Jet glue for hardening pointe shoes

taxi4ballet

Does anyone know where I can buy this from please? Is it just called jet glue or does it have a brand name?

DD doing her usual wrecking job on her shoes and I really need to be able to make them last a bit longer...!  We've tried shellac, but that only lasts a couple of wears, and I was wondering if jet glue might be a better bet.

Thanks Spanner, do you know if it can be used on the sides of the shoes (I think they're called the wings)?

The platform and the bottom inch of the box are usually ok, it seems to be all around and up the sides that go soft.  Shellac works for a short while, but it tends to come through and stain the satin.

Hi Taxi4ballet

I use Daniel's glue on my own pointe shoes (I switch between Grishko, Capulet and Gaynors, depending on my mood and needs!)

I use the glue on the wings of my Grishkos as these areas soften quicker on my shoes. The glue is clear, so doesn't discolour the satin and a little goes a long way!

If you need help on how to apply feel free to inbox me :)

Sheila x

• Like 2

Be interested to hear if it helps t4b as dd has similar issue with pointe shoes and was wondering abut this today funnily enough when inspecting the wear on bloch synergies that dd uses now...been great all round just going on the wing.

Hi Taxi4ballet. This is the same problem my dd has. We use papillon pointe shoe hardener to try to strengthen them but as you say it doesn't last for long. Would be interested in anything that prolongs the life of them as can't keep up with them at the moment. Did suggest a change of shoe but she loves her Freeds! Please let us know how you get on. :)

• Like 1

Balletmumfor2, we've been using the Papillon stuff as well, and it seems to work ok for a couple of wears but then has to be re-done. The other thing is, with putting so much of it on the sides, it does tend to seep right through and show on the outside of the shoes. Which is all right for class, but not associates/performing etc!

• Like 1

Hi taxi4ballet. Yes, she has to redo them after a couple of wears. Dread to think of the state of some of the shoes she has worn for associates, festivals and auditions. She tells me it is acceptable for pointe shoes to look well worn and that you can't tell when she's dancing. She does calamine her shoes to blend in with her tights so don't know if that helps at all. I just know we've found nothing to help the damage on my bank balance yet. She does wear pros for class use which are a little more hardy and the nicer looking standard shoes for performing.

I haven't tried it because dd is not heavy on pointe shoes, but advice from EYB shoe session was to use Ronseal wet rot prevention inside the shoes. We were told it coud be reapplied to the box but care needed to be taken not to stain the side satin. Would be interested to know if it works!

When dd went to UK this summer, we couldn't send the jetglue as it's not allowed on flights so asked a balletco mom if she could send some up. She brought superglue as it is the same basic compound as jetglue. Careful though - stuff is abit toxic!

Also, are your girls rotating their pointes? DD has 2 or 3 pairs on the go - allowing pairs to dry completely before next wear. It hurt the pocketbook for the initial extra purchase but saves in the long run.

• Like 1

Hello all, this is my first post after reading this excellent forum for a few.....years.

It really is a fabulous source of information!

I do have to tinker a lot with my pointe shoes, so I have a little advice on this,

Is it possible to use the glue on the shanks? DD kills the shanks of her shoes rather than the boxes.

It depends on the make of shoe, I have successfully shellacked the shanks of Bloch shoes, (European balance and sonatas). These have cardboard type shanks.

I tried to shellac the shanks of 'pro flex' grishkos and it didn't really work.

I actually prefer the feel of shanks after they've been shellacked. I find them too 'bouncy' as they come. I do a LOT of customisation to my shoes, so I have found my own rituals. I cut out almost half of the shank and then shellac the rest once they are slightly broken in. (Obviously not recommending cutting shanks out for younger students / beginners!)

When dd went to UK this summer, we couldn't send the jetglue as it's not allowed on flights so asked a balletco mom if she could send some up. She brought superglue as it is the same basic compound as jetglue. Careful though - stuff is abit toxic!

Also, are your girls rotating their pointes? DD has 2 or 3 pairs on the go - allowing pairs to dry completely before next wear. It hurt the pocketbook for the initial extra purchase but saves in the long run.

Yes, I have found regular superglue works well, it may be a little too 'hard' for a whole shoe but it is good for spot-strengthening. Be sure it's well dried before you put the shoes on, as a friend of mine put her pointe shoes on later the same day and somehow the heat and moisture of her feet re activated the superglue, welding her big toe to the inside of the show. Not pretty.

Yes rotating shoes really helps, also what's important is WHEN the shoes are shellacked/glued. If the shoe is virtually dead the shellac won't really 'save' them.

Some dancers shellac their shoes before they wear them. The advantage of this is the shellac bothe strengthens and prevents sweat from entering the shoe, which breaks down the structure. Personally I break in my shoes for about 4 classes till they feel reasonably comfy and then shellac the toe box and the ball of foot area of the shank. Then when I feel the shoe dying a bit more I keep topping up the shellac, taking it more round the box/wings and further up the shank. That's what works for me.

I'm afraid you will need to keep topping up shellac, it's not permanent. I actually much prefer the feel of shellacked shoes, they don't feel like 'home' before I have shellacked them.

I have tried wood varnish, didn't like it myself. I prefer the papillon pointe hardener.

• Like 2

At the moment my dd has: 1 pair just about dead, 1 'show ready', 1 just broken in, and 2 new pairs coming in the post. (Not to mention about 25 dead pairs in a box under her bed which I can't persuade her to part with!).

• Like 2

Thank you so much _ emeralds, we will try shellacking the shanks ;-) I am heartened by your experience and it may encourage DD to go back to Bloch Sonatas (she wants to try their hard shank versions, having really liked her first two pairs of pointe shoes which were the 'regular' shank Sonatas) for her next pair. She currently has Grishko Vaganovas and I will try shellacking them although I note that you found that it didn't work on Grishko pro flex.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if it's possible to send jet glue (pointe shoe glue) in the post? DD is going through pointe shoes very quickly and is having difficulty purchasing pointe shoe glue where she is. I was hoping I could order her some on-line and get it sent to her. Thank you for your help.

Edited by Lucinda