Coincidence... or psychic?

taxi4ballet

I was humming a tune this morning as I got in the car - and was flabbergasted to switch the car radio on and find the very same thing playing!

Strange coincidences / deja-vu / premonitions seem to happen to me all the time... 

Is it just me, or do they happen to you folks as well?

• Like 3

Likewise Ribbons and Taxi - I have noticed this phenomenom from time to time.  I don't have any other powers either and certainly haven't won anything on the lottery!

Actually I had a really bizarre experience a couple of months ago.  You will all have realised that I got an early escape from work (nearly 2 years ago now!).  On my final project I worked with a contractor but hadn't seen or even spoken to him for some months before I left work.  When these incidents happened it was two years since I had had any contact.  Anyway I awoke with the remains of a nightmare in my mind - I was running away from Steve.  He was running after me trying to give me a bouquet that I didn't want.  I thought it was bizarre that I dreamed about someone I hadn't thought about in 2 years.

He was not Liverpool based so imagine my shock when I was just getting in my car in Liverpool a couple of days after the nightmare and I saw him walking past!  It turned out he was in Liverpool for one day for a meeting.  How spooky is that!

• Like 2

Love your Paul Coelho quote Janet(just ran out of likes for mo)

I have had the phone call thing....thinking I must ring so and so havent heard for ages then going to do it and they ring first!

Also when with partner Richard (just coming up to 28yrs!) we have been in the car silent for some time and then gone to talk about the same thing or they start talking about something you have been thinking about(not part of any ongoing discussion)

I say "they" because it used to happen with my mum so maybe some things happen in a synchronistic sort of way with people you know really well.

However these spooky things don't happen THAT often as Dave says.

For example for some years now on and off I'd been thinking of a particular childhood friend a lot and wondering where she was now what she would look like and so on and every so often had looked on Facebook...but under maiden name....even looked for her brother with no luck etc. I have a delightful picture of the three of us in my back garden with my then dog Spot me and her wearing berets.....we're they fashionable in the fifties?!

Anyway I left a comment about 8 months ago on a Byfleet history type Forum mentioning places and people I knew including this brother and sister and last month someone replied.

This child hood friend had unfortunately died young in her forties which means over twenty years ago now but I had definitely been thinking of her as in the present as if still alive so my psychic powers woefully lacking there!!

I'm always bumping into unlikely people...

In Corfu - the tour rep went to my school and her brother was in my class.

This year we went to a holiday park and I got chatting to an elderly couple one afternoon. He was born in a house at the end of our road.

At a job interview - the woman interviewing me had a ballet-dancing daughter who moved to dd's dance school the week we left.

Event in Surrey - we got talking to a Rod Stewart impersonator, to happened to live in the same village as my sister-in-law (in Worcestershire).

I was chatting to the husband of a new friend, and mentioned that I worked at a stables one summer about twenty years previously. He remembered that summer well - he was renovating a property up the road from the stables, and they used to wolf-whistle at the girls riding by.

As a child, we went to a holiday camp (a journey of several hundred miles) and went into the cafe as soon as we arrived. The people we sat next to had also just arrived - they lived just up the road from us.

• Like 2

A few months ago I was at work and actually quite busy when I started feeling really odd and unsettled. I sent a text to dh asking if he was ok and saying how I felt. Got text back saying don't be stupid everythings fine then about an hour later we heard dd had been rushed to hospital with paralysis down one side. At first they thought she had had a stroke but luckily turned out to be a very severe migraine. Dh was most unnerved by my text then. Btw my user name was not chosen because of any claim to psychic power - was watching an episode of the x-files at the time of registering on the old site many years ago.

edited to correct spelling

Edited by spooky
  • Like 1

My mum was definitely more of a psychic than myself.

She would get odd premonitions and often dreamt about people which had some sort of direct relevance.....including myself on one occasion. She dreamt I was unwell and she needed to contact me urgently. The next day she acted upon this, as the dream had been so strong, to find I had been taken to hospital with Glandular Fever the day before!! A bit on the spooky side.

Life can be really wierd sometimes. Coincidences happen that really set you scratching your head in wonderment!    I met up with a childhood friend on holiday recently. We have not seen each other for 50 years and yet our paths in life have criss-crossed quite a lot.  In casual conversation, she mentioned the name of a really good friend of hers and it turned out to be someone who had been Principal Boy in panto when I had played the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella.  When I got back home I found my "memory book" in which I had asked people I had worked with to write a message.  There was the message she wrote to me in 1969!  I sent it to my friend who forwarded it on to her - talk about a blast from the past!

