Advanced 1

stardancer

Hi my dd did have the DVD ,but her friend has it and lost it,we have no luck but she has the cd and does practice with that.Altough her teacher does not like her to practice alone without a teacher present.When I think about it there is not much they do like they are backing us up in to a corner.I am at present looking for a school for extra lessons as well as this one and hope it will go down well.I phoned one teacher who loves my dds teacher and would love to have my dd for lessons.But she told me her friend will not allow this as my dds teacher feels she has all she needs for A young girl.I think I will go mad before I even talk to my dds teacher.god help my dd

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask if anyone knows the dates of when the exams for the old Advanced 1 & 2 has to be taken by and when the exams will start for the new syllabus? My Dd has recently taken the advanced 1 exam and as she's going to start the audition process in September, our current plan was  to take her time learning Advanced 2 so she could concentrate on the auditions plus her GCSE's so trying to work out the timing while weighing up keeping her on track with her peers bit not adding any extra pressure over the up-coming stressful year and keeping her from getting board if the time scales are too long.

Thank you

As far as I know the new Adv Foundation, Adv 1 and Adv 2 syllabus will be examined from January 2015 and therefore the last exams of the current syllabi will be in December 2014. If your DD is going into Y11 in September, then perhaps she is better off learning the current Adv 2 syllabus with the view that she may take the exam next year, after her GCSE exams and prior to starting at vocational school, if the timing works out? If she has the opportunity to learn the new Adv 2 syllabus as well, then that will be a bonus.

I wouldn't worry if she's not able to take the exam in time though. I believe that most if not all of the vocational schools have classes for students who wish to complete their RAD advanced exams. My student went to Elmhurst having taken Advanced 1 and he was prepared for Advanced 2 there.

Hi Stardancer,

What a shame! I can't imagine why a teacher would be against a talented child applying for an associate scheme. There are so many benefits to be gained from associates.

If I were you I would investigate them in any case. I know London Junior/Senior Ballet holds September auditions, and there will be a November audition for Tring's CBA. Not sure if either of those are within travelling distance for you but people travel from all over the country for associates. :-)

• Like 2

Thank you Spanerandpony I agree that's is why if she does decide to go to an associate class I will have no intention of telling her teacher.my child my business.Also do you no of any associates that do advanced level the senior ballet in London looks good.

My dds friend does the cat scheme,and loves it,she is in advanced 1 and when she goes there she is put on a intermediate foundation level/ intermediate.But I no she learn,s so many other things a local class doe's not offer.Do you no what there ballet academy is like there on a Saturday

Most associates seem tobe on a sunday ther than royal ballet. Graham fletcher associates in leicester are also auditioning in sept. Most associates dont do syllabus work but do have advanced levels. Northern ballet is the only ballet CAT, the others have contemproray focus so whilst excellent ,may not offer the level of ballet training you are after but if she is interested in becoing a teahcer - which i think was said above- a CAT would offer a great range of dance performance and creative opportunities.

Central also do RAD vocational classes on Saturday afternoon which Assoicates attend as well as outside students as my DD did Advanced 1 there. Brilliant class and brilliant teacher. At that time they would also have entered DD if. Wanted, it was quite a few years ago though!

Auditions for Northern ballet are over for this year, but there may still be places in the open classes, is this what you meant by Saturday classes? My dd hasn't done the Saturday open class but has done them on other days and has really benefited from them, they are very different to RAD, also at your dd's age she would be expected to attend at least twice a week regardless of what classes she does elsewhere.

The associate classes are labeled junior, intermediate foundation, intermediate and senior but this has nothing to do with the RAD grades, I think the children are grouped by age and how advanced they are, my dd at 11 is starting the inter foundation class in September but a friend of hers who is the same age is starting the junior associates.

Central also do RAD vocational classes on Saturday afternoon which Assoicates attend as well as outside students as my DD did Advanced 1 there. Brilliant class and brilliant teacher. At that time they would also have entered DD if. Wanted, it was quite a few years ago though!

Sadly these ended in July. :-(

Hi everyone my dds teacher text me to say she can not teach my dd next week as the other teacher says the studio is full next week.The funny thing is the school is closed till the 8th of sep.I have not told my dd yet as she gave up 2 summer schools and the intense lessons in London.I think they are trying to tell me something.They are very cruel when they are dealing with children very cruel indeed

Stardancer, it sounds as though the teachers are behaving very unprofessionally in so many ways - I am sure the RAD would be horrified if anyone thought this was typical of their teachers. I have to agree with your view that they are trying to tell you something. In the workplace this kind of behaviour would be seen as grounds for a claim of constructive dismissal.

Can you contact the RAD (I assume this is where she was to go for intensive lessons) and explain that your DD has been badly let down and ask whether in the circumstances she can still be fitted in for the intensive course? Even if not, you could ask whether any Adv 1 classes are being held in September, even if she can only get to a couple. You could also ask for confirmation of the RAD teachers in your area as there seems no question now that your DD will have to change schools. In addition, your DD could ask the other students on the intensive course/ HQ lessons where they train and for any recommendations (or the opposite!)

I assume no more has happened re the meeting with the teachers? Perhaps you could take the initiative (which often gives you the 'upper hand') in proposing a date for that meeting, once you have spoken to the RAD and, with luck, taken your DD to the intensive classes. It simply isn't ok for your DD to be used as an assistant teacher but not taught herself, to be promised summer lessons which never materialise - even though they know she gave up the chance of summer schools and intensive classes to attend, to be told that she cannot attend classes elsewhere even though they can't offer her valid or enough classes themselves and that she may not audition for associate classes. What they are doing is putting obstacles in her way at every turn.

