Elmhurst 2014 entry auditions

Karen

I've gone for bare feet for all 3 :) Elmhurst JA 's was bare feet so I have just assumed for the lower school audition would be bare feet but our teacher wouldn't mind taking some more if Tring was in shoes & tights x

Thank you D2003 we shall go bare!  Small details but could mean the difference of getting a yes to audition or not! BTW I have spoken with EH and I don't think the form will be out until at least the end of next week or early the week after.  We are still awaiting audition dates from Tring.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/parents/Fees2011-12.pdf

Can only see the fees for 2011-12, hope the link works. Might be worth contacting bursar or finance office to see if info has been updated.

Hairbelles, to my knowledge in previous years the graduates without contracts have always been welcome to take part in the sixth form classes whilst they searched for jobs. This year there seems to have been a change and they advertised just two positions, with the graduates having to take administration/pastoral roles within the school in exchange for the lessons. As the two positions were advertised on the website I assume they were open to graduates from any school.

• Like 2

I don't think the post grad course is new. I remember reading about it when I first started researching 6th form options for DD 3-4 years ago. It certainly is more noticeable on the 'new' website though as the information used to be tagged on at the end of the 6th form information section.

• Like 1

I think maybe I misunderstood about post grad course. I am talking about those that have completed the third year of sixth form then returning to the school the following academic year for lessons whilst they try to get a contract. These are the positions that are now being restricted to three places which the students have to apply for formally.

I think maybe I misunderstood about post grad course. I am talking about those that have completed the third year of sixth form then returning to the school the following academic year for lessons whilst they try to get a contract. These are the positions that are now being restricted to three places which the students have to apply for formally.

I'm sorry but I don't understand... What do you mean by the third year of sixth form? I thought 6th form was only 2 years?! Can someone enlighten me?

Hello,

I read somewhere that the fees for Elmhurst are £27,000 a year this year, which for those who earn over £70,000 is full fees, even with a DaDA!  Let's face it even if you do earn over £70,000, you are paying 40% tax, so taking home £40k and clearly unable to afford £27k!

Maybe that is why they did extra auditions in the summer to fill the places, with the rich students.  After all who of us has £81k plus the travel, ballet wear, etc. spare over the next three years.

Full fees at ENB were £17,000 this year. 

Central and Rambert will have everyone queing around the block for the bargain £9k degree loans!

Scary times.

• Like 5

I agree with you balletmadmum, and in addition to a student loan, excellent training, a good graduation list plus a BA Honours degree, it will be even harder to get into these two schools. I really do feel for our future dancers. I also believe that schools that can't fill their places will have to look outside our country more so. Schools as you all know don't run on fresh air.

• Like 1

Yes but I don't understand this particular BA Honours degree!! You say the first year is as well as doing A levels and then after another year they are awarded an Honours degree. So that's only two years to get this degree and I can hardly think that the first year if they are also doing A levels will be able to be that demanding!

If you went to Uni to get any other Arts degree this would be at least three years study POST A level!!

It's not that I don't think Dance students work pretty hard but if this is as above I wouldn't think this degree would be as valid as other Arts BA Honours degrees.

• Like 1

It is frustrating that the BA course fees are £9k pa but eligible for student finance - so potentially within reach -but the dada courses are over £17k pa if a family is over the magic £70k income level and so completely out of reach for most people (acknowledging that getting a dada doesn't necessarily make it affordable either). I dont know how they justify charging twice the amount as the BA schools.

Sorry LinMN, it is three years. After two years if all course work is passed you get a foundation degree, third and final year just like at university is for the BA, so three years in total. At central if a student wants to then they can also do A levels but I think the subjects are limited, it depends on the demand for that subject.

• Like 1

From a financial point of view maybe, but what about all the students who find it hard to cope with Gcse's .... Tulip correct me if I was under the impression that to gain a place at Central they had to achieve 5 Gcse's ??

My dd would have really struggled on a degree course and was quite relieved when her academic school days had ended.

At my daughters college there are only 4 16yr olds on the dada strand so most of the 18 yr olds will have done Alevels already if they wanted to do them .... A dada funded Diploma level 6 can be topped up to a BA Hons with further year of long distance learning .

In the workplace I would have thought it would be the best dancer gets the job.

Sorry mods taking this thread completely off topic .

• Like 1

Except not all people doing these courses will end up dancing in a company even if that is the primary goal! So I suppose having the BA Honours degree as well could help in some other fields of work. If wanted to teach don't know whether this would count towards some of a teaching course or whether that would have tobe done on top anyway.