Re-mastered Bolshoi ballets on SkyArts

I saw this post in the Reviews section and thought it perhaps deserved a more prominent placing as it is so interesting. Recordings of 6 Bolshoi ballets have been found in the Russian state archive and have been  remastered by Sky. Apparently this is the first time they have been broadcast outside Russia. the first ballet is Swan lake  starring Maya Plisetskaya and is being shown tomorrow, Sunday 11th August at 8pm and followed by their recently shown doc, Madam and the dying Swan, about Ninette de Valois. I think it is repeated on Tuesday and the other ballets are Giselle, Romeo and Juliet, Don Q, the Nutcracker and Adam and Eve (which I don't know). They all date from the 1970s and 80s. A doc about the finding of them has also been commissioned by SkyArts and is is to be presented by Deborah Bull. The original post from The  Stage newspaper is in Thursday 8th August Reviews posting.   Joan

Guest chinafish

I had it recorded on Sky+ and it drove me nuts watching it for Acts 1 and 2 most of the time the music is 2 phrases behind the movement.

Serious fail for whoever was aligning the audio with the visual -- dancers starting in silence for 2 phrases before the music? Really??

Thanks for posting this Chinafish ... I began to think it was just me.  I simply couldn't believe it!!  I began to wonder why Sky Arts were broadcasting this AT ALL with the sync in such a sorry state.  The charity I run leads (amongst its many strands) a digital video shooting/editing training programme for prisoners.  Frankly I would not allow a segment that was so mis-aligned to be shown AT ALL and insist that the editors go back and correct it.  It is simply not good enough.  Quite frankly, while not honouring the Bolshoi's fine traditions ... it makes I fear a laughing stock out of Sky Arts.  Perhaps they can address THIS in the documentary they are making with Deborah Bull about their discoveries.  I sincerely wonder how SHE feels about the state of the film as broadcast.  For one It left me feeling quite angered ... and certainly made me question my subscription to Sky.   I wonder do the commerical sponsors not see this before airing?  Surely they must.  In the US it would be against the law for a commercial broadcaster NOT to do so.  Did they not realise the glaring faults that are herein evident?  If so do they (Lexis et al) care?  It would appear from the fact that this programme was broadcast in the state that it is in that they do not.  SHAME!  Surely that speaks for itself and I pray that was NOT their intent.  As to the presenting organisation itself ... Well ... 

Edited by Meunier

When I read Joan's posting I was about to bemoan the fact that I don't subscribe to Sky. Having read the rest of the thread now I don't mind!! After finding such a treasure trove, and going to all the trouble of remastering it, you'd think they could at least co-ordinate the music with the movement....a pretty important thing in ballet :)

I've recorded it but not watched it yet. Now I'm not really in a hurry to do so!! I wasn't really too bothered about Swan lake anyway as it's not a favourite ballet but that's not the point. What is the point of going to all the expense of re-mastering it if you can't sort out problems like this. I hope they've read these reviews and are checking on the other ballets.    Joan

Guest chinafish

I've been told, by a friend who works at Sky (and I only realised she works there after I had a moan on twitter!), that they have sorted out the syncing problems and the showing on this Saturday 17th August at 2pm will be fixed.

Fingers crossed!

Not much use to me as we're in London at Flames and the recorder is set for football!!! Must give in to my husband occasionally as he's paid for the Flames tickets for both of us and transport and accommodation! I'm sure it will be repeated again and I'll just watch out for it and record it at a later date. I don't suppose your friend knows anything about casting for other ballets, chinafish? I'm hoping for the wonderful, charismatic Gediminas Taranda but the recordings may be too early.   Joan

• Like 1