• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, for future reference, would anyone like to help flesh the schedule out a bit? I'll do what I've picked up on, but it's not much:

10.30 Daily Class - including interviews with Jonathan Cope and Kristen McNally

11.35 Wayne McGregor interview

12.00 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland rehearsal - Stix-Brunell, Campbell and ??? doing the tea party scene

12.30 Dancers interview - Stix-Brunell, Choe, ???

13.05 Monica Mason interview

13:20 Prince of the Pagodas rehearsal - Nunez

13.50 Marianela Nuñez interview

13.55 Barry Wordsworth and Rob Clark interview

14.00 Polyphonia rehearsal - both casts?

14.30 Dancers interview

15.15 Street Stories - education project with East London dance students

16.10 Romeo and Juliet rehearsal - swordfighting, Watson & Avis

16.50 Dancers Interview

17.00 New Liam Scarlett ballet rehearsal - Cope, Soares

17.30 Liam Scarlett interview - surely he didn't get an hour?!

18.30 Carbon Life - including interviews with Wayne McGregor and Mark Ronson (Insights Public Event) - Watson, Cowley

A fascinating day which got better, quality improved when I switched from the ROH to Guardian website.

A couple of things I remember:

Alice rehearsal included Liam Scarlett

Carbon Life had a pdd with Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae before Watson/Cowley

The highlights for me were Cope/Soares rehearsing Sweet Violets, and Watson/Cowley in Carbon Life, I bet those dancers have acquired some new fans!

I would love to see bits of this that I missed yesterday....e.g. the full Polyphonia rehearsal, the new Scarlett rehearsal, the new McGregor rehearsal, the second part of company class.....can someone let me know if this can be done, and if so, how? I wonder if they will make a 'highlights' video of the day and put it on their YouTube site. That would be good :)

So, for future reference, would anyone like to help flesh the schedule out a bit? I'll do what I've picked up on, but it's not much:

10.30 Daily Class - including interviews with Jonathan Cope and Kristen McNally

11.35 Wayne McGregor interview

12.00 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland rehearsal - Stix-Brunell, Campbell and ??? doing the tea party scene

12.30 Dancers interview - Stix-Brunell, Choe, ???

13.05 Monica Mason interview

13:20 Prince of the Pagodas rehearsal - Nunez

13.50 Marianela Nuñez interview

13.55 Barry Wordsworth and Rob Clark interview

14.00 Polyphonia rehearsal - both casts?

14.30 Dancers interview

15.15 Street Stories - education project with East London dance students

16.10 Romeo and Juliet rehearsal - swordfighting, Watson & Avis

16.50 Dancers Interview

17.00 New Liam Scarlett ballet rehearsal - Cope, Soares

17.30 Liam Scarlett interview - surely he didn't get an hour?!

18.30 Carbon Life - including interviews with Wayne McGregor and Mark Ronson (Insights Public Event) - Watson, Cowley

12noon - James Hay was Doormouse, Liam Scarlett March Hare

14.00 - certainly looked like both casts, though with injured from original casting, can't be ceratin

17.30 - interview was 10-15 mins, then they started some highlights from throughout the day, until the McGregot bit (which I missed, as had to leave to go to the Coliseum)

@Sim - I think the plan is to put some highlights on their Youtube channel - though what, and how much of each, I can't guess

• Like 1

Sim: If you scroll back your Twitter timeline (I think that's right), you'll find that the ROH said several times through the day that there would be highlights put on YouTube, and I believe I've seen that the chap concerned at the Garden starts on the editing today. I'm sure that Lee will have all the details! (As a by-product of the day, I think I've discovered who formerly mysterious personages like @damegrace are.)

I'm with John on his questions as to the longer-term effect of the day at Post 36. For those of us with an interest, it was fascinating - for most practical purposes, I did little else all day - but my conclusion from the stream of comments from Google/Facebook/Twitter running alongside was that hundreds of others had found the live-stream and appeared to be watching in varying degrees of bafflement, whilst making extravagant comments that are unlikely to translate into becoming involved. I hope that I'm wrong. But it was an extraordinary day, I must say.

• Like 1

I loved the parts I managed to watch. I've been fortunate enough to see a company class live in Clore before and as expected, that was my favourite part of the day. I find Olga a fascinating teacher and it's strangely inspiring to see Principals being given corrections. :-)

I can't help thinking that if the ROH had advertised the day on a site like digital Spy, they may have pulled in some more viewers who weren't already interested in ballet.

Hi everyone,

I started watching this yesterday during my morning coffee break. I thought it was fascinating, and dipped in and out all day. I didn't mind the interviewer too much. I don't know him, or anything about him, but I thought he didn't do a bad job.

