Central Summer School review

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

My dd (15) did the advanced version of this and although she was a bit unsure about it beforehand she said that it went OK. She liked the variety of classes and having different teachers and thought that the standard of students was amazing so learned a lot from watching them. If anything, she was very daunted by the talent that she saw and it gave her a good taste of how competitive it will be to get a 6th form place. Although the teachers did give some general feedback, she was hoping for more personal corrections. She said some gave more feedback than others.

She thought that the studios were quite small, though, especially given the large number of students in each group and also the building itself is quite run down and it not in the best part of town, which would worry me as a parent of a full time student, especially in the winter when it was dark. 

I thought that the show at the end was quite slick and it was lovely to see what they had been doing.

Overall it was a worthwhile experience but I would be interested to hear other opinions of the course as she hasn't done any summer schools since she was a fair bit younger and isn't sure if this was representative or not!

• Like 2

If this was held at the Central School of Ballet in Herbal Hill I lived not far from there for the best part of 25 years and I would consider it a safe area and not that run down either!!

It's exceptionally good for bus services too.

• Like 2

Yes, buses stop right outside the school; most helpful. Several of the older Associates arrive and leave by themselves every Saturday with no problem. The building itself is...erm...quirky! But it is an old building. I rather like it. :-)

Yes I agree the building is a bit up and down the stairs all the time!! But the "studios" are mostly large enough. When I go to David Kierce's Adult classes there from time to time his classes are always in the basement.....a long way from the changing rooms....so my least favourite one and that one does overheat a bit as no open windows!! Though there is a door onto a yard you can open on the hottest days.

I assume this must have once been a primary school but anyway at least it's all there's !!

If you walk the other way Rosebury Avenue then there are buses to Victoria and Chelsea in one direction and rest of Islington and Hackney in the other as well as the ones going to,Oxford St etc from the other side!!