Profile of Matthew Golding

Thanks so for putting this together, Katherine.  I love the very brief interviews with both Golding and Reilly filmed in St. Petersburg.  They just come over as such nice, down to earth people (e.g., wholesome Canadian lads) and - if one is allowed to say it - refreshingly normal unlike so many others in those similar mini-presentations one sees posted about (no names mentioned of course) ... , (No wonder a healthy Canadian woman like Ms. Rojo wants to snog them.)  Blessedly each comes across as being sincerely humble (not pretentiously so).  I personally find that most endearing.  I'm not one always so taken with all this Russian angst.  Too many examples of that in the news nowadays (does Putin ever grin apart from when riding stallions or slopes?) and I'm not entirely sure I believe in it anyway.  (Sometimes it just seems to be an easier option.  Surely these Russians have got to change their knobs sometime; to switch channels; to get out of the office for a breath of fresh air; to smell the roses - and not just the ones presented to the ballerina no matter how sweet or copious.)  (The joy-filled element in Vasiliev's short interview with the Telegraph made all the difference for me.  It was just SO meaningful on reflection.  He's so full of life as opposed to Slavic doom; that gloom so favoured by a goodly number of his fellow Russian artists.).  Also they all - well ALL of these three lads (as opposed, say, to a certain three sisters) - seem to be able to smile openly both in private as well as in public.  That's great too.  More strength to their mighty arms .... and feet :)

Oh, and I want to go to Jason's bar when he comes to open it .... Sounds like it will be a cool spot.  

Again, thank you KATHERINE for ALL. 

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

I knew NOTHING about Matthew Golding(had vaguely heard of his name) until I came on this Forum and having seen the above clips think he looks wonderful.

Am very tempted by the programme in Amsterdam next May!! So will try to get on your mailing list.

Also looking at the clips of Wheeldons Cinderella....on your other thread....this looks to be well worth catching too. Does only the Dutch National Ballet do this particular version do you know? Thanks, Linda

Just to say I think he would be a perfect match for Osipova too!!

So that's Vasiliev, Lantratov, Golding......and I'm sure Watson as well....perhaps they could all guest for a short time each!! Though sorry this is the wrong thread for that.

Now I know this going to be annoying....so sorry in advance...but if you imagine Golding with blonde hair I think he does have the look of Paul Clarke....of the old Festival Ballet in the 70's....somewhat useless observation really unless you are ancient like me but like my partner R would say "you just can't help yourself can you!!"

Also looking at the clips of Wheeldons Cinderella....on your other thread....this looks to be well worth catching too. Does only the Dutch National Ballet do this particular version do you know? Thanks, Linda

It was a co-production with San Francisco I think.