Annoying exam result

Iloveballet2804

I've just got my exam result back for rad grade 4 ballet and I'm really disappointed. I received 66 merit which is my lowest score ever having received distinctions since grade 1. This is primarily because I work really really hard before exams. I have improved loads since my last exam and had taken lots of extra exam classes. I thought the exam had gone really well and that I'd made no mistakes. Strangely the highest mark of the class ( 20 dancers ) was 69! A lot of us were on track for at least 75 ( distinction ) and I'm really annoyed and confused about why my mark ( and everyone else's ) was so much lower than what had been expected. Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen to them / their dc? X

Guest Autumn days

Try not to be disheartened, lovesballet! My dd's mark was lower than expected as well although she was doing a vocational grade. It does sound as though all the marks are coming in lower than expected this time for some reason.

If your teacher is concerned she/he can use the RAD results enquiry service and get a class report if there are a lot that appear on the low side. But while it is annoying and upsetting, it's best to try not to get too disheartened and to focus on moving onwards and upwards. 

Did your teacher give you a copy of your report? You can see the marking criteria on the RAD website or your teacher should have a copy so you'll be able to see which areas you did well on and which you perhaps need to focus a bit more on. It could be that everyones free movement, or everyone's character sections were low, so maybe the examiner is trying to suggest a bit more work is done on accuracy in character, or attention to the criteria with free movement (just examples but I was trained by a Grades examiner and she was very hot on character and free movement not being neglected or over-classical in it's performance)

My free movement may have been over classical as I do know that's one area I have to work at but still not sure what other marks lost will be for - ah well it wont stop me dancing which is all that matters!!

Thats the spirit,youve still done very well.Sometimes sessions go this way.
  • Like 1

My DD had a disappointing grade last year and it really knocked her confidence.  You hear about some DC getting in the high 80s/90s and you wonder how and I just think that some teachers mark harder than others.  Also as suggested I think character and free movement are very important in the overall picture but perhaps get left to the end in the teaching.  DDs grades come out this week hopefully it will be good news but if not she is still a great little dancer as I'm sure you are. :)