ROH Romeo and Juliet October 2013

I was unable to access the internet when tickets for the Osipova/Acosta performances came on sale for Romeo and Juliet this autumn I was just wondering if anyone on the boards has managed to secure tickets and if anyone has experience of booking restricted view tickets as advised in the FAQ? Do the ROH operate a waiting list policy for returns or is it literally pot luck and if you are lucky and call up on the day you will be able to purchase a ticket? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/romeo-and-juliet-by-kenneth-macmillan

Lartiste, there are no waiting lists for returns.  The best thing to do is keep an eye on the ROH website, and call the box office as often as you can, just to see if there are any returns.  This does work sometimes.  Your other option is to queue on the day for the few day seats they release.  For these two stars you'd have to get there early, as they go on sale at 10 a.m.  You can also post on this forum that you want a ticket (stating the date), and keep your fingers crossed!  Keep an eye open on our ticket exchange in case someone misses your request and puts up a ticket.

With regard to restricted view seats, it depends where they are.  There are quite a few seats in the house which are designated as restricted but are hardly restricted at all, and they are great value.  However, there are some seats where the view is terrible, such as the Lower Slips where you lose half the stage much of the time, or any seats near the stage on the side.  But some people don't mind this;  although they lose some view, they are very close to the action that they can see, so it's a trade-off!  It's really a matter of personal preference.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

John, thank you so much for this link.  I had no idea the facility existed.  By experience I know which seats to go for in the Upper Amphi, and I've often wondered what the view was like from those slip seats very close to the stage.

I'd agree with Sim: just keep looking at the ROH website any time you have a chance.  I managed to pick up a return for a sold-out R&J just a few weeks ago, so it can be done: it's just a matter of pot luck.

And posting here can't hurt, either.

• Like 1

If all else fails then you can also just turn up on the day and if you queue opposite the box office.....its usually a very orderly queue....from about 5.30-6.00pm onwards you can see if you can get a return from the General Public.

They bring any spare tickets they have to the front of the queue and the people from the box office also come over to the queue if they have something as well. You will have to pay cash for the tickets though at his point.

Whenever I have done this I have got in as high as 90 per cent of the time I would say.

If you were queuing for Osipova and Acosta though perhaps get there a little earlier. I am very lucky as have tickets for their December 7th performance but at a cost though.....Ive never spent so much on a theatre ticket before!!

Thank you to everyone for all your help. I'm going to pester the box office/post on the ticket exchange section of the website and if that doesn't work I will try queuing on the day. Also I wasn't aware the link to show the view from all of the seats existed so thank you very much for posting it John! However I do remember that there was a time when the seating plan for the ROH auditorium online was interactive so you could see the view from a seat in each section.

I do remember that there was a time when the seating plan for the ROH auditorium online was interactive so you could see the view from a seat in each section.

You can still see the view from empty seats by clicking on them whilst booking but there is no overall seat map with views that I can find. The link I gave looks like unfinished business (as so much else on the wonderful new website). 

However I do remember that there was a time when the seating plan for the ROH auditorium online was interactive so you could see the view from a seat in each section.

That came as part and parcel with the ticketing software they were using: you can still find the feature on the Royal Albert Hall website and, I suspect, the National Theatre one (and possibly the Birmingham Hippodrome one - I *think* that's the same software rather than just something very similar).  It's been applied less intelligently there, though, I think: with views from parallel seats on opposite sides of the auditorium being shown rather than a better mix, when we could all just use our brains and pretty much work out what, say, the view two seats in from the end of Row S on the left would be given that we know what the view two in from the end of the same row on the right is.

A few tip for returns which may only be superstition, but they've usually worked for me.

Returns can become available at any point, but there are more the closer the date of the performance is. I usually check the the website around 10.00-10.30 assuming that some return their by post and that's when the box office will start processing them. You're also more likely ot find a ticket closer to the performance.

For the day tickets, if you are unable to join the morning queue, the tickets are sold online once everyone who was there in person has bought their ticket, this is usually around 10.30, this is of course less likely to be possible for the most popular performances, the tickets available might not be the best. This is however how I've managed to get a ticket for Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg's farewell performance.

I've always been able to get tickets to what I wanted to see, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. I've just purchased a ticket in the ampitheatre online :) If anyone would like to purchase a ticket for the formerly sold out Acosta/ Osipova performances there are now a few tickets back on sale. So excited to see these two paired together again after I saw their swan lake performance last year!

Lartiste = so happy you got a ticket for the R&J you wanted. Determination pays off! Myself, I'm over the moon to have a ticket for 7 Dec Osipova/Acosta. I don't live in London but Macmillan R&J is a ballet I will spend serious money on, it's just my favourite ever ballet. I'm also seeing Watson/Hamilton and Nunez/Soares. Luckily I've been able to combine RB with matinees at Sadlers, to make my overnight stays very worthwhile.....! Thank you scheduling......I doubt ROH and Sadlers planned it, but it has worked a dream for me to add matinee Stuggart and Bourne Swan Lake the day after an evening RB Romeo and Juliet. :D 

• Like 2

Thanks nottsballetlover! And congratulations on getting a ticket! That sounds like an epic trip you have planned. I live outside of London too so I have a 600 mile round trip every time I travel to London to see a ballet or opera performance or take class-which is often! I can't wait to see Romeo and Juliet I watched the live broadcast I think in 2012 of Acosta/Cuthbertson which blew me away.

Glynedbourne are on tour this year so I plan to travel to London on 21st to see Romeo and Juliet and then to Milton Keynes on 22nd to see The Rape of Lucretia. Matthew Bourne will be visiting my local theatre in Newcastle so I hope to see Swan Lake live too as I have only ever seen a DVD performance. I have placed a ticket for the perfromance on my Christmas list!

• Like 2

Thanks for the link Janet! I haven't seen any advertisements for A Midsummer Night's Dream on my wanderings in Newcastle so that one completely passed me by, plus I've never seen Northern Ballet perform or a live performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream so it would be an ideal opportunity to do both. I have seen a recording of A Dream by ABT which was amazing

I do hope you get to see it lartiste, it is a wonderfully fun production.

David Nixon told us when he created this work in 2003 that his first principal role was as Oberon in Sir Frederick Ashton's Dream and he wanted to do something completely different as he could never compete with that!

• Like 1