Bolshoi Ballet: Jewels, London 2013

RUBIES was much improved last night over Monday's outing by the Bolshoi Ballet after (as noted above) a rocky start.  This was largely due to the principals (Kretova, Merkuriev, Grebenshchikova) being much more focused in terms of their syncopated pizzazz and - in both (i) RUBIES and (ii) DIAMONDS - the male soloists [(i) Artem Belyakov-both; Denis Rodkin-both; Maxim Surov, Dimitri Dorokhov; (ii) Mikhail Kryuchov, Dimitri Efremov] dancing in a much more appropriate and unified (e.g., non-individually-competitive) performance mode than their Monday peers had evidenced.  Merkuriev was noticeable in terms of his animated interaction throughout RUBIES for which thanks was extended.  (While not a patch on, say, a Damien Woetzel or Robert Fairchild in the same role, his was certainly a much more present and appropriate take than Dmitri Gudanov's etching the night before in which so much of the work's inherent joy filled detail was absent and that which strove to be present was forced and unfulfilled.)  Think Rodkin has shown himself to be one of the strongest partners the current Company possesses.  They very much need to hang on to him.  Chudin was again solid although his partnering in the home stretch was yesterday night a tad less secure/consistent than it had been on Monday's showing.  Again Sirmnova's potential glowed.  It needs to be carefully husbanded and I join the throng in looking forward to see where her future journey leads.  As a result of the noted improvements the audience's response was much more focused in its appreciation of the latter two ballets.  EMERALDS sadly showed similar deficiencies as had been all too evident the evening prior and the orchestra's rendition of the Faure remained unfortunately underwhelming.  

Edited by Meunier

well, what a difference a day makes. Rubies last night (the 2nd showing on Tuesday that is) was utterly splendid, with vim and zip we'd all craved for - Ms Kretova and Mr Mercuriev sparkled off each other, vying to see who was enjoying it the most - think Ms Kretova just sneaked the result in a photo finish. Liked the 'trio' a lot in Emeralds (but overall preferred Monday cast for the 4 leads). Apart from a little fluff or two turning, Ms Smirnova was again super in Diamonds

EMERALDS sadly showed similar deficiencies as had been all too evident the evening prior with the orchestra's rendition of the Faure remaining unfortunately underwhelming.  

I found the orchestra if anuthing OVERwhelming for the Faure - the wind sections blowing everyone out of the pit a bit. Between us, I think we were well whelmed...

• Like 3

Jewels on Tuesday, 13th. I had seen the Bolshoi in previous years in all the classics, so this time opted for Jewels, with an interest in how they would handle Balanchine and a chance to see as many of their dancers as possible in soloist roles. I enjoyed Emeralds, though not the music as it seemed rather 'heavy'.

Rubies is my least favourite of the trio but I did enjoy the dancing as thet seemed to warm up as it went on.

The big draw for me, as for many was the chance to see Smirnova. I love a narrative ballet where I can get the emotional outlet that is so satisfying and did not expect to get that with Jewels. However, the sheer beauty of her grace and style ... Vaganova training rang through, was simply a thing of suh beauty that I was overwhelmed and reminded of everything that moves me in the expression of emotion through ballet. Loved them both in it and now add her to my list of 'lucky to have been there' moments.

• Like 2

I don't want to repeat what others have said, but the performance on the 13th was great.  Out of the first Swan Lake and the Zakharova/Smirnova Sleeping Beauty, this was probably my favourite. It was great to finally see Merkuriev and Chudin with the company.  Very sad it's almost over and not looking forward to having September off.

