Classes in New York

Katymac

DD has the opportunity of going to New York for a few days to study later in the summer or half-term (Oct or Feb) or next Easter

I am a wuss; I can't just pick a course on-line & hope for the best - I'm terrified I'll pay for a top school and end up with a Saturday morning class which isn't significantly better than her class here.

Does anyone know anything about the New York Dance schools - ideally she wants to do American tap - but at this stage would be happy to do something at her level over there

Any ideas?

ps she isn't that good yet

Edited by Katymac

I took classes at Peridance center a few years ago, they were great. Also 890 Broadway (ABT studios) had open ballet classes and in my opinion these two places were much better than the ram-packed classes at places like Broadway Dance Center.

Hang on

I thought 'Lovely treat' DD is thinking 'scary experience' - oh dear!!

Also she says English (ISTD) tap is very different to American Tap, so she would be out of her depth

I think more thought is necessary

Hi Katymac

Not sure whether she's done this, but what about trying some of the relevant classes at Pineapple and Danceworks over the summer to give your DD a taste? It is quite intimidating, but if she got used to it she might be more open to trying the same sort of thing in New York! (and they do offer American Tap....so she could try that out too!!)... :)

• Like 1

DD has the opportunity of going to New York for a few days to study later in the summer or half-term (Oct or Feb) or next Easter

I am a wuss; I can't just pick a course on-line & hope for the best - I'm terrified I'll pay for a top school and end up with a Saturday morning class which isn't significantly better than her class here.

Does anyone know anything about the New York Dance schools - ideally she wants to do American tap - but at this stage would be happy to do something at her level over there

Any ideas?

ps she isn't that good yet

Hi Katymac

IMO unless you are going to be in NY anyway, I would go with FelixGirl's suggestion of classes at Pineapple and Danceworks to see whether your daughter likes the style of American tap. It's a lot of expense if the experience doesn't meet your expectations. If your daughter is studying ISTD, she will find it very different.  From memory, I think my daughter said American tap was flat footed (as opposed to flexing of the ankles) and a lot faster than ISTD, more like BBO. Apologies if this isn't correct as my memory is not what it should be these days!  Daughter had studied ISTD for 11 years before starting American tap, which she did for 3 years alongside ISTD. She really enjoyed it as in her opinion it was a lot more jazzy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pineapple looks to be a good choice - I'll see what I can arrange

Just friends live there & offered free accommodation & it looked to be a good idea........obviously not ;)

Must check with DD before making plans

Hi Katymac

Check out Tap Attack .... My younger dd has been an associate in Manchester for the past 2 years .

They hold classes in Swindon and Reading plus masterclasses all over.

They teach all types of tap including Lindy Hop.

Jo Scanlan the co-founder is lovely and very approachable.

Probably cheaper than NY too ;)

• Like 1