Clash of classes dilemma! – Seeking advice in the East of England

Clara

Hi all, I’m after a bit of advice, especially from those of you who live in the East of England. Dd has had an amazing year dance wise and is on a real high at the moment having secured some fantastic opportunities through auditions and to top the year off has just received 3 really lovely exam results in ballet and modern. However, along with the successes…..we are now facing a few potential problems and difficult decisions. One of her auditions was for the DanceEast CAT scheme at Dance East and she was ecstatic to be offered a place starting in September. Unfortunately I have recently found out her mid-week class with them will clash with her Grade 4 ISTD ballet lesson. It states in the student handbook that dancers are not allowed to miss their classes in order to attend another dance class. I have already emailed her ballet teacher to let her know about the clash of classes and I had also mentioned it prior to receiving the audition result. I did ask in the email whether there were any other options available including private tuition. I know from the timetabling there is no other grade 4 lesson on an alternative night and another parent who has a daughter at the older end of the school has told me that they will not consider any requests for private lessons. I feel totally torn about what to do. DD is desperate to be a part of the programme at DanceEast and I also feel that if I were to suggest not taking her place in favour of her ballet class she would possibly resent the ballet eventually. On the flip side she adores ballet and is so looking forward to learning the grade 4 work following her grade 3 exam. At the moment if you ask her what she wants to do with her dancing she will say she wants to be a professional ballet dancer. So after my essay of a post I guess my question is if anyone can recommend a good school teaching grade 4 on a night other than a Wednesday or of a teacher who has a good reputation who may consider offering private lessons to students with potential? I’m not ruling out working with the school she is currently with to reach a solution, but based on the experiences of others in a similar situation I would say it is looking unlikely that there will be anything available other than the existing lesson. Obviously I do not expect anyone to discuss particular schools or teachers on this post but if anyone with knowledge could private message me I would greatly appreciate it! Or if you would prefer I am happy to give out my email address in a PM! 

Thanks all! A couple of others have also mentioned Inter Foundation so I am going to ask her ballet teacher about this as a possibility and I will also email Dance East explaining the situation to see what they suggest! Fingers crossed we manage to sort something out before September! x

• Like 1