• Like 2

Listening to the whole of Tchaikovsky's Third Symphony at the Proms last night, I realised how much less familiar I am with the first movement than with the rest.  Clearly I've watched too many performances of "Diamonds" :)

• Like 1

I can't say how delighted I am to hear that the Bolshoi season seems to have taken off at last.  I have been very puzzled by the lack of enthusiasm on this forum compared to the enthusiasm, by and large of the critics, one of whom said this season must be regarded as a commercial success.  I take this to mean, "all the seats have been sold", whereas I get the impression that this had not been a vintage season as far as the dancing goes!  I have saved my one and only visit for the Saturday matinee of Flames of Paris, the only reason being is that it is a matinee and I can get there and back in a day, and it's a ballet I have never seen before.  I am hoping that they are saving the best to the last

• Like 3

I have saved my one and only visit for the Saturday matinee of Flames of Paris, the only reason being is that it is a matinee and I can get there and back in a day, and it's a ballet I have never seen before.  I am hoping that they are saving the best to the last

I'm at the matinee too Pat!  I'm towards the side of row C in the stalls.

I love the Bolshoi best when they are dancing their really extrovert rep, and from what I've seen from my DVD Flames of Paris will be something special.  Am going to all three perfs,

• Like 2

I'm at the matinee too Pat!  I'm towards the side of row C in the stalls.

I am on the left hand side of the balcony, row A.  Shall we try to meet either before the performance or in the interval?  I am off early tomorrow morning to stay with a friend on the way so let me know asap whether and where

Come to Leeds and see Northern Ballet.  The Autumn tour opens with David Nixon's superb Midsummer Night's Dream on 6th September!

Thank you!  I'm pretty sure my wallet would want to tahe a month off...  I'd really love to come though!

Edited by ENBlover

The big draw for me, as for many was the chance to see Smirnova. I love a narrative ballet where I can get the emotional outlet that is so satisfying and did not expect to get that with Jewels. However, the sheer beauty of her grace and style ... Vaganova training rang through, was simply a thing of suh beauty that I was overwhelmed and reminded of everything that moves me in the expression of emotion through ballet. Loved them both in it and now add her to my list of 'lucky to have been there' moments.

I know some of you are already quite familiar with my *adortation* of Clement Crisp's almost unqualified admiration for the flagships of Russian ballet, the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi. I haven't been able to see any of these performances, but I've had the great fortune of seeing many of these two companies' efforts in the last ten years. I don't want to bulldozer my thoughts about a series that I've not even seen, but I certainly agree with Clement Crisp's immense over-the-years enthusiasm.

He seems quite in love with Olga Smirnova. I would go as far as to suggest that the London press's great enthusiasm was already set in place before the Bolshoi even arrived by his glowing report from Moscow last autumn. But press reviewers do have minds of their own and I'm sure someone would have broken step if she or he thought it really warranted. They haven't as far I've been able to see. By the way, Clement Crisp was by no means the first to 'discover' Olga Smirnova. The internet had been alive with praise for her for a year anyway before he first saw her.

Another very interesting phenomenon is the growing opinion that George Balanchine is very much a Mariinsky 'animal' (has very basic roots there). From my internet viewing it was some members of the London press that first strongly implied  this based on the Mariinsky's much praised performances of Ballet Imperial (?) two summers ago (?). I was at those performances and I very much agreed. One press reviewer wrote that the Mariinsky had reclaimed its own. This should be very interesting to watch. I've been very impressed with the Mariinsky's 'interpretations' of George Balanchine. Again, Clement Crisp:

"I am no stranger to Balanchine’s Jewels. I loved its early performances, and how exquisite was Violette Verdy in Emeralds, how ecstatic Suzanne Farrell and Peter Martins in Diamonds. But on Tuesday, after the Bolshoi Ballet showed us Jewels, I was prepared to hail Olga Smirnova’s performance inDiamonds – and no less so Semyon Chudin’s as her cavalier – as sublimely commanding, perfect."

