Northern Ballet School auditions

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

Can anyone that auditioned last year remember when the audition dates were posted on their website?

I am also interested in how these auditions work. Am I right in thinking that there is just one audition? Are places offered after each audition and then a decision made about DaDAs after all the auditions have taken place or does no one hear if they have a place until after all the auditions? Are DaDAs (subject to finances etc) offered after each audition (I did think I heard of this happening but may have misunderstood?).

Do yo need a solo prepared for this audition?

Many thanks

Hi

The audition dates were relatively late in being posted. They were all on a Monday and certainly after Christmas.

There is only 1audition you have to attend and after that you are advised whether or not you have been offered a place. We were notified that DD was being considered for a DADA but they had to see the other auditionees before making a final decision.

The lovely lady who ran it explained that they see everyone once and then rank them and offer DADA's according to these rankings.( you never know where you are ranked)

A solo was not required for this audition, but do check with them in case it has changed this year.

Good luck to your DC and even better luck to you for the stresses that inevitably follow these audition processes. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

Ecarte - thank you. Do you know if they offer anyone a place but say from the outset that they wouldn't be able to offer them a DaDA? i.e. like a second level of placement below those that they think may be awarded one at a later date

? And yes, I am fully expecting it to be a stressful year all round!

Janet - this thread does touch on my question but leaves me a bit confused as one person seemed to think that she had a funded place at the outset and someone else said that DaDAs are not considered until the end of the auditions, which is why more replies would be helpful!!!

My DD auditioned the year before last. All auditions were Mondays with the earliest being at the end of November. We were told the same thing as Ecarte. There is only one audition and at that audition a candidate is marked/ranked and you are notified after the audition if you have been offered a place. DADAs are offered at a later date according to these rankings. We were also told that DADA letters start going out before all auditions are finished - a few at a time to the highest ranking candidates as it becomes apparent that these top ranked candidates are not likely to drop so far down the list as to not be placed for a DADA award. It is possible therefore that someone auditioning towards the end of their audition dates and who gets a very high ranking might get offered a place and funding at the same time. For the vast majority, however, the place is offered first and DADAs in order of ranking when the auditions are all finished. Not sure if I have explained it very well but that is what we were told.

• Like 1

2dancersmum. I agree with your expansion and explanation on the DADA offers.

The new system of DADA's came in this year and also operated in the same way. We were offered a place and notified after the audition, we were asked if we would like to accept a place but their was no commitment. We were then offered a DADA at a later stage, it was at this point that a real decision had to be made. As far as I know they offer in order of ranking and keep going until the money runs out. Obviously there will be some candidates who get several DADA offers from different institutions and if they then accept these and these it then may then free up some of those already allocated so go to the next in the rankings who just missed out, so you may end up with a much later DADA offer!

It is so complicated. Hope I've not confused you more!

Guest Autumn days

Thank you, 2dancersmum and Ecarte again, that was very helpful. Am I right, therefore, in thinking that it is possible to get an offer of a place and then not actually be offered a DaDA? (as opposed to being offered one and not being able to benefit from one?)

That is possible yes as there are more places than DADAs for the course.  It does take a few months for all the DADAs to be settled as not all schools make their offers at the same time and some of the London dance colleges are much later than the ballet schools so there can be a lot of movement on waiting lists for all schools right up until July so it is worth accepting a place even without a DADA offer and waiting to see if one becomes available. 

DD had her audition in late feb this year for nothern and we got a letter pretty quick offering place and DaDA, conditional on providing the appropriate proof of household income. It was a full day but great as just one trip whereas all others were audition then finals so two trips, two hotels ...! It all mounts up.

I do know others offered straight place no dada offer and others with offers of place and consideration for DaDa so they are all possible.

my advice would be to really look at each school and what they offer...ALevels were not high priority on our list but i know for others they are. Also i sent off early for any prospect details each school had...northern does a great dvd!

The director there seemed wonderful and if DD had not been offered the school she has accepted then she would have gone there.

Accommodation is right round the corner...i went and had a look around at two...both really nice and one took a block booking for the dance students.

Good luck with auditions...although long, tiring and expensive we loved every minute doing it together and i would do it again for the fun times we had!

Don't hesitate to ask more questions ...this forum was and still is a valuable wealth of experience and support!

Kindest.

• Like 5

Guest Autumn days

Thank you all! It sounds like a minefield out there but livingonaprayer has proved that some enjoyment can be had out of it all  :)

Edited to add that I have sent a PM to Livingonaprayer!

Edited by mum in a spin