Are they advising the students re the change of syllabi and its impact on them? Do they have favourites in the beginner Adv 1 group and want to hold your DD back so that she doesn't 'outshine' them? Are they proposing to keep your DD in Adv 1 for 4 years on a financial basis, ie you pay for 4 years of lessons rather than only 2? Do they think they 'own' your DD and can thus dictate that she may not seek classes elsewhere of any sort?

Thinking of you and your DD and hoping that you are able to find a solution - and soon.

• Like 9

Unfortunately it sounds like your DD is suffering from being 'new' at this school. Often a teacher's loyalties will be to long-standing students and they will not put themselves out for newly arrived students who have not shown loyalty to the school over years.

It sounds like your best bet is to investigate the RAD intensive. I'm not sure if they still do it but they used to do a week's intensive and then enter you for the exam at the end of it or something like that.

It also sounds like you are focussing exclusively on this exam and syllabus but there are many other valuable training opportunities out there. RAD exams are not that important. I understand that RBS will no longer be doing them from September and I have heard that Elmhurst may stop doing them as well.

I agree that exams are not that important, whether RAD or otherwise, but in this country they are the recognised 'yardstick' by which non-vocational students can measure their progress and achievements. Even if vocational schools stop doing RAD exams (which would surprise me as they allow entry to the Genee, Phyllis Bedells awards etc), they will remain important to non-vocational dancers who otherwise have no universally accepted way of demonstrating their level of work (and RAD exams at a certain level are accredited, which can assist re university entrance etc).

As stardancer's DD has already worked on the current Adv 1 syllabus for two years, I am not surprised that she currently wants to concentrate on preparing for and taking the exam, especially as so many difficulties are being created in this regard by her teachers. I agree, however, with Ribbons and others that stardancer and her DD would be better off investigating the other training opportunities available - despite her teachers' disapproval of outside training, associate classes etc (or indeed, it would appear, their disapproval of anything that could enhance and further stardancer's DD's training!)

• Like 1

Sorry, just realised that it sounds as though I mean that I think stardancer's DD should investigate other training opportunities rather than concentrate on Adv 1 . I meant that other training opportunities alongside her understandable wish to prepare for and take the Adv 1 exam would be the optimum.

The RAD intensive course starts on Tuesday unfortunately. (My DD is doing the advanced foundation course).Given that Monday is a bank holiday I would imagine it will be very difficult, if not impossible, for stardancer to contact anyone at the RAD in time to start the course on Tuesday. I don't know if they would allow someone to join in a little later in the week though - I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

• Like 3

If it's true that three important vocational schools are discontinuing RAD classes for their senior students, I think that's a real shame and probably quite a blow to the RAD.  I wonder if they don't want to start with all the new syllabi??   It's costing our school a fortune to keep buying all the new material and it's very hard work for the teachers to learn and understand the new system.  Of course, the vocational schools may just be waiting to see how the new work is received by the dance community in general. 

Hi legseleven thank you for your,e kind words.My dd after two years has had enough at least a date for the exam would be good.My dd has two teachers and for the past year has worked well and was very happy .she even gave her a date for next march.untill my dd joined the other teachers class ,like ribbons said her loyalties are with the other girls.She told me my dd could not be in this years summer show ,untill she smiles and she cannot ever think of taking an exam with that face as all the other girls are happy more like afraid.I texted her other teacher to tell her my dd has had a terrible summer and she replyed I love your,e dd but it is not up to me .my dd wants me to have one last chat with them and ask can she have a private lesson also go somewhere else and to avoid the grumpy lady,s class.I think my dd has been put down by the other teacher ,like a form of bullying and often looks unhappy.My dd said she is not bothered about the exam she just want to develope as a dancer and move on but most rad teachers will not allow this without an exam. Do you no if My dd can move onto advanced two and miss advanced 1 ,but maybe take that exam in later life.my only concerns with that would be if I changed schools and they want to see her exam mark then they will make her repeat advanced 1.Hi pups-mum I would love to meet you and your,e dd in London next week for the classes but I have broke my foot and the thought of going on the tube with crutches is frightening.Have a lovely time and let me no how it went

I believe that to take Advanced 2 you have to have passed Advanced 1. Plus the RAD told my dd's teacher at a recent feedback meeting that with the new Vocational syllabi what they most want to see are dancers who are physically strong. They even mentioned 15 as the ideal age for girls to take the new Intermediate exam, having ideally got the big teenage growth spurt over with. Hence even if you could skip Adv 1 your dd would not be physically strong enough to tackle Adv 2.

If I were you, I would:

Investigate other RAD schools within travelling distance;

Ask them if your dd could go along to a trial Adv 1 class

See which teacher(s) she likes and see if they would take her,

Give notice to your current school,

And at the same time be investigating associate schemes because even with the best RAD teacher in the world, there are only benefits to be gained from attending a good, non-syllabus associate scheme.

• Like 5

Hi Spanerandpony if my dd does advanced 2 after Christmas and stays in there for about 2 years she will be 16 maybe 17 .She is very strong that is the only thing her teachers like about her.I am also going to try for an associate school for her as I feel she would learn so much more than exams. Maybe the joy of dance

• Like 2