RIP David Howard

It is reported by official sources (his Facebook page among others) that much-beloved teacher David Howard passed away this evening in New York City from the effects of a stroke. He was a delight both as a teacher and a man.  I am sure that there will be press etc. in the coming days.

Edited by victoriapage

This is sad news indeed.  Beyond his start with the RB and later NBoC David Howard was an important and vital influence to so many key dancers drawn from throughout the dance world both during the dance boom and beyond.  We ALL I think owe Mr. Howard much and his weighty legacy will outlast us all.  It already does.  

Edited by Meunier

This is very sad.  I never had the opportunity to see him in person, but I know how much he was esteemed by so many dancers in this country - and, I imagine, around the world, too.

Thank you, victoriapage, for posting this.  I hope you'll be able to post something more joyful in the future.

This is very sad, indeed.

A couple of years ago I had the immense pleasure of interviewing him over lunch and observing his class when he came to City Ballet of San Diego.

The interview and Class Observation was written up for the original Ballet.co board and can be read here:

http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_07/nov07/interview_david_howard.htm

He was a very gracious to me and I enjoyed every minute with him.

Rest in Peace, my friend!

This is very sad.  I never had the opportunity to see him in person, but I know how much he was esteemed by so many dancers in this country - and, I imagine, around the world, too.

Thank you, victoriapage, for posting this.  I hope you'll be able to post something more joyful in the future.

Thank you, Alison.  It would be impossible to estimate his effect on the lives and careers of those in his classes.  I first met him long before he had his own school, when he was teaching for Harkness House in New York, and later, even when I couldn't do his class I would watch just to glean everything I could from it, because it was so bejeweled, as it were. He created an incredible atmosphere among all of us.

In June of 1983, 14-year-old Katherine Haley participated in the Varna International Ballet Competition, winning gold medal in the Junior Division.  Her piece was choreographed by master ballet instructor David Howard especially for the event!  Her partner was Greg Larson and the music was arranged by Lynn Stanford.

Ms. Healy went on to an illustrious career in dancing, figure skating, film, and graduated from Princeton in Art History.

Here is a video of that performance.

To be entirely correct, however, I think she shared the gold medal in the Junior division with Margarita Kullik.

It's possible, Victoria.  Wikipedia writes (without source):

"After having won the silver medal in the junior division at the 1982 USA International Ballet Competition, the following year she won the same event in Varna, Bulgaria, becoming the youngest ever to be awarded the gold medal."

Yes, Victoria, you are correct.  Look at this NY Times article.

Edited by MarkPanzarino