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/3c117712-04c2-11e3-9ffd-00144feab7de.html#axzz2c3jHuZhR

Edited by alison
Excessive quoting
  • Like 1

Love love loved every bit of Jewels on Tuesday it is one of my favourite non narrative ballets and the Bolshoi sparkled for me.  Man of the match has to be Andrei Merkuriev in Rubies.  My favourite piece was Diamonds though with its pure white glittering tutus and tiaras, beautiful Tchaikovsky music and night sky set.  Here I got my first sighting of Olga Smirnova - she is definitely one to watch, so young but such a lovely dancer can't wait to see more of her in the future. 

I'm at FoP matinee on Saturday too....might see others there.  It's been a big long run with the Bolshoi in London and speaking to one of the dancers it has been a long season of big ballets, the Onegin launch, this big tour of big ballets, so I hope they get a holiday after the last performance...they deserve it!!

• Like 1

I can't say how delighted I am to hear that the Bolshoi season seems to have taken off at last.  I have been very puzzled by the lack of enthusiasm on this forum compared to the enthusiasm, by and large of the critics, one of whom said this season must be regarded as a commercial success.  I take this to mean, "all the seats have been sold", whereas I get the impression that this had not been a vintage season as far as the dancing goes!  I have saved my one and only visit for the Saturday matinee of Flames of Paris, the only reason being is that it is a matinee and I can get there and back in a day, and it's a ballet I have never seen before.  I am hoping that they are saving the best to the last

Although I have seem some wonderful performances over the last 3 weeks, I think the best is to come tonight and tomorrow :)

Have just decided on "wardrobe" for sat mat of Flames of Paris! As not promising to be that warm so no floaty skirt!

Will be wearing pinky-purply chinos and a stone coloured top with pattern of turquoise and mauve butterflies on.....anyone who shops (in the sales) at Monsoon will recognise!

Just my luck everyone else going to this performance who has this top will be turning up in it (Well probably not the men!)

I will wear my pink pearl ear-rings( as an alternative to pink nail varnish as suggested on the Elmhurst thread here!)

I'm standing Stalls Circle and an early D I think so on the side more and am hoping tobe well behaved(nearly put this on audience behaviour thread) but if the dancing gets too good....well you never know might do something unpredictable!!

An added thought about the Balanchine works. I find that the Mariinsky has somewhat softened the feel. I would imagine that the Bolshoi has done the same but not as much. I like this approach very much.

In the same sentiment I hope that Olga Smirnova keeps as much of her Mariinsky 'softness' and loveliness as possible. Svetlana Zakharova, I believe, has managed to do this wonderfully over the years. As fine as Olga Smirnova's performance of Diamonds might be, it's perhaps not the best place to judge this. Swan Lake would probably be a better choice.

Again -- Why this approach for Olga Smirnova ?

It's just so 'darn' Beautiful and she's so capable of doing it.

Edited by Buddy

This is from a review of Diamonds by Judith Mackrell, that seems to describe today's Olga Smirnova.

"Fabulously gifted, this young dancer is already proving a maverick – the singing line of her upper body punctuated by the odd, imperious accents of her phrasing."

Maybe you can relate this to what I'm trying to say in my previous two posts. "the singing line of her upper body" is what I'm expressing my love for. The "maverick" is what I try to balance into the equation. The "maverick" may prove to be (perhaps is already) absolute genius and wonderful 'magic'. I'm mainly trying to voice my love of the "singing line".

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2013/aug/13/bolshoi-ballet-jewels-review

Edited by Buddy

No Lin, I was in black and white yesterday.  As it happens I bumped into several chums as in the interval was standing by the grand piano catching up with a very good friend I hadn't seen for ages.

I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and West Side Story, which we saw in the evening.

• Like 1

For me the absolute highlight of Jewels was Rubies, with Andrey Merkuriev and Kristina Kretova.   They showed the stunning technique and energy required to fully master Balanchine's complex choreography and the twists in Stravinsky's music - requiring angular shapes, high extensions, and a terrific level of stamina.   Rubies lifted the mood of the audience to rapturous applause at curtain.   Fantastic!