School of American Ballet

balletla

Just saw this link on Facebook:

http://sab.org/winterterm/admission/auditions_for_11_to_18_year_olds.php

Find it fascinating that auditions are on 3 September and if successful, you are expected to start the NEXT DAY on the 4 September. Doesn't give you much time to prepare. Have I missed something?

Also interesting that you are expected to have previous ballet experience at 11, unlike RBS.

• Like 1

Wow, they decide after a one hour audition? That's it? No second audition. Does seem bit crazy. And the timing of the audition makes it impossible for a UK student to apply alongside the uk schools as all our auditions are at the start of the year. And summer school is out due to the June start :( My son would love to apply for upper school but it will be very tricky. Anyone know anyone who has done it?

My dd is 11 and has been on pointe since December (10 min a week). She packed her pointe shoes but I don't think they will use them. If they do, I trust the staff in Elmhurst to know that, at 11, she is a beginner. But she was so proud to take them with her that she even took her old and new pairs!

• Like 2

Mine did want to take them, but to be honest they weren't ready to take either, we only bought them on Saturday and I've darned one but not the other, her old ones are to small, her feet seem to have had quite a growth spurt over the holidays. Think my dd might have meet yours afab :)

• Like 1

Yes Pas de Chat, slow and steady is right. DD3 (the one at Elmhurst now) will be doing about 30 minutes a week next year. Her sister (DD2) who will be 14 in October will do between 3 and 3.5 hours a week though next year... Slow and steady but increasing quite a lot over the years... But the girls who don't plan on becoming professionals will do less than half the amount DD2 will do.

• Like 2