Extra classes for pointe

tutoo2much

Can I suggest that regardless of amount of classes that your daughter does foot strengthening exercises. This will enable her to get the most out of pointe classes as you can do less providing you are building the right muscles and strengthening. I have seen so many students who I have actually wanted to stop doing pointe work with and go back to basics. Without that a million classes will not provide solid progression. It may be that this is not relevant but foot strengthening can only enhance class work. The work of Lisa Howell around pointe work is excellent for those new to pointe work or several months away from beginning pointe work.

• Like 2

Taxi4ballet she is 14 and has been on pointe 4 years. I think it varies how much time they are en pointe in her classes, not sure if there is even a set amount?!  I am sure on Ballet talk I have read about dd's doing a lower level class en pointe, if enough pointe classes were available.   Seems they do separate pointe classes there and a vocational schools here.

Balleteacher- I think this is probably more important.....

Edited by tutoo2much

Tutoo2much, just to give you some idea of what my dd does (she is 14 too and started pointe at 11), she usually has 3 pointe classes of 45 mins a week at the end of her regular classes.. She's also an associate and does a pointe class there as well.

Obviously every dancer is different, and teachers vary in their opinions as to how much pointework is done and at what level. We know several other girls the same age who do much less and some who do a little more. 

So... we can't really say how much your dd should be doing - perhaps you could discuss things with her teacher?

My dd 14, intermediate level does point only half hour per week ( class just for pointe) at the mo unless they do a bit in syllabus class. I think this could well increase to new term to one hour plus then will have an hour at associates. I also tended to think she wasnt doing enough pointe but for her dancing level was probably fine. i think there was a similar thread about a year ago , if you can find it there may be some more info there.