Belated Summer School Review - Chantry Dance

meadowblythe

Well, you can tell its the first week back as I'm pondering summer schools ....

Just wanted to belatedly comment on Chantry Dance and their summer school.  When Rae introduced the parents' performance, she said "it's not your typical summer school."

And how!  20 students aged 12-mid 30s, working together.  From drama school students wanting to extend their dance technique, professional ballet teachers, contemporary students at top institutions to local ballet students.  The idea was to mirror the company day, so starting with ballet class and then sessions on improvisation and learning some of Paul's repertoire from his work for his own company.  Also sessions to learn a work that Paul had choreographed for the diverse group that arrived on Monday.

The funny thing is it really worked.  At the end of the performance every student was individually recognized for  at least one are of growth and improvement.  I had tears in my eyes watching the improvisation, something that has never happened to me at an end of course performance before, but watching my son working in complete harmony and partnership with someone he had only met 5 days earlier, and would never have normally come across was so moving.  It has certainly set DS up to embrace new dance forms as he moves onto the next phase of his dance training.

Dates are already on the website for next year.  We will be there!

Meadowblythe

• Like 8

My dd is starting Chantry Dance Company's associate programme later this month which she's very excited about, so fantastic to read such a lovely review! From the correspondence I have had with Rae I know that this will be an amazing experience and opportunity for her but your review has just further confirmed that!

uld

My dd is starting Chantry Dance Company's associate programme later this month which she's very excited about, so fantastic to read such a lovely review! From the correspondence I have had with Rae I know that this will be an amazing experience and opportunity for her but your review has just further confirmed that!

Clara it would be lovely to hear how it goes? We thought long and hard about Chantry but were put off by the travel to London from the north :(

Cx

Bristol Russian Ballet School run a fabulous Summer School with  national and international students,  amazing teachers including Elena Glurdjize, Leading Principal dancer with English National Ballet who is also their Patron.    The studio is in a stunning location and the cost isn't ridiculous.  If necessary they can find host families for students who live away. 

My niece absolutely loved it and fell in love with the Russian style,   she's hoping to join their Youth Ballet Company who are currently working on a production of Cinderella which will take place in the Stockport Plaza in February of next year and the icing on the cake is that they will be dancing alongside Elena Glurdjize who is dancing the lead role of Cinderella,    how amazing is that,   I understand they may be holding an Easter Summer School as well.  

• Like 2

I will certainly let you know C4D! We decided it was a good option for us as we wouldn't be able to commit to a weekly associate scheme financially (if dd was even good enough to get into one!) So the monthly Chantry Dance associate scheme seemed like a perfect option for us and will hopefully compliment the CAT scheme dd has just started too! 

• Like 1

Lovely review Meadowblythe :-) DD is also just starting a CAT scheme and joining Chantry Associates this September. Couldn't make the Summer school this year (sounds like one for the diary for 2014 though!) but had a great time at a 2 day workshop run jointly by Chantry Dance Company and ilDance this Summer. Lovely people and would definitely recommend.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...