Edited by Dance*is*life

once, I got home from dancing, and the first thing my stepdad asked me was "Did you fall over?!" It was the first time he had ever asked me that- and about the first time that year that I had, in fact, slipped straight onto my bum (during a simple couru enchainement en pointe! I shall blame it on the very slippy floor....)!!!!! ;)

• Like 2

Something weird happened to me that I have never forgotten. It was when I was a dancer at the Moulin Rouge in 1987.There was one particular male dancer at the Moulin us newcomers had all been warned about. A real womaniser. He was often slagged off by us all in our dressing rooms. On one night when it was my night off work [my weekly night off was Saturday], I was fast asleep and I dreamed about him. I never normally remember any traces of my dreams at all. For some reason in my dream, I suddenly thought of this male dancer, and straight away, in my dream thought huh him , he`s such a low life,fancy thinking about him. But almost immediately, again in my dream, I suddenly felt sorry for him. I thought it was a bit sad he was "labelled " by all us girls the way he was, and maybe he was actually quite decent if you got to know him. I woke up, and remembered my dream, thinking nothing more of it. I arrived into work the following night to be told this dancer, after the show the previous night, was waiting outside the Moulin for a taxi home when he literally dropped dead on the floor. He was 28.Turned out he had had a massive heart attack .I have no idea what time he died at, or if the time coincided with me dreaming of him. But all the same, it was kind of spooky; especially seeing as I don`t think I had ever spoken as much as two sentences to him.

• Like 2

That is definitely a bit psychic!! Perhaps he had always wanted to be perceived differently and sensed somehow you were likely to be the most receptive hence the spiritly contact!! Not that I'm a believer in these things at least not in the religious sense but there are many things we don't know about the brain and its functions and how we connect to people.

• Like 2

When my late father was a small child, he woke up in the middle of the night and saw his grandfather at the foot of the bed. His grandad said "It's all right, it's only me - go back to sleep".

My dad told his mum in the morning... and was told that his grandad had died in the night. 

• Like 3

I have had many "coincidences" through my life- many of them "interesting" but a couple of them truly life altering - even life saving.

But the one that truly stands out in my mind....

I drove to a nearby lake to ride around a trail on my bicycle (heavy duty Schwinn roadster, single gear balloon tires).  It was the middle of the week, a very warm bright sunny day and because of the heat - very few people.   

After my bike ride was done I returned to my car which was still the only car about - except for a couple of others - at some distance across a large empty car park.  I lifted my bike onto the rack attached to the back bumper of my car.  Got into the car, put seat belt on, turned on the ignition, and put the gear into reverse - all of this taking no more than mere moments.  I checked all around me - side mirrors, rear view mirror, turning my body around to make sure there was no traffic of any kind.  Nope - no one, nothing -  the ground was flat - the sun was bright - no one  around but me.

Then I stepped on the gas pedal to back up - and couldn't.  Somehow - for some reason - I just couldn't press down on the gas pedal.  It wasn't that I physically couldn't - I mentally couldn't make my foot depress the gas pedal.  I looked around again - no one - nothing was in view - no cars -- no people - but still - I couldn't press on that gas pedal.

Then I hear a young boy's voice screaming:  "Oh no!!  Angie - stop!!!  Oh no!!  Angie!!  Angie!!"

Then he comes running - literally from no where - and pulls a tiny little girl from behind the bumper of my car.  She was so tiny there is no way I could have seen her.

But where oh where did she come from? 

And what stopped me from pressing on that gas pedal?

When i realized the enormity of what had almost happened....I literally collapsed in shock over the steering wheel of my car.  It was a while before I could summon the strength to put the car in motion and go home.

Was it also a coincidence her name was Angie?

Well, Angie - wherever you are - I wish you a happy long life.

• Like 5

Another literal life-saver... a former colleague went on a camping holiday in the south of France. She and the family drove all the way there, it was very late in the evening and they were exhausted. As they arrived at the campsite, she suddenly said that there was no way they could possibly stay there, they had to find somewhere else.

It was getting dark, raining, the three children were tired and tearful and her husband was really cheesed off, but there was no persuading her, she was adamant, but couldn't explain her reasoning.

They eventually found another site, pitched the tent, and had a sleepless night as the rain turned to raging thunderstorms. 

In the morning, to their horror, they learned that their original campsite had been hit by a flash flood in the night, much of it had been washed away and people had lost their lives. 

• Like 3

My mum had a similar dream Taxi4ballet....when her brother was killed in action during ww2 He appeared to her in a dream...in the dream there was a knock on the door and she got up to let him in the house. He did say something but Ive forgotten this now. Anyway they learnt later that he had died the night mum had the dream.....not her only spooky dream!

• Like 1

When I was a teenager I had a regular babysitting job and the family had a beautiful St Bernard dog. One evening I was due to sit for them and as I approached their house, "the dog's dead" just popped into my head. Sadly I was right, he had managed to get off his lead, run into the road and been hit by a car :-(