Elmhurst junior summer school

Karen

She's 12 - going in to yr 8. Dd says she doesn't know anyone from previous experiences, but is getting to know people in the group. I am struggling to read the pic of tomorrow's timetable, but it looks as though all the groups start with ballet. Apparently it's jazz on Friday- wish we had been advised to pack jazz shoes!

Love your typo picturesinthefirelight - can't imagine dd being selected for the sane group!!

• Like 1

No idea what group DD is in as she has gone dark for 48 hrs.  Most of the girls in Mortimer seemed quite young although I noticed a few girls with pointe shoes which DD does not have yet.  She will be even more desperate for them!!

Are we sitting in their classes on Friday then or going into a hall to watch them all?  I forgot to ask as it was all a bit busy!

Are we sitting in their classes on Friday then or going into a hall to watch them all? I forgot to ask as it was all a bit busy!

If it's the same as for the senior SS, we go and watch them dance in the theatre then get them back in the foyer and finally go to their rooms to get their things.

Think my daughter might be in your group Karen as she is doing mazurka too and I am sure she said she is in F. She reckons they will be on second to last as they are going through in order so that makes some sense! I too would have loved to watch her do ballet but nevermind!

DD had a wonderful time at the SS and has come away completely buzzing!!   The performances were of a very high standard for just two days rehearsal.   DDs group looked like one of the youngest I think they were fourth from the last doing a classical section.  I particularly loved the Spanish dance there were some really talented girls in this dance and the finale was great.

• Like 4

The performance was very good and it was really impressive to see how much was learned in such a short space of time. I was also pleased to see Robert Parker's engagement and enthusiasm and the organisation was efficient and professional. All credit to Elmhurst, I think. Dd would be very happy to return.

• Like 5

Amazing time as always at Elmhurst... RP was very sincere and the staff very warm and welcoming ;) dd had a super time and enjoyed being with her EYB buddies again!!!

Lovely to catch up with forum friend (sorry afab I did look for you) and a big thank you to peach for helping out lovely to see you and your girls, your smaller dd is a delight ;)

Cx

• Like 6

I particularly loved the Spanish dance there were some really talented girls in this dance and the finale was great.

So did I Pas de Chat but I was slightly biased as this was DD's group ,she had a choice of that or the Scottish dance but she said that was too fast.

This SS had a great atmosphere Robert Parker and staff where very enthusiastic and DD had a good time . I'm sure its one she will want to do next year.

It was lovely to see both you and your DD Charlie4dancin looking so happy and well, I was wondering if you ever found Afab .

• Like 2

Hi all dd have a lovely time and came back buzzing too - met loads of friends and enjoyed the teaching and the food! This was her first time at a  residential  so perfect for a first time, , although we can't compare it with anything else so difficult to see if it was better, worst or the same  as others.

Enjoyed watching the show, meeting the teachers and RP's informative and informal style of presenting to the audience of  parents - I liked the way her described it as "not" a performance but a "sharing" of the work they had done.

The staff and RP as though they has genuinely  enjoyed working with the younger group and  spoke of  another one next year. - lets hope its a bit  longer.

Lovely  to meet  afab and her dd - hope your journey home was good.

Now begins the week of the first school term and all the chaos that goes with it... I've loved the holidays so not really looking forward to the "busy" dancing schedule  again but i'm sure it won't take long to get back into it, and the summer will seem a long time ago...

• Like 3

My DD also enjoyed the summer school. She loved being at Elmhurst and enjoyed the classes, however did find the ballet class very simple.

Was a pity they weren't organised by grade/ability rather than alphabetically and although I enjoyed the show I felt that ALL the girls and boys should have been given the same chance to show off their ballet rather than some having to do Jazz(??) and Contemporary (??). 

I also felt that Robert Parker came over very well and was very positive and enthusiastic about the summer school.

Was lovely to meet you afab!

• Like 3

DD3 loved her time at Elmhurst. I was unsure about how it would go but everything was fine. She made lots of friends and really enjoyed the dance. She can't wait to go back and would like it to be longer next time!

The trip back was difficult as the Eurotunnel had problems that evening and only one tunnel was open but we got there eventually...

It was really lovely meeting you Dancingmuppet, Balletdogs and Loulabelle. What a pleasure to put a face to some names! I'm sorry I missed you Charlie4dancin... Next time I hope...

• Like 3