PAT testing of Dc's gadgets for vocational school use

Billyelliott

If you haven't bought the IPad yet then you might want to consider the model which allows a SIM card as well for Internet access.....but it will cost you!!

I've had this model for nearly a year now but still haven't put a SIM card in and have been relying on wifi but our phone company has just offered us a very good deal to do this so may consider it now!!

It does sound to me if some of these vocational schools are abit behind the times then where computers are concerned.

I know the focus is on ballet etc there but only being allowed access twice a week to the computer suite doesn't seem that good to me!!

There has been a big drive on computer literacy in schools in the last few years and by Year six most children have acquired pretty good skills. And there is of course no way of knowing how long children at vocational schools will be staying there and then may have to return to a local school. I'm not saying computers are the answer to everything but they are a very good additional aid in a number of subjects.

This is a difficult one for me and why....except in the case of having an obviously exceptionally talented child....I would prefer a child to stay at a good school locally and try for Ballet school at sixteen...sixth form level. But go to associate classes and summer schools to top up so to speak.

I know some think this will put a child at disadvantage as often vocational school students do well later on at being offered this sixth form training but I suppose it's a risk I would be prepared to take.

• Like 1

Us too Billly.....my DS had worked on his laptop at home from around year 5 and they used a maths learning website too. As i said my older daughter who is at a grammar school, does nearly all of her homework on her laptop and gas done since yr 7.

We have also upgraded to an iPad for DS, the iPod was traded in and it's birthday and Xmas pressie. I think it's down to personal choice myself! But he stores all if his music, and uses some great learning apps on it. He also likes creating music videos and writing songs, which he does on the iPad! I'm sure your DS will look after his gadgets. ????