Paul Hamlyn Foundation

A mini-discussion on the Doing Dance forum has made me wonder if the Hamlyn tickets are still available at the ROH. Perhaps someone will know. I've used up my allocation but the information may be useful to someone else!

We attended a Paul Hamlyn performance a few years ago. After the performance, by the doors there were tables with leaflets on asking for feedback - "Was this your first performance? What did you think? Would you come to see something again?" etc. If you sent the form back you could gain free membership of the Hamlyn Club, I think it was called. This enabled you to get very highly subsidised tickets for further performances for both ballet and opera over the next, I think, three years. You could see six performances a year of all types of productions (I'm a little hazy on the details here!) There were a block of seats that were reserved for Hamlyn Club members, though there weren't many seats, perhaps 12 or 20. I found it very difficult to negotiate my way round the ROH website in order to gain access to the Hamlyn tickets, and in fact in the end I had to email them to ask how to do it. But they were there, and I went to the ROH lots of times, seeing things I never would have planned to see, or could have afforded to see!

• Like 1

I had a look at the Paul Hamlyn Foundation website yesterday and couldn't find any info on this. I am wondering if these performances morphed into the ROH "Family performances" whereby if you had never booked tickets to see a regular performance at the ROH, you could apply. Tickets were usually around 25% of the usual price and you could see one ballet and one opera.

We were lucky enough to see Alina and Johan in Giselle, and a few months later, we saw La Boheme. Both times, front row seats in the Grand Tier were £25 each! Programmes were cheaper too as were ice creams. :-)

The best part though was the opportunity to attend pre-booked free activities pre-performance - we got to watch the RB in class in Clore, and take part in a pre-opera workshop.

The Family Performances stopped for a couple of years but I believe they are back in similar form - now called "Welcome Performances": http://www.roh.org.uk/discover/education/familyevents/welcome.aspx

We are no longer eligible, sadly, but if as a family you have never attended a performance at ROH, then it would be well worth applying.

The Hamlyn Club tickets were never exactly publicised, although the Hamlyn Performances were. To get the Hamlyn Club seats you had access to a different area of the ROH website. I'm referring to five years ago now, so things might have changed. From what I remember, the Hamlyn Club tickets were less than £20 in the £55+ seats, perhaps even £12. The original Hamlyn Performance tickets came through DD's primary school. I could be misremembering this, so I'd be interested to know what the current set-up is, if any!

• Like 1