boxes of donuts to the delight of the crew and the dismay of the dancers. 

The male dancers didn't spend much time thinking about it - and eagerly ate their share.  However, the women only reluntantly gave in to hunger and temptation - except for one young woman.

Glancing sidewise at her partner, she almost tearfully said: "No, it will go straight to my hips and I'll gain weight."

I suggested we try a little experiment.  I suggested that her partner lift her - and when he did, I handed her the donut.

"Well," I asked her partner as he held her aloft - "does she weigh any heavier?"

When he responded (laughing so much he almost dropped her) "No, she doesn't."  I told her she should eat her donut without qualms.

As for the aroma of baking.......

In Philadelphia when I commuted daily there was a transit interchange - many bus, trolley and train lines coming together.  Hundreds of people stood about waiting for their next mode of  public transportation to appear.  There was no protection from the weather which  was often cold - freezing - raining, snowing, sleeting - and people on their way home from a day's work waiting for a bus, etc., were cold, tired and hungry.

An enterprising soul opened a small bakery directly across the street from the home going crowds.  The bakery sold only one product  - hot cinnamon rolls baked on the premises - in boxes of a dozen each.  The truly inspired part of this enterprise is that the bakery owner left the door open so that the delicious aroma of yeast baking up into these sweet rolls wafted across the street to the cold hungry people waiting.  Since only one product was sold - the sales transaction was quickly done - taking mere moments so that a bus, trolley, etc., would not be missed.

Needless to say, few could resist and the baker did a bang up business.  Some might call that - taking advantage of an open door.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 6

Spanner - that's what I used to love at Battersea Fun Fair!  The ring doughnuts hot out of the oil with a spot of powdered sugar on them.  Ooh just the smell!  I would not go home until I'd dragged my Dad to find the doughnut stand!!!  Funny that it's something I've remembered all these years!  I find the jam doughnuts too stodgy and sweet - these were light and melt in the mouth!

If anyone is ever in Dublin,on O`Connell Street just adjacent to the famous GPO, there is a man who sells those funfair type donuts all year round. Gorgeous. And the smell.!!!!

I did have one KK doughnut which was rather nice - chocolate top, custardy filling - but it took me 2 days to eat it (combination of very small appetite and more of a savoury tooth). Dd loves KK as an occasional treat.

2 days to eat a doughnut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: Are you serious? More like 2 minutes with me  :D

• Like 5

Ive had a Cadburys chocolate creme egg in the fridge now for 18 months! It gets behind things and I forget its there and then when I do see it think I must eat that tomorrow and so it goes on. I do have crazes on things and then go off them for months. I suppose it will still be alright to eat now.

• Like 3

My Aunty Rita,who is now retired,used to work at Cadbury`s. She started off working on the conveyor belt,being able to help herself to as much chocolate as she wanted. Don`t know if they still allow this, but when she began the management figured if they let the workers eat as much chocolate as they wanted when they first started work there, after a fortnight they will be so sick of the sight and taste of chocolate, the company would never have any long-term problems with staff stealing it. She eventually worked her way up to senior management, and told me that Cadbury`s make Creme Eggs all year round and store them in warehouses ready for the few weeks at Easter they become available. It was great when she used to come to visit, because she always brought loads of six packs of creme eggs with her,and no one else in the country had access to them.!! They decided to take them off the shelves all year round because, when they are limited to being available just for a few weeks, they actually sold more and made more profit than when people could buy them whenever they want. Clever marketing or what.?

• Like 3

Well, here I am in all my star spangled Yankee doodle glory.....and my opinion is......

Drum roll, please

I haven't had a donut in decades.  They all seem to leave a greasy film in my mouth that I don't like....however, I'd be willing to try it again just to see if that was my imagination...so please send any samples ........

Ha ha - Anjuli, don't you know anyone who eats doughnuts who would be able to share their wisdom on this highly important matter?

I did find an article that talks about their relative market positions etc. and there was a little bit in it about customer preferences:

Many customers hold lifetime allegiance to the companies.

Theresea Bryan Bellavia, a Krispy Kreme customer from Matthews, said she makes the 15-mile drive to the Krispy Kreme on Sharon Amity Road for the glazed doughnuts that her dad treated her to as a child.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/19/4175880/dunkin-donuts-vs-krispy-kreme.html#.UjWmmBbPUag#storylink=cpy

Edited by alison
Excessive quoting
  • Like 1

"Ha ha - Anjuli, don't you know anyone who eats doughnuts who would be able to share their wisdom on this highly important matter?"

Well, I guess I just don't know the right people.  I can't think of anyone I know who goes on about donuts.  Or - maybe they just don't want to admit it.

Now, bagels are a different matter. 

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 3

Anjuli - I don't know too much about bagels (apart from the fact that they've got a hole in the middle!).  Could you please describe the perfect bagel to me?  Is the crust supposed to be hard or is soft crust acceptable.  Are the ones with things in (eg olives, sun-dried tomatoes) acceptable?

Anjuli - I don't know too much about bagels (apart from the fact that they've got a hole in the middle!).  Could you please describe the perfect bagel to me?  Is the crust supposed to be hard or is soft crust acceptable.  Are the ones with things in (eg olives, sun-dried tomatoes) acceptable?

Bagels are a big deal here in the USA. There are a number of large across the country franchise stores as well as many, many small (mom and pop) shops.  Here, in San Diego - land of the taco shop on every corner - there is probably a bagel shop just around the corner and certainly in every supermarket. 

The following is my personal preference - bagel fanatics will, I am sure -- disagree.

Bagels are a yeast bread - size and shape of a donut -  that is boiled before it is baked.  I grew up with only two basic varieties:  water bagels and egg bagels.  With no added flim flam like olives, raisins, etc. Now there are countless varieties.  I have grown to like when the outside is sprinkled with sesame seeds or poppy seeds.  But otherwise when it comes to tampering with what I consider the sacosanct integrity of the bagel as I know it from my infancy - thou treadest on holy ground. 

A bagel is not crusty like a French or Italian bread.  It is chewy.  The outside should be a lovely shiny brownish and chewy.  The inside should be soft - but not fluffy soft - chewy soft. 

They can be cut in half and toasted and then spread with gobs of cool sweet butter (in my dreams).  Sometimes I use them as a sandwich - cut in half - toast lightly and fill with a scrambled egg and chives.  Other popular sandwich fillers are:  sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced salmon (lox), some chopped red onion. 

They freeze well.  They are filling.  After a couple of bagels you are set to plow the fields for the rest of the day.

Trivia question for the day:

One often sees donut holes on sale - but why never bagel holes?

Because.....while a donut hole is cut out of the dough - the bagel hole is depressed into the dough. 

Something you always wanted to know, I am sure.......

• Like 6