3/4 shank pointe shoes

dancingmuppet

My dd has just had her 2nd pair of pointe shoes fitted today (her dad took her, so I wasn't able to ask questions!). She has been fitted with a 3/4 length shank, not really having heard of this before I googled it and it would seem that they are better for more advanced dancers? She has only been on pointe since January and has grown out of her old shoes rather than breaking them, she does about 10 minutes a week although this will gradually increase over the next year. Will a 3/4 length shank give her enough support at the moment or would a full shank be better? I will ask her teacher when she gets back from holiday.

Thanks in advance :)

I agree, asking her teacher is a good idea, especially as your dd has been on pointe for only a few months, and maybe don't sew the ribbons on until the teacher has approved them.

Also, perhaps you could call the shop and ask to speak to the fitter? 3/4 shank shoes tend to suit a particular shape of foot, the fitter would be able to advise you on that.

I have only ever heard of the 3/4 shanks as being used by professionals. Someone suggested them for a pupil with a very high arch who breaks her shoes all the time, but I have never heard of their being used for near beginners! Do not sew on the ribbons, wait and let your daughter show her teacher first and I would phone the shop, not just to find out why the fitter recommended them, but also to let them know that you may have to exchange them if the teacher does not approve, and that it won't be immediately as the teacher is away.

Definitely ask her teacher, especially as she's so new to pointe, but on the subject of 3/4 shanks I have to say I love them. I dance as a hobby but 8 hours-ish a week and have been on pointe since about 16 (now 24) and my most recent pair (Gamba 3/4 shanks) are my favourites I've ever had. Because I don't have a very flexible ankle or high arch - only just flexible enough to allow me to do pointework - they are the first pair that it didn't take me about 6 months to break in and I can easily feel like I'm right on top of them. But my feet are of a strong construction and I am used to pointework.

My dd was fitted with 3/4 shank Grishkos (not her current pair, the ones before those). She has high arches and goes through pointe shoes in a few weeks normally. These were supposedly good for her type of foot but she broke one pair in two wears and the other pair in around 4 weeks (I do think the first pair must have been faulty though). They looked beautiful on her feet but she felt unsupported so she has gone back to a sturdy pair of full shank Blochs. Just waiting to see how long into the first term before I'm buying more!

This is odd because my DD's first pointe shoes were 3/4 shank. We were told to get them as apparently she wasn't strong enough to break in a full shank at the time. They were Suffolk Spotlights but I never got any more after that as in my opinion they were way too wide for her.