Loosing the top of pointe shoes ready for darning

Oldermum

Anyone any handy tips to loosen the satin on the toe of the pointe shoe. My dd has just got her new pointe shoes and I've never had any that I've found so tight that I'm struggling to get the needle in to darn. Thanks in advance.

Wearing socks over the top, I work in mine at home (just basic barre- rises, releves etc) and that helps. I still use pliers to shove the needle through though!!! I find some pointe shoes are easier to darn than others- I did a pair of Suffolks in less than an hour, whereas my Capezio ones were really tough, and took much longer. Good luck!!! ;)

I always used Capezio's and darned every pair I ever owned.  I darned right on top of the satin.  I found a thimble was absolutely essential. 

I darned around the edge first, like an outline, and then backstitched to cover the entire platform.  Then I made X's on top of the back stitches..

Because I never cut the satin it never frayed around the edges.

Remember the idea is not to be neat or beautiful - but to give traction.

I remember doing 6 pairs at a time - usually waiting around in rehearsal or watching TV.   It didn't take that long when you get experienced doing it.

• Like 2

I've found that it helps if the shoes are worn in class once or twice before darning, as it loosens the satin enough to darn without too much bother. Don't let her use rosin though, as it gums up the needle and makes it (and your fingers) all sticky.

Also, someone mentioned to me that it's a good idea to make sure that your anti-tetanus jabs are up-to-date when darning shoes, because you can get an infection from dirt in the wound if your finger gets pricked.

• Like 1

I love darning shoes! I do a thick chain stitch round and round from the middle and then tidy it up around the edge with a blanket stitch! Only ever done Blochs and they are really tough but didn't occur to me to get her to wear them first as I would assume they could slip too easily?

Thanks everyone, I've darned pointe shoes for more years than I care to remember (I took my RAD pre-elementary and elementary back in the 70's and always did my own shoes). But I've never had a pair as hard to do as these. I've rubbed them in my hand, dd worn them round the house, I've even fed the needle under the satin and tried to move it around to loosen satin (something I've managed to do before on small areas) I always use a chain stitch and curved needle. The worst thing about this pair is - dd want to have a go herself. She'll just have to wear them a bit longer - we've still a full week to go. Her last pair I did in a hotel room one evening didn't take as long as it's taken me to go round one shoe just once.

• Like 1

Oldermum - Dd had one pair of Bloch Serenade that were just like you describe. Even using pliers to pull the needle through it took me about 10 times longer than any other pair and then to add insult to injury dd decided she didn't actually like them and they were hardly worn. Darned plenty of other shoes of all makes, including Bloch with no problems.

Hi Oldermum, I've just spotted this thread and have really taken heart from your comments on the difficulty in darning Freed's.  DD only ever wears Freed Studio Professionals - they're the only ones that she 'connects' with.  And I really thought I was being a bit of a 'woos' (i.e. weakling) when it came to darning them.

Each shoe takes me at least 3-4 evenings do and my finger tips are throbbing by the end of it - that's with a curved needle and a thimble.  But now that I realise those with far more experience at this than me find these particularly shoes 'challenging' I won't be so hard on myself.

Yes, she probably should do them herself - but I get cups of tea on request and a LOT of chores completed by her while I'm struggling so maybe I'll do a few more pairs before I had them over.......... ;)

• Like 2

Is it very wrong of me to say I've used the stick on patches that look like darning on my DD's pointe shoes????  :unsure:  ;)

Seriously question though...is there a specific benefit in darning them rather than using patches or is it more of a tradition thing?  I'm just waiting for a new pair to be delivered and I did buy darning cotton when DD got her first pair and have never used it....so depending on what you all think, this could be the perfect time to try it?

• Like 1

No, it's not wrong. :-)

The reason I darn now instead of using patches is that my dd likes the satin cut off and a ring of darning stitches right around the edge of the platform. Just personal choice I suppose and not something I can achieve with patches so that's what we do.

If the stick on patches work for you and the teacher has no objection to them then great. :-)

• Like 1