English national ballet summer school

ballemum

Hello ballemum!

My dd going this Monday and also very excited :)

She did it last year and  2010, (funds did not allow 2011!)  Absolutely loved it, found it very beneficial. Last year there was technique, repertoire (Bluebird variation and Little Red Riding Hood) some pointe and Contemporary, (the latter an important factor for dd). A lot of the students were international and dd was fascinated/inspired by the different approaches - so learnt a lot from the others. Teachers great too! (DD enthused each day, every day... always a good barometer)

Also, Kings Road a great place for a teenage girl! I'm sure your dd will have a fabulous time!

• Like 1

Went to little show yesterday and they all seemed to have learned a lot in what was really only 4 and a half days.

My friends DD wasn't a boarder so probably missed out on some bonding etc but still enjoyed the course and after York and here is definitely appreciating contemporary more. It was hard to see at times though so better to stay standing at the back I think unless you are in the first three or four rows. At York the audience sat all around the room which was also like a big hall so similar space and could see much better. No filming was allowed by the way in case thinking of it.

One thing though maybe I didn't get a complete overview but I was disappointed in the premises from what I saw as this is the place where the full time students train as well and it seemed to be just part of a larger school type complex nothing to do with ballet.....at least Central has the whole building to itself. I couldn't see that many studios there.

As ENB is the second ballet company in UK I was expecting something better and at least exclusive to ENB. Maybe the Company premises are better but anyway just a minor gripe the students looked like they had had a great time and at the end some awards for each group for technical and artistic merit were given out.

As ENB is the second ballet company in UK I was expecting something better and at least exclusive to ENB. Maybe the Company premises are better

Well, I haven't been there for a while, but unless they've been majorly upgraded (which I doubt) the company premises aren't that much to write home about either.  Certainly not when compared with the Royal Opera House, or, I suspect, BRB's.

• Like 2

Was anyone lucky enough to see the demonstration today?

Yes, I saw the demonstration and thought they all did really well, in fact husband was very impressed! Couldn't see any feet though as was a l a little towards the back! (Therefore Nutcracker's Snowflakes on pointe was lost on me, except I knew they must have been on pointe as every now and again they got taller :). Also, anyone who rolled on floor disappeared altogether!) Very enjoyable week and DD would love to go next year. ENB staff were lovely too!

• Like 1

Yes I enjoyed the demonstration only criticism was that my dd did not get to do pointe in the demonstration as she is doing advanced syllabus it would have been nice to see and a few of the girls in her group said the same.on the whole an enjoyable week for her and she definately wants to do one next year

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I saw the demonstration and thought they all did really well, in fact husband was very impressed! Couldn't see any feet though as was a l a little towards the back! (Therefore Nutcracker's Snowflakes on pointe was lost on me, except I knew they must have been on pointe as every now and again they got taller :). Also, anyone who rolled on floor disappeared altogether!) Very enjoyable week and DD would love to go next year. ENB staff were lovely too!

I agree; that was my only (small) criticism of the fabulous Spring Course in Feb - unless you could literally run into the watching studio and nab the front two rows (impossible on crutches!) all you could see were other parents' heads.

• Like 1

When we went to watch Friends DD only decided to sit down at the last minute so were in the middle of a row towards the back and then wished we had stayed standing up as would have seen more easily!!

I realise you probably could not stand for long Spanner and P in your particular case is it not possible to have a quiet word so to speak and reserve a seat for the performance? I think this would be very acceptable.

• Like 2