The funniest thing was when he interviewed Leanne Benjamin, and asked her not to stand too far back, as it made him look even bigger. He was huge.

And watching Marianela Nunez rehearsing was worth my having to sit and complete the work I missed yesterday.

I enjoyed watching it. I especially liked the rehearsal for the sword fighting scene from R & J. Some time ago a member of the Ballet.co forum - who was an instructor in fencing - gave a fascinating description of what goes into staging such a scene. So, I enjoyed watching this rehearsal with his remarks still in my head.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to watch all of it by any means but a lot of it is not 'live' or new material for instance the intervew which is on now and who is the man acting as interviewer? Or dear!

Having seen more of 'Alice' I am sorry to say that I do not think this is a serious addition to the RB reprtore. Fun maybe, good for children maybe, but up there with Giselle, Swan Lake, R&J etc, not really

Well, I am sure that 'Alice' never set out to compete with Macmillan or Petipa. It is a joyous, colourful and entertaining production for children and the young in heart, and if it entices children into the ROH to watch the RB, that can only bode well for tomorrow's audiences.

None of the Ballet critics (except M.Moynahan) likes "Alice". Neither do I but I do accept it fills the coffers of the ROH and brings children into the ROH. In that it succeeds. It's not a Ballet, it's a show and as a show it's entertaining and visually interesting. I can't imagine the dancers enjoying it as much as the audience does. There is little dancing in it for them except being sprayed pink to play Flamingo or walking under a caterpillar or being covered up in black to puppeteer a cat instead of dancing.

None of the Ballet critics (except M.Moynahan) likes "Alice". Neither do I but I do accept it fills the coffers of the ROH and brings children into the ROH. In that it succeeds. It's not a Ballet, it's a show and as a show it's entertaining and visually interesting. I can't imagine the dancers enjoying it as much as the audience does. There is little dancing in it for them except being sprayed pink to play Flamingo or walking under a caterpillar or being covered up in black to puppeteer a cat instead of dancing.

Yes, I agree that it helps to fill the coffers which must be a good thing, and brings children into the ROH. Also a good thing. But it is a show and however entertaining I personally don't think it fits well into the RB repertoire. Still I don't have to see it again do I?

I have always said, since seeing it last year, this show is not for a company like the RB. I want to see Ballet at the ROH not a West-End/Broadway show. Just like you: I don't want to see it again! I really feel for the dancers and it saddened me to see only their legs used underneath a caterpillar or bodies covered up to puppeteer and to be sprayed pink to appear as a Flamingo for just a few minutes. Such a waste of their talent!

• Like 1

So was The Nutcracker and Romeo and Juliet and...

Indeed Janet, variety is the spice of life and there is something out there for everyone's taste I guess. If the money they make out of that "Alice" show is used to create gorgeous New Work by Liam Scarlett and showing interesting Triple Bills... so be it.

I haven't seen Alice, and I have to say that from the bit I did see yesterday, I won't be rushing to buy a ticket. However, it is good that it seems to be popular and is bringing in the money. Also, I should think professional dancers might quite like a change from yet another Nutcracker or Swan Lake, even if it is dressed as a pink flamingo.

• Like 1

I've just watched it again, and words almost fail me in trying to say how impressive I find Liam Scarlett's handling of this rehearsal. I seem to recall saying on first viewing of "Asphodel Meadows" that we ought to be careful in not overloading him with praise but, recalling the reviews for "Viscera" in Miami earlier this year, and adding what we see here, we are surely seeing the emergence of a very significant talent indeed.

• Like 1

Having had to work on Friday, I only caught the rerun of class and Alice. Nice to see bits appearing on youtube.

Overall, a great initiative, and even if not appealing to the complete non-ballet goer, will cetainly stimulate those who come occasionally, and those who haven't been for a while, I think.

In passing, I am no expert, but Alexander Campbell's tendus from fifth (in class) looked technically perfect to me: shame they are now on the cutting room floor!

I'm devastated - I was only able to watch a for a limited time on Friday and managed to catch the daily class and whole of Scarlett rehearsing his new piece, but missed a lot of the rest, esp. Marinela being interviewed and the 'Pagodas' rehearsal; now I can't get into the missed pieces even though they're stil listed. Is this just some tiresome quirk of my system, or is this how it's meant to be?

And who is 'George Lamb' anyway? (was stunned when he had to ask who 'this Kenneth MacMillan' was!).

George Lamb is a TV (mainly of the reality variety) and radio presenter. He's got an entry on Wikipedia that gives more detail if anyone cares to look him up. I only saw bits and pieces of the day - it looked good though.

Perhaps he was invited to present the day in the hopes of attracting some fans of reality television.